Kitchen Aide Stand Mixer

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Karen, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I think I'm one of the only people I know that doesn't have one of these mixers! Recently my 13 YO son has been showing an interest in cooking. He's been watching a YouTube channel about cooking and wants to do fancy things like grinding his own meat for burgers and making pasta from scratch. Whoa! So I quickly looked up a meat grinder and pasta maker on Amazon to see how much they would be and saw that there are attachments for both of those things for the Kitchen Aide mixer... who knew?

That got me thinking that maybe I would like having one of those things to get away from my hand mixer too. SO... this is my long-winded method of asking... what is the difference between all of the model of those stand mixers and which one should I get?

2. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Karen likes this.
  3. Karen

I think I'd really like having a handle on the side of the bowl like that one! I live in the town where the world headquarters of Whirlpool is (they make Kitchen Aide) and they have a sale once a year up to 40% off retail prices, so I'm hoping they will have a selection of mixers there at good prices. :agree

norton94 likes this.
  4. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

I've had my Kitchenaid Classic for 25+ years and I love it more than words can express. I don't have a model number (it's so old the tag has faded out), but I'm pretty sure it's the K45SS. It's 4.5 quarts, which is big enough for average recipes. I've used it for everything from cakes to bread to meatloaf, and if you're looking for something on the inexpensive side you can't beat it.

If price isn't an issue I'll recommend a larger size - it's much better to have the volume and not need it than the other way around. Would also recommend ones that come with a handled bowl.

cfile likes this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I love the Kitchenaide Mixer too... My father loved to cook and had the 75th Anniversary edition with an engraved bowl with his name on it. I now have it. I will say though that we bought a seperate pasta maker that isn't an attachment to the Mxer. I see it is the same pasta maker that is on all the cooking channels and we bought it at a gourmet kitchen shop.. it was I think at most $30? Anyway, when hubby makes his own pasta we use that.

I do think my father bought the grinder attachment and had a sausage casing stuffer machine.. we don't make our own sausage so I am thinking my brother and I gave that away 7 years ago. Definitely get the mixer it really is awesome! I had my parents Sunbeam mixer for years that I inherited when Dad bought the Kitchenaid... after Dad passed and I inherited his Kitchenaid, I donated the GE handmixer and the Sunbeam mixer.

Good on your son wanting to cook!!!

Karen and blueberries like this.
  6. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I think I have the same one as Brenda mine is 22 years old. A few years ago it wouldn't start and my husband found me crying in front of the mixer. A week after that it started working again. I have the grinder attachment, the pasta one and the ice cream one. I don't have to tell you which one is my fav... ICE CREAM! Heads up about the grinder attachment, if you are going to be grinding meat then you need one for meat and one for the rest of the grinding. That sucker is hard to clean.

Karen and blueberries like this.
  7. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I have a 30 year old Kitchen Aid Mixer, and it is the gift that MY family always gives for wedding gifts.

Grinding meats, veggies ect….. YES YES YES! When my Sokee wasn't doing well in her later years she needed to be on a low sodium diet. Yah, right, try and buy a low sodium dog food! So I was making her food in large batches then freeze them by serving size. THE attachment for this is a life saver!

Just looked and COSTCO has a $80 dollar off coupon! Coupon good until Nov 24th.
    AND our family has priced these machines out. Costco does have the best deal. The size of their motor is the largest you can get on the market, which puts it at a professional size. If you think he is ever going to use it for making bread or a heavier dough you will need the larger motor and bowl.
    If this mixer is for your son. DO NOT buy the glass bowl. My daughter has the glass bowl and she said she hardly uses it as it gets really heavy once your dough is done being mixed.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Karen likes this.
  8. Sokee

BevG likes this.
  9. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

LOVE my mixers- yes I have 3 total! :backing

We got the artisan small one (in silver) for a wedding gift (14 years ago!) and I've use the crap out of that thing! I've bought replacement whisks, bowls, etc. Last year for my birthday (right around Black Friday!!) my hubby got me this one in my favorite mint/teal color-
    [​IMG]
    https://www.target.com/p/kitchenaid...r/-/A-15840495?preselect=53676345#lnk=sametab
    (it was FAR less $$ than that!)

Then a few months ago, one my my hubby's employee's wife passed away & he gave me her old mixer- it's another artisan 4 qt- but in Navy blue! Since it was his wife's I feel like I HAVE to use it! SO now I can have cupcake batter, fillings AND frosting going all at once! :happydance2

BevG and blueberries like this.
  10. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I am no help, I have a 32 year old hand mixer.
    Good luck with your search though.

11. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I have the KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer that my husband bought me for Christmas probably 9 years ago? I LOVE it. I use it for a variety of things outside of baking and mixing including shredding chicken. The only attachment I have bought is the ice cream maker and that thing is AMAZING.

Karen, Dalis and blueberries like this.
  12. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm with you, Karen! I don't have one either, but really thinking I'd like to have one. My mom has one and I keep thinking I'm going to drop hints, and then she'll say that she doesn't really use hers anymore, she'll just give it to me :giggle

Karen, Dalis and Sokee like this.
  13. Sokee

:happydance:happydance:happydance:lol:lol:lol:perfect

14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My daughter owns one of the 4qt size. She inherited it from a friend who brought it home from work. I love using it, although it is heavier than a regular stand mixer. Boy can that baby make bread! We don't have any of the extra attachments, but I have considered getting the pasta one for her.

15. Dalis

16. Dalis

I just checked and OMG... it's 590WATTS! that's a monster.... I might need one of the Costco ones for the holidays!

Karen likes this.
  17. Dalis

OMG... I HAVE TO AGREE! We reconfigured my freezer so there is a SPOT for the bowl to stay there ALL THE TIME so we can make ice cream WHENEVER!!! (the one downsize for the ice cream one is that you need to freeze the bowl I think it's 8-12 hrs before you can make ice cream).

Karen likes this.
  18. Dalis

Ok, Bianca made fresh pasta with the attachment about 2-3 years ago... BEST PASTA IN THE WORLD!

Karen likes this.
  19. Karen

Awesome! Thank you all for the great ideas and feedback. I didn't know about the ice cream maker attachment. I'm pretty sure that's going to be needed if I do get a mixer! :agree

Dalis likes this.
  20. Karen

I'd love to know what the pasta maker is that you have... $30 would be a great Christmas gift idea! Just in case I don't get the mixer.... although every one here is pretty much convincing me that I should! :giggle That's so cool that you have your Dad's anniversary edition mixer too! I love that!