Injuries | Pad Patter 9.15

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Sep 15, 2019.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I am incredibly clumsy and injure myself all the freaking time, but I have a couple that really make me giggle to think back on.
    When I was in college, I got an A on a speech I wrote. Being really shy growing up, it was a huge deal for me. I was dancing around in my dorm room to celebrate and tried to do a ballerina twirl. It ended with a sprained ankle.
    The other time was when I was chasing the kids around the house while playing and slammed in to the arm of the couch. My entire thigh was bruised for weeks.

So, inquiring minds want to know... What is the dumbest way you've ever been injured?

umyesh likes this.
  2. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Probably my battle with an avocado three years ago that ended with 8 stitches in my finger and needing to have my wedding ring cut off. Not my finest moment.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

whaaaat?!

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Hmm. Two summers ago I was walking down the stairs and as I stepped off the last stair and onto the floor, I somehow rolled my ankle and sprained it horribly. I just fell to my side and started saying words that I can't repeat here lol. How can I sprain my ankle on a flat surface that I walk on every.single.day, multiple times a day? It was painful for a LONG time.

5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Trying to roller blade at almost 40 years of age (did not do physical activities in my 30's). Went across the street to play with the dog they had with the roller blades on. Fell in my own driveway on the way back. Used my left hand to break my fall.... Broke my hand. Got the splint off 6 weeks later on my 40th birthday. Never had a broken bone before that (well, except for toes).

Never tried to roller blade again.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  6. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Two weeks ago, I shut my own finger in my friend's car door. Like shut it to the point that the door latched (I have no clue how this even happened). It was my right hand and I freaked out that she was going to drive away with my finger still caught in the door. I was yelling at my daughter to open the door for me... in my panic, I completely forgot that I had another functioning hand that I could open the door with :duh

7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

My worst injury occurred when I was in college. I was in my university's bar/arcade/eatery called The Rathskeller. I had eaten a late lunch before I headed off to work for the evening. I had two ways of exiting, but one of them led me by a bunch of guys playing pool and arcade games. I went the opposite way to avoid the guys . . . I don't know . . . I was still very shy even though Jay and I had been dating for a while. Anyway, the way I took was down a carpeted handicap ramp. There was a pillar and a couch blocking off one side of the ramp. I thought it was all a slope, but when I went between the pillar and couch (and it was dimly lit), it was actually a drop off. I severely sprained my left ankle and ended up herniating a disk in my back. Three months later, I had my first back surgery.

I've had LOTS of other injuries that were just downright embarrassing. One of them happened just a couple of years ago . . . and to think about it makes me turn red and get all shaky. LOL

8. honeyandcheese

honeyandcheese Digging the island vibe

Last fall I sat down, my 5mo in my arms, and apparently tipped the front legs of my chair just a little as I did. There was just enough room for my big toe to get caught under the chair leg and then as I sat down, well . . . OW! :cry It wasn't officially broken, but the agony was awful. I could barely walk for the next week and just touching it over the next couple months hurt like crazy. The bruising on my toe nail still hasn't all grown out and it's been almost a year!

9. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I think it it was my freshman year, spring term, I broke my pinkie finger on my left hand in a pillow fight during finals week. Yeah, I was holding it out like when you drink tea and someone else's pillow slammed it down and it cracked the bone at the joint.

I broke my toe the night before leaving on a business trip to the UK. The phone rang and as I was jumping up I slammed my toe into the wall. Nothing like walking through Heathrow airport with a broken toe. Ouch!

I cut off almost the entire top of my thumb including the nail on my left hand because it was in the way of the bread I was slicing. 4 stitches to put it back on. You can not even tell I did it. Love those Cutco knives - and they say it is the dull knives that cut you - NOT!

Speaking of stitches. One time I was taking out the trash and set the bag down on my bare foot. When I picked it up, it sliced open the top of my foot - yup stitches. This is why you do not just throw broken glass into the trash.

10. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Did you know that avocado cutting related injuries were in the top 3 reasons for ER visits? I know because that's what the doctor told me as he was stitching up my finger...

My most recent boo-boo was breaking my pinkie toe this past summer. Due to the nature of the break I had to stay off my feet as much as possible for 6 weeks - including when we went to California on vacation. I broke it by stubbing my toe on a chair in my living room, and it took me 9 days to figure out I had broken it. I'm still trying to loose the 5 pounds I gained while immobile.

11. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Ohhhhkay, ok. One morning, Hubster and I were having a tiff, and I jerked the bedroom door open in a huff and slammed my big toe into my antique iron which was our door stop.

[​IMG]
    I fell on my face into the foyer and couldn't get up!! lol. Broken toe. Bruised ego. Deserved it! ha.:giggle

12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

The most unforgettable injury was shortly before our youngest DD's wedding. Our oldest DD and I went wedding shoe shopping to this pretty "ritzy" shoe store. On the way in, I stepped in a hole in their sidewalk and long story short - broke my foot. I ended up wearing a lovely black "boot" aka walking cast to the wedding, so it didn't matter about shoes anyway.

