on speed dial | Pad Patter 13 Sept

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Sep 13, 2019.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Even without caller ID, when the phone rings about dinner time, no matter whether dinner is early or late, it's a call for 'tech support' from family; DH takes it normally, but if he can't, it's me and now DD has been through it, she's a lot older than this kid but i think we all kind of adopt the same pose.
    [​IMG]
    We also usually answer the phone "Hello, Tech Support" (after checking caller ID)
    So because you digiscrap are you the tech support in your fam? Or who do you call? ... i know someone would want to answer that as 'ghostbusters'.

Happy Friday!

umyesh likes this.
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Ha ha ha! That is so funny! I do all the tech support for my MIL that is in any way related to digi scrapping, but my hubby does the rest and I'm happy to let him. Ha ha! My parents are pretty tech savvy, so we don't have to help them much, but they are getting older and a little more forgetful, so sometimes it's just a matter of reminding my Mom where she can find stuff on her iPhone. I shudder to think what's going to change for my generation that's going to have me calling my kids for tech support.

bellbird likes this.
  3. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

My husband is tech support, but because he's so busy my family calls me and I try to figure it out or relay the message to him after I've failed.

bellbird likes this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Hilarious! I am not tech support for anyone. When Dad was still alive, he lived too far away for me to be any help at all. And these days, the family that could possibly need help, I clueless. They all own Apple products. Computers and phones. I'm a PC and Android gal so that gets me out of it.

bellbird likes this.
  5. Coreen

Coreen Active Member

omg, hilarious! and spot on! i actually work for a company who has their own software system for orthodontists offices and we provide support (software and hardware issues). i do accounting. but my own mother thinks i must know everything about computers, smart phones, etc. and i admit...i'm pretty good at figuring things out, but not always. but yes...this made me laugh this morning, so thank you!!

bellbird likes this.
  6. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

To a lot of the people I know I'm the very tech savvy person, but that's just with the things I know and use a lot. My husband is the true Tech Support person in our house. He's got a small side business doing computer consulting.

bellbird likes this.
  7. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I think that's a great "greeting" for those numbers that look like a marketing call or a scam!

honeyandcheese and bellbird like this.
  8. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I take 90% of the photos at all family gatherings & events + all the photos of my own kids' things (of course) so every 3-4 months, I whittle it down to the best ones & then upload them to my mother's CVS or Walgreen's photos account. She pays for them when she picks them up at the store and uses them in her paper scrapbooks. She also makes calendars for the great-grandparents for Christmas so I do "special order" prints for those around this time of year when she realizes she needs a certain kind of photo for one of the months.

bellbird likes this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm definitely the tech support around here. My DH didn't even want a smart phone - but I told him he had no choice. I drug him into the texting world kicking and screaming. LOL Now, he's slow, but he can text with the best of them. He's starting to try to figure things out on his own now, which is sometimes a disaster. I have to go in and figure out what he did and undo it. He does it on his computer, too. My family (even my Grands) laugh about "Grandma (me) knowing more than most people know about tech stuff. Both my dd's still ask me how to do stuff.

bellbird likes this.
  10. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

That just cracks me up LOL. We all have a bit of knowledge so we all share ideas and suggestions. My hubs has no fear about clicking away and trying things (which scares me) but learns a lot by doing that. I watch a lot of videos and Google things so learn little bits here and there. My daughter started working in the Tech Dept at Staples so she is learning lots from the head guys there. A few yrs ago I was always being called to help her out with tech stuff but now its starting to flip the other way. If she doesn't know the answer, she asks her bosses. It's great having that support. Also, it doesn't hurt to get a discount on products and support too!

bellbird likes this.
  11. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

I'm usually the tech support in my immediate family... as long as it isn't too involved. If it's really bad, we call my BIL!!

bellbird likes this.
  12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have to say that we don't really get those kinds of calls anymore, but we definitely used to! My mom-in-law doesn't really even use her computer anymore - just her phone - and she ends up asking my sis-in-law or her grandson-in-law for help. My mom used to ask things, but she's gotten much braver at trying to figure things out on her own.

bellbird likes this.
  13. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

My kids are our tech support and they often get frustrated until I remind them I breastfed them for XX number of years, potty trained them and taught them to drive. That should totally count for something.

bellbird likes this.
  14. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I am most definitely tech support for everyone, always have been. Even in the days when "tech" was less "techy". Every time my dad would get some new gadget, he would immediately had it off to me to figure out and then teach him.

bellbird likes this.
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm just waking up & scrolling through all these but this is just gold! Your DH made me laugh too! Way to go Grandma!

16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Bwahaha I'll have to remember this negotiating tactic in the future!

17. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

My mom and dad use iPhones and I'm Android, baby! lol So those problems are dealt with by my brother. Funny enough, sometimes he'll text me if it's an issue he thinks I'll know about because of my iPod or our iPads. (or he'll text and say "OMG, I see why you don't help them." :giggle) He lives close to them, so they go to him simply cuz he's probably there when the tech issue happens lol.

bellbird likes this.
  18. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

DH and I are each others tech support and fortunately all of our adult children (except his daughter...) are totally tech savvy. I usually have to google issues with any software related to scrapping as dh has no clue. I also have to help him get photos from his phone to somewhere else or organize a group etc. He is not a detail person. I do wish one of the tv savy children or grands lived nearby. I don't know a lot about our (mine really) tv but I know WAY more than himself.

He does handle all the Internet connections issues (and does a lot of swearing with the IP of the year) but we both were stymied on getting one of my email accounts to open on my iPhone. Getting my various iPhones over the year to recognize that email password has been a total roadblock.

bellbird likes this.
  19. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Our son is the family tech support. We can figure most everything on our own, but when we can't, we call him. He is a pretty main tech support person for his grandparents, especially my husband's parents. They don't call him, but whenever he visits, they usually have a list of questions/tasks they've been saving for him.

We do call him for spec recommendations when buying a new computer. He has a job in his college's Computer Showcase, so he talks this stuff every day at work.

bellbird likes this.