How are you connected (internet)?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by SeattleSheri, Oct 12, 2019.

1. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

We are cable internet and own our router. We have two desktops hardwired and many devices that utilize the wifi. We bought this router from Amazon but it's from 4 years ago so there are definitely better options out now :)

SeattleSheri likes this.
  2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

We recently updated our service but the details won't matter to you b/c we're in Canada. Shaw offers a digital system based on Comcast algorithms and I was able to talk them down to $50 less than we paid before, free installment of everything and now we have voice activated synced PVR's. It was a game changer for us. We have the modem from them but got it almost free for 2 yrs and then will have to renegotiate. I love being able to watch on my tablet or laptop and it syncs with all the other tvs and devices. We also got our internet speed increased a tremendous amount too for free. We are still amazed at how it all worked out for us. Hope you get a great system too.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I know this is older, but we have Cox - also cable internet.

My desktop, the tv, and the PS4 are hardwired. Everything else runs wirelessly. We have a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 cable Modem Wifi Router. We were sick of paying the rental fee too! We don't use cox voice, so mine's not rated for that. We do have a phone plugged into the router though through my cell company and it works fine. When we lived in an apartment, we had a TP-LINK AV500 2-Port Powerline Adapter, up to 500Mbps. You plug it in and it uses your house wires to act as a hardwired internet to the other box. Hard to explain, but it worked great! We have my computer near enough the router that we haven't needed it here.

A tip I learned is to buy one that works at the highest speed you think you can get. Ours wouldn't work with the new gigabite internet, but since I know we won't upgrade to that, I don't worry about it. We actually downgraded our internet speed and I've only noticed when I'm uploading photos.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Strictly wifi here through Verizon Fios though our cell phones are with ATT because the was better when we were going overseas a lot but I WANT Verizon BACK!! He's almost relented.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  5. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Our house is fairly large at ~3,500 sq ft / 3 levels, including a basement that is framed by concrete, so the trick is going to be for us to get service down there (that's where my new office is). I'm planning to use the Ethernet ports to be hard-wired when I WFH. I initially bought an Arris modem/router combo plus two Wi-Fi extenders, but I'm disappointed with the range, so I'm planning to return it (it's better than the Comcast provided system, but still not adequate). I purchased a Netgear Nighthawk modem (AC1100) and an Eero mesh system because it's a huge pain constantly having to change networks on wireless devices and the mesh system is supposed to alleviate that. We'll see. I have Comcast coming back later this week. I won't get into it, but let's just say I had an abysmal experience with them when they completed their service call last week ... and yes, I totally agree about paying attention to the speed requirements. We pay for 500 mbps, so I made sure everything we have will work with that.

bestcee likes this.