Haunted Houses | Pad Patter 10.13

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Oct 13, 2019.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

It's that spooky season!! We were going to try to go to a haunted house this weekend, but it just didn't work out. There are several in the area that are really fun, and a few places that are supposed to be actually haunted. Lake Shawnee Amusement Park is right down the road, and it's an old abandoned amusement park that has been visited by several of the ghost hunting shows. Then up the road a little ways is the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum that is truly creepy and supposedly haunted. Both of those do really fun stuff at Halloween! We are also still planning to get to Carowinds Amusement Park for their Scarowinds event before the season is over. The whole family loves the scary stuff!

Do you do haunted houses? Any haunting experiences??

2. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Only once. In England where we lived, they had what was called a Spooky House and my two boys wanted to go. The elder was 6ish but the younger one was just under 3. He was the daring one of our two so we decided to take him in. They both seemed to enjoy it as we walked though and various community members jumped out or made scary noises. Iain, the younger, was fine until he walked out. Then he burst into tears.

I don't have much interest in haunted houses etc and I will NEVER go in a maze. I got lost in the one at Hampton Court in London as an adult. Never again.:cornfused:cornfused:cornfused

3. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I very much dislike being scared.

Lisa B and IntenseMagic like this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I don't do anything scary and won't even watch scary movies.

mcurtt, Lisa B and IntenseMagic like this.
  5. IntenseMagic

I'm with you on the mazes. I don't like them at all!

6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

When I was a teen there was an elaborate haunted house called Scream In The Dark set up in the mall parking lot a few years in a row. I went once or twice with my older sister. I thought it was very cleverly designed and it was the type with people jumping toward you screaming, "Aahhh!" I'm sort of neutral about being scared. I don't hate it but I don't seek it out either. And I rarely choose to watch scary movies. Since Scream In The Dark I can't really remember any haunted anything I've visited, but probably I'm forgetting some. I have been in the Disney Haunted house ride when I was there several years ago.

Juliestcyr and IntenseMagic like this.
  7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Well, I'll scare you and tell you I was part of a scary house when I was a teenager. I was very involved in church youth group and our church had a festival as an alternative to Halloween. There was a scary house meant to be hell. I was in hell with my cousin and we had to scream and thrash around in the fire (fluorescent paint on black fabric cut in flames and set in motion by a fan and a black light). The guy with us had Vaseline on his face with macaroni noodles to simulate worms eating his flesh. The black light made that look surprisingly real. He was VERY good at screaming. I got really scared my own self several times as there would be group after group walked through the house.

I can laugh about it now. But seriously, hell is no joke AND it's not something you should employ as a tactic to share the good news, you know? Heck, I'm 50 and still working through some of the scary stuff that happened to me as a part of that church in that time (it's changed a lot with a different pastor and changing times).

Having said all that, I do love to read a good Stephen King novel. I just re-read The Stand and I'm now re-reading IT. So I don't mind a good scare, thrill, or suspense. I used to watch scary movies, but these days there are different things that are scary to me. Like movies with children in them, where the children are lost or are hurt. That scares the bejebus out of me. I was watching 48 Hours and other true crime shows, and had to stop watching them when I started having nightmares. The books I can put down when it starts getting to be too much, but a movie, you just watch it and then it's done . . . so I don't really watch them much anymore.

wvsandy, Christina W and IntenseMagic like this.
  8. gonewiththewind

Oh wait! I was cross stitching last night and Jay put on a movie called Fractured that's on Netflix. It was super suspenseful. It was good but not good, you know? I was able to distract myself from most of it with my stitching. LOL

Lisa B, Ferdy and IntenseMagic like this.
  9. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

The local Sugar Shack/Berry Picking/Pumpkin Picking Farm has a haunted house/corn maze thing called "Skreamers". My 14 year-old (who didn't last through the first episode of the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina) called me at work on Friday and said, "So I want to go to Skreamers with my friends, but I am also really scared so maybe could you come with me? But like, you're not there with my friends, so like, maybe bring one of your friends and pretend you guys really wanted to go. But, like still be no more than an arms length away."
    I told her that if she still needs her mom to go through a haunted house, maybe she's not ready for a haunted house yet.

