Just starting out - how do you search for supplies

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Coreen, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Coreen

Coreen Active Member

Okay, I've gone through a bunch of lightroom tutorials to learn how to organize my photos. I think I'm going to start scrapping with photoshop elements since I already own that. I have always been a chronological scrapper, but it's been YEARS since I've done anything, so I am way behind. I have decided to start with 2019 and go from there. The first thing I want to attempt to scrap in my son's winter dance. I will most likely go the pocket page template route and I feel comfortable finding those. If I were doing traditional scrapbooking, I would normally look through my patterned papers that went well with the colors in the photos and then go from there to put together the supplies used on the page. The colors worn for the dance were navy, black, white and a very light creamy gold colors. The flowers were a light pink. I have NO CLUE how to go about searching in the store for the right kit, papers, flair, etc. I didn't notice a way to search by color theme. I am curious how anyone else started out. I don't currently have any digi supplies, so it's not like I can just search for keywords like navy or pink or something. Lol! Help!! :)

umyesh likes this.
  2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

You could try doing a search for "dance" or "prom" or "winter". You can also search by color, but you will get a bunch of hits that way. You can also use the Advanced Search function to find things by a specific designer.

Of course, you can always ask too because face it, we are a bunch of enablers!

I did an Advanced search on black white gold and found this kit. While the topic is Christmas, there are also many winter type items in there too.
    [​IMG]

3. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I also searched the store for "formal" (just in the general "search" box at the top of the page) and got a hit which has some navy and black papers and elements that might be helpful for your dance-themed page. It even has some pink! Combined with the kit that Bev found, you might have covered your bases here.
    [​IMG]

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

The WA has lots of "prom," but there are som great dance items in this kit. I love it!
    [​IMG]
    as far as searching the store: I love the advanced search option because I can choose to look ONLY in Kits or for a certain designer(s). Good luck finding something that works for your pics!

5. Coreen

Coreen Active Member

you guys are awesome! not only did you give me ideas on how to search for things, you actually searched and shared some product ideas. thanks!!

Karen and Tree City like this.
  6. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I thought of this collab when you mentioned the colors of your photo.
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/COLLAB-Of-Wishes-Hopes-and-Dream-Part-Two.html
    [​IMG]

BevG likes this.
  7. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

If you have more questions like this in the future, you can also post questions like this in the Personal Shopper aka ISO Thread and people will always try to help just like they have here. Good luck and have fun scrapping!

Coreen likes this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this one & Kayla's collab came to mind for me - the star of your story and colours made me think of this one (i'm not sure if it's available separately but if you're thinking pockets, the cards would come in handy anyway - click thru to the store for the detailed previews of each pack)
    [​IMG]
    as for searches, i go with advanced search usually as well - if i think i want to add stars or sparkle, i just type those words in and it usually gives me enough kit ideas that i can start scrapping in my head and that helps me get it on the screen/page easier

9. Coreen

Coreen Active Member

Well, I muddled my way through creating a layout. I was not nearly as ready as I thought. It took forever and there's not much to it. I still have a lot to figure out, but I'm happy I created something. My son took a screenshot of it when I snapped it to him, so that makes it worth it. He said, awwww that looks good. :) Anyway, I'm not uploading to the gallery at this point, but wanted to share that I got something done. Ha! 2019-01-26-Sweetheart-Ball-Web.jpg

10. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Aw, how nice that your son appreciates your scrapping efforts!! That page looks wonderful and the photos are great!

11. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

welcome @Coreen
    Your first digi layout is beautiful, well done.
    Check out all the designer's newsletters for new product info and discounts. Also I find the Gallery is a great place to search for ideas. There's a section specific for pocket style pages too, with some of our designers making kits specially for that style.

12. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

That's a great first page. So glad you found a kit and those photos are fab! :)

13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

First of all I LOVE your first page! I should show you my first page and you'd realize how great yours really is! :giggle
    You should pop that baby in the gallery for sure, so we can all leave you some love!

Second, I really really love that you are popping your questions here in the forum so we can help you AND see the end results too! Yay! :)

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh... and to answer your question... when I have somethign that I'm trying to scrap by colors, not theme, I usually start by looking in the BYOC months until I find the colors I like. And I also do the same with Just Jaimee's storyteller collections. They are HUGE and have tons of generic items and papers that are super versatile, so I browse that section until some colors catch my eye. :agree

https://the-lilypad.com/store/BYOC-Past/

https://the-lilypad.com/store/Just-Jaimee/?catid=64

wvsandy likes this.
  15. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Your page is fabulous! The most important things are the photos and journaling. :love