myths & mayhem | Pad Patter 20 Sept

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Sep 20, 2019.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

DS has been obsessed with dragons since he was about 3 or 4yrs old. A few years back, he went through stages of having bad dreams after he read about 'Yowies' and now he's stuck on the Jersey Devil, that until this week, I hadn't even heard of! As a kid myself, once in a while, you'd hear adults warning kids not to go near the creek, or the Bunyip would get you! (And y'know, it's funny but none of the images on these Wiki pages are even remotely like what I imagined them to be like as a child and still now! I guess I never went and looked them up in an encyclopaedia!)

So does anyone you know have the same kind of penchant for any mythical creatures? Have you visited Loch Ness? Seen anything unusual or gone in search of something mythical? Own a unicorn onesie?! (no judgements here!)
    (And had you heard of the Jersey Devil before? He has asked me if i 'know' people in Jersey through TLP that might have seen it - i think because in his mind scrapbookers take photos of everything and i think he's looking for photographic proof beyond his readings and sketches! Have a great weekend!)

KarenB likes this.
  2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I haven't heard of any of those before!

I do love fantasy and thrillers, so creatures do fascinate me!

bellbird likes this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I visited Loch Ness... not the Inn or the Nessie touristy stuff but on our tour through Scotland the coach (bus) did stop at Loch Ness... My hubby took a photo and told me he found "Nessie"... here is the page from my book... "Our Nessie" is the bottom photo :) (All elements are from @Kate Kate Hadfield Designs... staple is one I made)

cncengnscotdiscpg120-copy-2.jpg

Re other mysticals.. of course you know I am the HP fan and of course the Twilight Vampires + Dark Shadows :) I lived in NY for over 30 years and I never heard of a Jersey Devil unless it was an athletic team

bellbird, KarenB and Cherylndesigns like this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

What a wonderful layout, Christa! @cfile I'd love to go there. I used to have a Loch Ness monster - I got it in a museum bookstore. I've since misplaced him, but he sat on a table and was made up of only the head, two humps and a tail - it looked like the bottom halves were all underwater.

Justine, @bellbird I've never heard of any of the mythical creatures you mentioned. I think it's fun to believe in things like this.

bellbird, KarenB and cfile like this.
  5. cfile

Thanks Cheryl.. the page is from my vacation book. So sorry you misplaced your Nessie... maybe it will still turn up. I remember after we moved we found things later one we thought we lost :)

bellbird likes this.
  6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I keep hoping he'll turn up, Christa.

bellbird and cfile like this.
  7. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

We went to Loch ness this summer and I was desperate - I mean, desperate to see the monster! No luck though :nope
    But Poppy dog enjoyed paddling at the water's edge
    [​IMG]
    I haven't heard of any of this, except the Bunyip. Wouldn't have a clue what he looks like though:eyeroll

bellbird likes this.
  8. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I've camped a lot throughout BC and Ontario but never saw Bigfoot :) It fascinated me as a kid.

I've always been a sci-fi/fantasy fan so love books and movies about mythical creatures and anything supernatural or fantasy.

bellbird likes this.
  9. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

The Jersey Devil - haha. I'm a Jersey girl and we lived not too far from the start of the "area" where the Jersey Devil was sup'd to roam the woods (called the "Sticks"). It's basically South Jersey - or the Pine Barrens. We were right smack dab in the middle of the State - so not far at all. My Dad used to horrify me with stories of it. Couldn't go into the woods alone! I deft'ly grew up hearing stories - I don't know anyone who actually believed it to be anything more than a myth though. (with the exception of young kids who had Dads like mine! :eyeroll )

bellbird likes this.
  10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

lol so he's your bunyip! i'll be sure to let him know! (i grew up mostly in an outer area of sydney that my inner city family also called 'the sticks' - no bunyips or creeks near them! and certainly not now even where i grew up because it's all houses and townhouse estates - urban development is probably not helpful even to mythical creatures!)

jenn mccabe likes this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

We have a plush Nessie in the travel ornament cupboard - he's got the body of a green bear and the head of a snake basically with a 'tammy shanta' (?spelling) on his head, a plaid/tartan golfers kind of hat, that DS bought on a trip before we met as his Dad's fam has Scottish heritage and so, i have sat through more than a few Loch Ness documentaries over the years. I think one of the last ones believed he was some kind of giant electric eel and there was a recent scientific snippet on the news about scientists saying there was no DNA in the water that would suggest a pre-historic monster etc I remember DS came running when he heard them say Loch Ness Monster on the news and kind of looked on in disbelief!

cfile likes this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

LOL i loved Harry and the Hendersons as a kid!

13. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Nah, I'm lame. I'm too rooted in science to think there are truly any species out there that have eluded us.

bellbird likes this.
  14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i know what you mean! i'm more Scully but with a dash of Mulder :giggle

SeattleSheri likes this.
  15. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Big foot is the Pacific NW‘s myth!!
    B7583E65-B44E-4ED4-81B3-1DEC84B2096C.jpeg

jenn mccabe and KarenB like this.
  16. cfile

Does your Nessie look like that? I took this photo in our local UK store :) ..BTW I heard that it was an eel too that was spotted but I like the monster thought :)
    IMG_6369.JPG

jenn mccabe likes this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Haha yep that's him! Your local shop has got to be a lot cheaper & faster to get to than loch ness for the next time ;-) although I know you don't just love Scotland for the monster sightings!

cfile likes this.
  18. cfile

Yup- true.. LOL I love scotland for everything .. including Haggis :) XO

19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

A
    ACtually that woolly coo is awesome!

cfile likes this.
  20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Lol u can keep the haggis... And all the bagpiping!

cfile likes this.