PSE, Bridge, Lightroom, Lightroom CC, Photoshop - HELP

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Coreen, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Coreen

Coreen Active Member

Okay, I posted a question earlier today about how to use an external harddrive. The more research I do on different programs and such, the more confused I get.

-PSE allows you to organize your photos and supplies. You also use this program to edit photos and create layouts. Correct?
    -Bridge is something people use to organize their supplies? From what I've read, most don't use it to organize photos though, right?
    -Lightroom can be used to organize photos. Supplies too, I'm guessing. I think it can also be used for editing photos.
    -Photoshop is used for editing photos and also for creating layouts.

Am I correct so far?

I guess my questions so far are:
    1. Why would a person use Bridge if either PSE or Lightroom can organize both photos and supplies?
    2. Can I organize photos and/or supplies in Lightroom or Bridge and then create layouts in PSE, or do I have to use full Photoshop?
    3. What is the difference between Lightroom/Photoshop and Lightroom/Photoshop CC?
    4. What programs, if any, will allow you to somewhat easily convert from another?

I consider myself a fast learner, but I don't want to waste time with one program and then find out I should probably be using a different one. What I want to be able to do is:
    1. Easily import and organize my photos. Face recognition is important to me because I take hundreds of baseball pictures each season and share specific player photos with families.
    2. I like the idea of tagging photos so I can easily find a set of photos that I want to share or scrapbook.
    3. Easily share select photos via email, Facebook, etc.
    4. Edit photos
    5. Learn how to create layouts

I'm just looking for opinions on what I should use or start out with. I'm willing to invest time to learn and get it right from the beginning. Also, if anyone wants to clue me into how they have their laptop/desktop, external drives, backups, etc. set up...that would be great.

I know that's a lot of questions. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to dive into their with me!

Coreen

2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

-PSE allows you to organize your photos and supplies. You also use this program to edit photos and create layouts. Correct? CORRECT
    -Bridge is something people use to organize their supplies? From what I've read, most don't use it to organize photos though, right? You can use it to organize photos AND supplies.
    -Lightroom can be used to organize photos. Supplies too, I'm guessing. I think it can also be used for editing photos. It can be used for organizing photos AND supplies. I use it for photos only.
    -Photoshop is used for editing photos and also for creating layouts. CORRECT

Am I correct so far?

I guess my questions so far are:
    1. Why would a person use Bridge if either PSE or Lightroom can organize both photos and supplies? Preference. I can't remember who here uses Lightroom for both photo and supply organization. I just choose to use LR for photo editing and keywording, and then use Bridge for supply keywording and organization.
    2. Can I organize photos and/or supplies in Lightroom or Bridge and then create layouts in PSE, or do I have to use full Photoshop? Yes, you can. I used PSE along with an older version of Lightroom for a long time.
    3. What is the difference between Lightroom/Photoshop and Lightroom/Photoshop CC? CC is geared for those photographers/users who need mobility . . . so syncing across multiple devices and accessibility to original images - and their edits as well. Since I always scrap at home and use a desktop, I chose to stay with the Classic version as I have no need to use Cloud storage. I have an EHD and I have a backup service already that I know and trust.
    4. What programs, if any, will allow you to somewhat easily convert from another? I'm guessing you want to convert from PSE to Lightroom or Bridge? Honestly, if you like your PSE Organizer, I don't see why you can't still use it to view your supplies or photos and use PSCC for building your layouts.

I consider myself a fast learner, but I don't want to waste time with one program and then find out I should probably be using a different one. What I want to be able to do is:
    1. Easily import and organize my photos. Face recognition is important to me because I take hundreds of baseball pictures each season and share specific player photos with families. Lightroom is perfect for facial recognition.
    2. I like the idea of tagging photos so I can easily find a set of photos that I want to share or scrapbook. Again, Lightroom is your friend.
    3. Easily share select photos via email, Facebook, etc. You can share via Lightroom
    4. Edit photos Again, Lightroom is a great photo editor.
    5. Learn how to create layouts You'll need PSE or PSCC in order to create layouts.

GodBlessAmerica and bestcee like this.
  3. gonewiththewind

Also, if anyone wants to clue me into how they have their laptop/desktop, external drives, backups, etc. set up...that would be great.

My current setup is a desktop. I have two monitors. I use PSCC, Bridge, and Lightroom Classic. I usually have PSCC open on my left monitor, and on my right I'll have my supplies open in Bridge. Lightroom Classic is usually running behind PSCC or I will edit my photos and then close out when I'm done.

I have two external drives. One houses my layouts (I keep my PSD layered files) and the other one houses my photos and my supplies. I use Backblaze to backup my EHDs and internal drive.

Hope this helps you!

