dull and damp weather

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by Angela Toucan, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I'm struggling with the Photography challenge this month.
    How do I take a photo of a dull grey, damp day without it just looking like a bad photo of a dry cloudy day?

2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Sometimes, I convert a photo to black and white and it makes all the difference, Angela. Pair the b&W photo with some bright fall colors and make it pop.

cfile and Angela Toucan like this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I love taking photos of rain!

Turn it around. Try to get a photo of the rain in motion... such as drops hitting the ground and splashing up. Or zoom in on something in the background that will show the rain actually coming down. I have an evergreen tree that is great for me to zoom in on and I can see either rain or snow.

Think outside of the box, I'm sure you will come up with something!

4. Angela Toucan

thanks.
    No rain though - just very damp, and low light. Humidity in the 80s and higher most of the time

5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

You can make it more interesting by changing the perspective of your angle/framing. Look at what you are going to photograph and them change the distance, height, framing, etc until you find something that catches your eye.

HavaDrPepper and Angela Toucan like this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Angela, is anything growing right now? Mums or other fall flowers? Or what about a copse of evergreens, which will stand out against the gray skies? Heck, just a lone deciduous tree, void of leaves, would make for a beautiful silhouette against the gray. You've got some great tips from others, too, so I bet you'll find a way to make this challenge work for you. The weather doesn't sound fun for you right now, but maybe your page could be a kind of weather scrap therapy?

Sorry about your humidity, though. Ugh.

7. Angela Toucan

8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

It is hard with the gray damp and dreary days.. I had that when I went to the horse stables... I just took some photos and tried to boost with elements/papers. I love Sara's idea with the silhouette .. then make the photo b/w and boost it like we did for the technique challenge.. that will brighten the gray day :) Good luck Angela!

Angela Toucan and Tree City like this.
  9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Well for me, the main problem of dry, flat dull days is mental - it zaps my motivation to take pics at all; I will have to remember the 'look for silhouettes & think how it'd look in B&W' ideas next time! To amp up the sky on the page though, adding vellum clouds or sun elements etc or maybe placing the title in the empty(white or grey) sky spot on the pic & building the clustering from there would be my suggestion

Angela Toucan likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm in the same boat here... once fall hits, we have mostly cloudy days all fall and winter and it's just blah and boring to photograph. You have some great ideas above though!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  11. Angela Toucan

thank you for your help
    [​IMG]

wvsandy, mrs2a50 and cfile like this.
  12. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

13. rlucasmn

rlucasmn Headed to Craigh na Dun... and beyond