Christina W and IntenseMagic like this.
  10. IntenseMagic

Whew! I'm glad to hear that church made changes over the years. That could leave some scars for sure!
    Love me some Stephen King, too. I'm not a fan of gorey anything...to me that's not scary, just gross. I have trouble with movies involving children, too. The one scene in Pet Semetary with the truck stuck with me for years!
    I'll have to check out Fractured. I like suspense! I watched In the Tall Grass based on Stephen King's book the other day and was really kind of disappointed.

11. IntenseMagic

My 13 year old held my hand all the way through a haunted house last year. When we got out, someone yelled out "Was it scary?" And he yelled back, "Not if you hold your mom's hand" :giggle

Lisa B, Karen and Juliestcyr like this.
  12. gonewiththewind

They haven't made enough changes for me to be a member! LOL I've found a home church elsewhere, though!

AJK and IntenseMagic like this.
  13. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Haunted houses? Well, that depends. I'll be upfront and say first that I don't participate in the 31st observance. (I understand that it is my experience, and I am not wanting to do anything but contribute to this thread.) When we were at our second pastorate, we experienced a truly haunted house. Doors opened on their own, footsteps on the stairway were heard, a coffin was left in the barn/garage: a sulfuric smell we could not place, white flashes of light swishing through rooms,and feelings of being watched were frequent in the parsonage. :scared:hide After a while, the people finally opened up about the previous pastor's family. Turns out the eldest son was into the occult. He had a small coffin he would keep in his station wagon. He heard voices and one told him to offer his infant daughter. He ended up causing her death. :cryAccording to the church members, they had seen parties said to be orgies in the upstairs of the parsonage. We learned that we could pray through the house, taking authority over any unwelcome influence. We did. We discovered an ouija board in the upstairs closet, hidden between the wall and the chimney. We destroyed it. The smell disappeared, the flashes of light and noises disappeared. It is our experience that there is a reality to the things that are part of halloween. :nod
    So, haunted houses, yeah, I lived in one. Been there, got the heebies and won't ever return,:nope LOL!
    Movies- I stay away from "dark" stuff.I do like suspense though- as long as it doesn't get into the dark stuff. :innocent
    I have never understood those things. I know they are still popular, especially here in the South. But IMHO, God isn't about fear. In fact, He says "fear not". so fear cannot be a genuine motivation to change, but love is very strong in that. Glad you have found a place that gives peace.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  14. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Nope, the only haunted anything I will do is Disney's Haunted Mansion. I don't like horror movies or TV shows either.

Lisa B, IntenseMagic and HavaDrPepper like this.
  15. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

I don't do scary. Like at all.
    We were watching an episode of Psych, and it was horror themed -- I mean it is a cop show, we knew there was a logical explanation for it -- but I was SO SCARED!! I watched most of it through a tiny corner of my hoodie that I kept up the whole time. I don't like ghost shows, I get terrified of bumps in the night when everyone is asleep.
    I don't need to do any thing else scary!!

[​IMG]

Lisa B, IntenseMagic and AJK like this.
  16. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Nope. Don't do them. I'd much rather watch "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!"

I've been to them when in middle school and I was so scared I promised myself never again. I didn't care who made fun of me!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh my gosh, this is bringing back some old and classic scary movie memories. One of them was "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" with Betty Davis and Joan Crawford. My sister and I went to a downtown theater to see this and we were so freaked out that we were "The Man With The Atom Brain" - I was a kid and don't even remember who was in this one. The neighborhood kids decided that we were going to go into town and see this. I had nightmares for weeks over that one. I hate scary movies and now refuse to watch them.

I remember when "The Exorcist" came out and a group of us went out to dinner, then somebody got the brainstorm to go see it. One of the guys in the group and me refused to go, so the rest of the group went and we didn't. I still have never seen this movie.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I wanted to see that movie, but was afraid of being too scary...so maybe I'll give it a try, and watch it in the weekend!

19. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

well, we don't really celebrate Halloween here in Brazil, so many of the traditions we don't have. Sometimes some amusement parks do a "Scary night" thing, but I never went, not a big fan...I don't like horror and/or paranormal movies, it scares me a lot...

IntenseMagic likes this.
  20. gonewiththewind

It was creepy in certain parts, but more suspenseful, trying to figure out what was going on kind of thing. It wasn't a horror/gory kind of flick, so I think you would be OK.

Ferdy likes this.