GodBlessAmerica likes this.
  4. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Looks like Cheryl got you answered on most of the other questions- but I'll chime in with my set up! :)

I also have a desktop (have been hoping for a laptop for the last couple years, but that budget always ends up going to something more important!) I have two monitors. I use PSCC & Lightroom Classic AND Lightroom mobile. I RARELY edit/organize photos in Lightroom- I use the app primarily to sync photos directly from my phone to my EHD. I have 1 EHD, as well as a cloud backup to Backblaze. I don't' use any sort of program to organize my supplies, other than my windows folders & my organization setup I've created. It works for me & I don't have time to try something different at this point in the game! ;)

5. Coreen

Coreen Active Member

thanks to both of you for sharing your thoughts! i have downloaded a free 7-day trial of lightroom. i imported a test set of photos to see how it works. i'm not sure the appeal, but i'm sure it's because i'm new to using it. i finally found a way to tag people, but honestly....the little circle with the person's face is so tiny that i can hardly see it and have no way of feeling like i could add a name accurately. maybe i need to do more looking and learning and there will be an easier way, but at this point...it seems to me that pse is way easier. unfortunately, i'd love to have the capabilities of everything in the cloud, but i'm guessing that's not an option with pse. i will continue to pick the brains of everyone here and also look at tutorials online so that i can make a decision. thanks again!

marijke and amien1 like this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

It sure can be overwhelming with all of the options at first, huh? Cheryl provided you with lots of great information.

I am less of a power user than a lot of people. I don't use Lightroom or Bridge although I do own Lightroom. I just never took the time to learn it well enough to feel comfortable with it, so... because I'm slow at it, I just don't use it. Sad but true. :giggle

I also don't use any of those programs to sort or tag my photos or supplies. I rely I my own organization methods which is simple and doesn't take me long to do. I have a folder for the year and inside the fold I have a folder for each month. If there was an event or special day, that gets it's own folder in the correct month. All the misc. picture just go in the proper month. I don't have any face recognition on my computer, but my phone does it for me and so does Google Photos which I use as a back up for my pictures.

To scrap (that's the important part for me! :agree ) I use an OLD version of Photoshop CS5. I personally can't stand the idea of having to pay for my software each month, so I'm clinging to the version I bought when my current 10th grader was in kindergarten. :giggle It still works and does everything I need or want it to do. PSE is like a lighter version of Photoshop, but does what most people need to scrap with. In order to choose between the two programs now, you just need to decide if you want to own your software (you can purchase PSE) or rent your software (Photoshop is only available to rent these days $10-$20ish per month depending on your bundle).

If you come across any other questions or need more clarification as you're deciding... keep asking questions! There are so many knowledgeable people here!! :)

7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Personal preference: I don't use the facial recognition. I created keywords of each person's name and I just assign the name. For me, it's faster because typically a group of photos has the same people in the group shots. So I put the people on the paint brush, and paint the group ones. Then I can multi select photos that are the same people and tag that way.
    That's probably because I have a lot of photos and the facial recognition has always been slow to me.

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My setup currently:
    I use Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC on my desktop computer.
    I use a desktop with two monitors primarily. I have all my photos and supplies on this. I also have supplies and photos backed up on an external hard drive, and just photos on one more ehd ( I'm a little paranoid). I also have the entire desktop backed up online through Backblaze.

I also have a laptop, which I use the ehd with for my photos. It has pscc on it, but also Photoshop elements 14. I usually use elements unless I'm changing shadows. This is because my laptop is older and slower.

9. Coreen

Coreen Active Member

thank you all for jumping in and trying to help me figure this all out! i do love the idea of everything in the cloud (with my appropriate backups as well...you never know), which is one of the reasons i've thought about using lightroom cc and photoshop cc. i also find that pse 2018 is TERRIBLY slow, so that annoys me. maybe a few more questions will help get me to a decision:

1. I'm still stuck on how to tag people if facial detection doesn't recognize a person.
    2. Does anyone have experience with upgrading to pse 2019? Does it work faster as they claim?
    3. I was planning to go through some lightroom tutorials, but I'm confused off the bat...my dashboard, home screen, whatever it's called...it doesn't look like what I've seen in some tutorials. I've attached a copy of what mine looks like.

i guess i will eventually get there. getting started with digital scrapbooking is way more overwhelming to me than it was to start traditional scrapbooking. lol

Attached Files:

10. bbachand

bbachand Well-Known Member

I'll start off by saying that I am tech challenged but I wanted to chime in to mention Google Photos for facial recognition. It has been a game changer for me because I don't have to tag photos and I can search for people, places, events or a specific time of year. I'm sure there are other folks here who can do a better job of speaking to the specifics to how Google Photos works and how it would apply to your workflow so I'm sorry I can't really help with that. You might want to check out a free class through www.modernphotosolutions.com called Photo Fabulous that talks about Google Photos. It was very helpful as a place to start.

11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Great thread because I have all of the above and only use PSCC and still use my old faithful PSE - I'm using 2018 and probably won't upgrade to 2019 for awhile. I also love Google face recognition and Flickr does it as well. Every time I try to use LR, I end up just getting frustrated - I had my photo editing and organization well in control before LR came with the PSCC "package". I've never used Bridge and a couple of others, either, (that came with the package).

I now have 2 external hard drives attached to my laptop. I'm putting more and more of my scrapping supplies on those and trying to keep my laptop more cleaned up. I have a lot of memory on my laptop, but I don't want it to get too full.

