ho ho, no no

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Sep 14, 2019.

Christmas gift packs are available in the shops now! What do you think?

1. Too soon!

36 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. Not soon enough!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I've had everything bought and wrapped since Easter!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other - please explain in comments...

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i saw a few aisles of xmas gift packs in a shop i was in this week, y'know the bath sets and perfume packs etc -i may have had a bit of an overreaction but it's just way to soon for me- it does give me the nudge to get my act together and start thinking gift ideas especially as the kids get older and hard to buy for though

KarenB likes this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I'm right with you! It's way too soon, but I need to get thinking about gift ideas! I'm thinking we might have an Instax Christmas because my kids would all love their own cameras to play and print with.

bellbird likes this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I am with you... too soon... It is mid September!!! By the time Christmas is here everyone will not enjoy the season!

KarenB and bellbird like this.
  4. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

We started seeing Christmas items in the last week of August!!! It is only a strong reminder of the commercialization of a Holiday which celebrates a King who came humbly. The irony. I ignore it. I will do what I will do and the "push" doesn't affect me. It also signals to me, that there is a concern for a shift in the economy. ??

KarenB, bellbird and jenevang like this.
  5. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Way too soon. I'm still savoring the last days of summer and plan to enjoy autumn as long as possible. I don't even buy any Christmas gifts until December.

bellbird and SeattleSheri like this.
  6. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

so, this week a friend of mine posted a photo of a supermarket in my city, they were selling panettone (a traditional Italian xmas "cake " very popular in Brazil) and Easter eggs.
    how crazy is this????

bellbird and janedee like this.
  7. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Too early for me too.
    It's just spring!

8. honeyandcheese

honeyandcheese Digging the island vibe

Never too soon! I can embrace and enjoy the preparations for Christmas while simultaneously enjoying autumn and Thanksgiving. Although it's still 90 here not counting the heat index so autumn still seems far away! I don't personally celebrate Halloween, so it's actually nice to have something else to focus on while all that stuff is out in the stores.

As for gifts, I'm not finished yet, but I shop year-round, so I'm getting close to finished. I always save the wrapping for December though.

bellbird and patsyt like this.
  9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Way too soon! But I just ignore it until I'm ready haha.

10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I don't even put the Halloween stuff up til the last week of September! Christmas? too too soon

11. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Too soon! I do have lists that I add things to as my family mentions them... I like having ideas in hand at this point. BUT... everyone in my family has their own money (the kids both have jobs now) and I have no control over what they buy themselves. If I bought something they liked now... there's a good chance that they'll buy it for themselves before Christmas got here. I do ask that after Thanksgiving weekend, that they don't buy anything new for themselves since it might mess up Christmas. Oh... plus Clara's birthday is next month... can't even begin to sort out what to get her Christmas until we see what she gets for her birthday (18!!).

All that said, when they were younger, I started much earlier with my shopping.... they had no money of their own to mess up my plans :giggle

wvsandy and bellbird like this.
  12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Hobby Lobby puts their Christmas stuff out in July!! :banghead

bellbird likes this.
  13. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

For pre-made gifts, that's too early. (Jo-Ann has Christmas stuff out in, like, June. Because makers need TIME to make their gifts, ya know?) But if you ask me, once October 1 hits, then Christmas is right around the corner. (This is my opinion. I know not everyone lives in the US, so they don't celebrate Halloween the way the US does, let alone Thanksgiving on the 4th Thurs of Nov lol, but those are two holidays I do a LOT of decorating/baking for, which means I'm busy. And since I am someone who does celebrate Christmas, that means I have to "back up" my Christmas planning and base it around OTHER holidays and days off of school. I say all this to point out that my wacky ideas are mine and mine alone. :giggle) On top of the usual culturally ingrained and country-specific holiday shenanigans as well as the kids' school shenanigans for those same events, this fall we're going overseas for vacation, AND my family is coming for 10 days over Christmas (including a baby who'll be 8m old and my dad who has yet to figure out his availability!), so I feel that if I don't get my Christmas prep (shopping and some decorating) completed before mid-November, then it won't get done at all. And if that doesn't get done, then ...
    [​IMG]

bellbird likes this.
  14. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I should probably stay out of this one. I think Christmas should only be allowed once every five years. And any mention of “Christmas in July “ guarantees I will not buy it. I don’t want to hear the word Christmas before December 1st. JMHO

jesskab, KarenB, jk703 and 3 others like this.
  15. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I think the store start putting out the Christmas items earlier every year. It used to be that you didn't see anything until right after Halloween and that suited me just fine! Walmart had Halloween and Christmas stuff out together when I was in the other day!

bellbird likes this.
  16. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

This is me too. In my area, we are still squeezing out some summer weather. I also feel like I have to get passed other holidays first - Halloween and Thanksgiving. With that said if I saw something that I though would make an excellent gift, I might buy it, but it would be happenstance.

On a similar note, I was listening to the radio this week and they were talking about a study that said that people who start celebrating Christmas early by putting up decorations, etc are by-in-large happier than other people ... so maybe there is something to it!

bellbird and bonnenuit like this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Wow! Maybe die-hard paper or fabric crafter etc are happy to make their own ornaments & gifts then, there's no way I could do that, a few Xmas in July pages is different to me :shrug

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  18. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Same here, Justine. The first time I walked in there, several years ago, and saw the Christmas stuff out in July I was so turned off!! That's just ridiculous!!

19. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Too soon, I love Halloween too much to rush into Christmas!

20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

gee! :dizzy i think you're right about it being earlier every year too - one of the grocery store chains here announced a few months back that hot cross buns (an Easter staple!) would be available year round now and it started a bit of a debate about how it would make them less 'special' if they weren't just an Easter food; that said, they were starting to be baked and sold from January 1, and then the next year it was like Dec 26 and it was making people groan; i try to hold out buying them til a month before Easter and this just makes the temptation even worse!

KarenB likes this.