Thought I was ready - not so much lol

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Coreen, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Coreen

Coreen Active Member

Well, I thought I was ready to create my first layout. I watched a lot of Lightroom tutorials. I've been working on importing and organizing photos. I found the photos I wanted to scrap this first time. Found a project life template I wanted to use and even found some kit ideas here with help from the forum. Now I'm stuck, ha! I've realized two things....

1. I have no idea how to use Abobe Bridge and I thought I'd use that for organizing digital supplies.
    2. I figured out which pictures I wanted to scrap, did a few basic edits. How do I get those photos into PSE easily? I mean, I know I can go and open them, but I have them flagged with a RED color label in Lightroom, so...how do I know which ones those are when I try to open the photos in PSE?

Clearly I have more learning to do, lol!

Karen likes this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

um, it's been years since i used Lightroom, i dont even have it installed but i think there's an 'export' option from memory - does this help? https://shootdotedit.com/2018/03/how-to-export-photos-from-lightroom/ then once you've exported your edited RED photos, you should be able to just drag them from the ffolder that you exported them to, straight into PSE

Karen likes this.
  3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

It works for me to drag the photo (the thumbnail of the photo, not the enlarged version in single photo view) from Lightroom into Photoshop. I don't know if PSE would allow the same though. Another thing you can do is right-click on the photo in Lightroom and choose "Open in Finder" (or whatever the files are called on a PC).

4. Coreen

Coreen Active Member

thanks guys! i actually exported the photos and then opened them in pse that way. i tried the drag and drop deal...no such luck with the ways i tried it.

5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I have PSE 2018 and an older version of LR - yeah, the drag and drop directly from LR does not work. You have to Export. Also, remember that LR is non-destructive -- all those changes are hiding in a database - not in your photo file. So if you open a photo outside of LR, say in PSE, you will get the original photo and not your edited one. So do a Export - that will create a new photo file that includes all your changes.

I have a folder called Export Lightroom and it is my default export folder in LR. This gives me one place to look for exported photos. I can then move them into another folder, email them, print them, whatever. Then I can delete them without worrying about deleting the photo from my library.

I also have a folder called Photos to Scrap - again a temporary holder for the album I am working scrapping. It is the jpg version of my photos with all the edits applied.

And yes, you can drag from the system folder into PSE. It will open the file and show up in your Photo Bin. I do that all the time when scrapping. That is also how I get my artwork into PSE.

Coreen likes this.