I did get a settlement from the store because it was neglect on their part, but that didn't make wearing the "Mother-of-the-Bride boot any more palatable.

13. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Yikes!! Another reason to not eat avocados lol. Oh my goodness, that had to be painful!!

Sprains are the worst! And yeah, I totally trip on flat surfaces all the time lol

Yikes!! You were almost there! I don't do well on roller blades either...definitely not coordinated enough.

Ohhhh ouch!! I did that when I was a little girl and still have the scar. And same, I just stood there screaming haha

Oh my goodness! Sprains are bad enough, but how awful that you had a back injury as well. I have a few of those embarrassing injuries as well. I'm seriously awkward. My dad used to call me Grace.

OUCH!! I've had my share of broken toes...so painful!!

Oh my goodness! You sound about as graceful as me! I did the exact same thing with a bag of trash on top of my foot. I didn't think that sucker would ever quit bleeding! And yep, no glass in the trash!!

I knew there was another reason that I don't eat avocados, other than I don't like them lol. I would for sure be one of those in the ER.

Ooooh those broken toes!!! We used to have one of those as a door stop, too. Hazardous!!

Oh no!! I guess you get to tell stories from those wedding pictures!

14. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

worst one was, it was getting dark, I didn’t have the light on at the time, went to go out of my bedroom, tripped over god knows what now, tried saving myself by grabbing on to the door handle as I was going down but couldn’t save myself, went crashing into the corner of a kitset bookcase that ended up not surviving and I ended up in a heap on the floor.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

LOL My dad called me Spaz.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  16. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I needed stitches once for turning on an epilator with the one hand while holding the cat with the other. I wanted to see what he'd do.
    He exploded away from me and yep - stitches.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have never been graceful and was ALWAYS injuring myself as a kid... one wasn't my fault though... I guess i was born with pretty bad eye sight and the tipping point that finally clued my mother in was when I was running in the backyard and ran smack into a tree! Ooops! :giggle

I'm contanstly bumping into things and ending up with bruises. Last week when I went grocery shopping, I came out of the store and was waiting to cross the "road" in the parking lot because a car was coming, she waved me on, so instead of walking and slowing her down, I thought I'd do a little jog to get out of her way as fast as I could and I kicked my shin bone into the cart I was pushing and I now have a lovely bruise to show for it. This type of thing happens to me a lot. Lol! I try to be nice and I get a bruise. Ha ha!

I broke my collar bone twice as a kid (once while being pulled in a wagon behind a riding lawnmower and once crashing into my sister on bikes at night) and broke my wrist in 7th grade when I was just walking down the hallway and a boy tripped me... caught my fall on my right hand and POOF my wrist was swollen in seconds and I fractured a bunch of those little bones in there. sigh. My parents got questioned at the ER because I broke so many bones in a couple of years. I didn't realize what the doctors thought and I just told them my crazy stories and they would laugh and say "you couldn't make that up" :giggle

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Are you asking today, yesterday, recently, etc.....b/c I have an answer for all of that LOL. I am the clumsiest person you'll ever meet :)

I bump into things, I find bruises all over my body constantly but b/c I'm so used to being clumsy that I don't even think about it and then can't remember where I got the bruises from. I have to be extremely careful when I have my big camera, knowing I am so clumsy.

So, last wkend, I'm out with Bailey, walking through a flat, pebbled trail through the bird sanctuary. We're walking at a leisurely pace, chatting, strolling along and next thing you know, I'm falling to the ground, face first, my DSLR and huge lens are crashing to the ground. It felt like slow motion, I was able to lift my arm up to help protect the camera crash but then I lost the momentum and it came down. I winced as it hit the dirt. Bailey was horrified, standing there in shock, everyone was running towards me, concerned, to see me spread out face first in the dirt. I was worried about B's reaction b/c of her brain injury so I need to calm her fears down so I started to laugh hysterically, as I lifted my dirt, pebbled face off the ground and struggled to sit up. She finally started laughing with me and people just backed away like I was crazy and they didn't want to get too close. I must have trippled over a small rock or something but its a pretty smooth path so I don't know what the heck I did LOL. Luckily the camera and lens were ok, just a few little nicks on the camera body. Whew. We had to wipe me down b/c I was covered in dirt and had pebbles stuck in my cheek. What a day! But, when I told my daughter and hubs they just shook their heads, nodding, like yep....of course you would do this....happens all the time :)

keepscrappin and IntenseMagic like this.
  19. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I was Grace... :huh

20. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

This is a good thread lol my dumbest injury was self-inflicted. Two in one year, in fact. I kicked a bench and broke my toe, and soon after I punched a bench and broke my pinky finger. You'd think I would have learned my lesson from the toe!

IntenseMagic likes this.