Digital Pin Exchange - Fall 2019

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by bestcee, Aug 21, 2019.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

NEW DEADLINE: October 31, 2019
    For the rest of August and September our Fall Pin Exchange topic will be:

Fall and School
    (Fall means whatever it looks like in your neck of the woods!)

The History: Mommyish (Leah) did a Pin Exchange to celebrate the release of her Enamel Pin Builder. Since then, she has added more pin building options. And since this started a love of enamel pins... The Pin Exchange was born and carried on!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Theme: Fall & School
    No limits on Pins.
    Deadline: October 3rd, 2019
    Upload: Here

How do I even make a pin?!?
    • Install the Enamel Pin Builder Styles and Actions
    • Watch the video tutorials for your program. If you are still unsure, post in this thread for help.
    • Find an idea. Pinterest has lots of ideas for Enamel pins.
    • Get creative! Use your tools, talents, text, etc to create interesting effects.
    Remember, since you are sharing the item with others, graphics must be CU (Commercial Use) okay.

How do I save my pin for other folks?

• Create a new document that is 300 ppi in RGB format with a transparent background.
    • Pins shouldn't be gigantic. 2 inches or smaller is about right.
    • Save your pin as a .png to maintain transparent background
    • Name it: username_tlpxchange_pinname.png
    • Upload above!
    Here's the video links:
    Mommyish TLP Pin Exchange How to make enamel pins in PSE
    Mommyish Enamel Pin Builder Drawing by Hand
    Dalis Process for Making Enamel Pins

@angiekey Gave us these helpful written instructions:
    It helped me to think about how these pins are physically made. Enamel pins are first cast in metal, as the pin back and the raised ridges for the outline of the design. Then, they pour liquid enamel into each of the spaces to create the colored areas. The liquid pools into the space, thicker along the edges, and then dries.
    1. Create your metal cast - that's the outline of your design. It goes on one layer all by itself. Draw it in the color you want the metal to be - any shade of grey works great, or gold - but be aware that black doesn't always show up well with the style.
    2. Turn your outline to metal.
    Once you've got your design done, apply style Pin Builder - Metal Rim to that layer.
    3. Start filling the spaces with enamel. Create a new layer and fill it with the color for your first enamel section. This layer should be BELOW your metal frame layer.
    Then apply one of the enamel styles to the enamel layer: Enamel - Thin, Enamel Small, Enamel - Med, or Enamel Large. The one you choose will be entirely based on how you want the pin to look, and how deep the "pooling" of the enamel will look around the edges of your metal frame.
    4. Keep going until you've filled your whole design. I found it easiest to do each section of enamel on its own layer. You might also choose to put all your enamel color on a single layer. If you do this, you need to make sure the different wells of color are separated - otherwise, you won't get that cool look where it pools up next to the metal.
    5. Final Touch. And then as a final touch, when you're happy with your pin, merge the layers together, make sure your foreground color is set to the same color as your metal rim, and then play the action "Give It Depth". It will add a really cool edge to the lower right side of your pin that makes it look like a thicker enamel pin, like it's standing off the background by its pin back.

Artisan users: Bev has a post here to help you out! https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/creating-enamel-pins-in-artisan-5.64156/

Let's see those fun pins!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    crazsquaw likes this.
  2. crazsquaw

crazsquaw I can totally make that...

Can't wait to see the new creations- wishing my Autumn involved palm trees! LOL

spenny and tinkerbell1112 like this.
  3. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

WoW....doesn't look as though anyone is playing anymore. I have some to share ...stay tuned.

4. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

Here is my 1st one. Fall Forest Leaf Pins.jpg

5. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

6. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

7. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

I will be back with a few more ......

8. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I really want to do this. What do I do? Make the pins in the fall themed and post here? Am I making my own fall items or are we supposed to use TLP stuff?

9. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

Hi !!! That is great. Making and sharing pins is what this challenge is all about. You will find the instructions at the top of this challenge. Most of us have the Enamel Pin Builder Set from Mommyish. You can use CU items or your own creations from scratch. I personally start with some sort of Template outline or Line art. There are places to obtain CU outlines at no charge. Info is in the challenge post at top of the page. Read over everything and post any questions you have here. I have been participating in this challenge for quite a while now and I have a beautiful collection of pins. There is always a theme of sorts and the challenges very in length. Most often you have a couple or three months to create. Hope you join in.

10. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

Here is the last of what I got done.
    Misc Fall Wordart.jpg

11. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

I posted these two on a separate background because I thought having no fill on these two was pretty. Thought you might enjoy them also.
    Hello Autumn in gold filigree.jpg

Lisa B likes this.
  12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Ahhhh- finally getting back to this!

spenny likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I left it open in case anyone had some to add! I'll leave it until October 31, 2019.
    @AJK And anyone else who wants to participate!

14. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

I thought I would do some stuff for Halloween. Here is my first post :)
    Cutie Monster Alpha UC preview.jpg

I will be back with some Halloween Wordart.

15. spenny

spenny Well-Known Member

One more for Halloween !! Hope you can all use some wordart :)

Halloween-Wordart-pin_preview-fw.jpg

16. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

17. crazsquaw

crazsquaw I can totally make that...

@bestcee did these get packaged up? Also, is there a Winter challenge...I am not finding one.