@Coreen you definitely came to the right place to find answers! This board is a wealth of information and they willingly share that knowledge!! Welcome and hope you stick around.

cfile likes this.
  12. gonewiththewind

1. I'm still stuck on how to tag people if facial detection doesn't recognize a person. I recommend you check out my Lightroom course that I've shared below.
    2. Does anyone have experience with upgrading to pse 2019? Does it work faster as they claim? I don't have any experience with 2019, so I'll leave that to someone else to pop in and share.
    3. I was planning to go through some lightroom tutorials, but I'm confused off the bat...my dashboard, home screen, whatever it's called...it doesn't look like what I've seen in some tutorials. I've attached a copy of what mine looks like. It looks like you've downloaded the trial version of Lightroom CC which is different from Lightroom Classic. I think that's why yours looks different to start with. I taught a course on Lightroom and in the course I was using Lightroom CC in 2016 - before they separated into Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic. The first video, I think, will be of particular help to you in touring the workspace and setting it up. Here's the link to the post with all the videos: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/lightroom-from-workflow-to-wow-videos.44963/

13. Coreen

Coreen Active Member

@gonewiththewind yes!!!! that's the piece of the puzzle i was missing. i am so confused between lightroom classic and lightroom cc. cc must be the one that is in the cloud, right? and classic is just the standalone version? i quickly downloaded the lightroom classic trial and the face recognition is so easy! i like how it works much better than pse. you have made my day! i cannot wait to have some free time later this evening to go through your video tutorials and start learning!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  14. Coreen

Coreen Active Member

@bbachand i would definitely use google photos if it weren't for needing to manually tag faces. i have so many baseball photos where the face isn't recognized because of a hat or batting helmet. as of now, i have found no way for google photos to handle that. thanks for the suggestion though!!

15. gonewiththewind

Yes! CC is the cloud and Lightroom Classic is stand alone! Woo-Hoo! Glad you got it to start working for you. Don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions. I don't know everything, but I'll certainly try to help!

16. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I have been using Lightroom for organizing and editing my photos since 2011, the year after I bought my DSLR and got serious about photography. For the last two years my DSLR enthusiasm has severely decreased but until just this summer I continued to believe I would even use Lightroom if I were only using my phone camera. I'm in a transition time. LR is a fabulous program. I'm just growing impatient with it a lot nowadays, which probably has more to do with having an old 2011 computer rather than Lightroom itself.

I've never used Bridge, so I can't comment on that. I remember when I switched from organizing in PSE to organizing in Lightroom I was so relieved because Lightroom worked so much better. Remember that was in 2011 though, so PSE Organizer could have improved over the last 8 years for all I know.

I switched to full Photoshop in 2016, but not for Photoshop. I switched in response to rumors that Lightroom would be moving cloud-only too. I do enjoy some of the additional features in full Photoshop now, but I never thought PSE was limited as far as scrapping. I might switch back someday. I keep it now, despite looking for ways to cut costs, because my husband also uses Photoshop.

As for my setup, I'm still using my old 2011 iMac with a 5Tb Western Digital EHD attached, which holds all of my photos and digital scrapbooking stash. It holds nearly all of my data, in fact. I don't save stuff on my internal drive in hopes it helps my machine run faster and smoother. I back up automatically with Netflix and manually with Smugmug.

17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

It is overwhelming but just take it one thing at a time, read tutorials, watch videos...soon it will become more comfortable. You don't need lightroom at all to scrap with. But you need a program to create your pages on. Photoshop elements is a smaller version of photoshop and it takes up less resources on your computer (if ram, space, etc is an issue for you). There are tutorials and info for both so there is a lot of help for learing how to use them. Bridge is useful for viewing your digi products and you can drag them onto your LO easily, but it is not necessary. You can open folders on your computer and choose your digi products from there, so if you are overwhelmed, maybe start with learning PSE or PS first and then branch out to LR or bridge.

I use PS CC and Lightroom Classic. I have 2 monitors with my PC at home and have a laptop for when I am away from home. I keep my digi products on an EHD and have a second copy on another EHD for a backup and can take that with me when away from home. I've just started storing my digi product zip files on dropbox since I had a pro acct anyway and it makes sense to use what I already have. Otherwise, a backup program like Backblaze makes sense too. I had always had 2 copies of my products and thought that was safe b/c the chances of both drives failing at the same time and losing my stuff was unlikely to happen. But recently I upgraded my PC, got windows 10 and it encrypted and damaged many files on both drives so I ended up losing products. That's why I backup the zip files in dropbox, to ensure that doesn't happen again.

Good luck and hope you are soon having fun scrapping as you decide what to use and become comfortable with it.

Karen likes this.
  18. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Ditto.

Also ditto. :)

It's all so overwhelming at first. Perhaps focusing on learning your scrapping program will help you decide how best to edit your photos? I love PS but I just can't stand LR. *shrug* It's all so personal. You'll find what works for you, and as you've seen here already, there are always people who can help!

Karen and cfile like this.
  19. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Agree with @Karen and @Tree City. I also do not use any of the programs since I don't use PS or PSE to scrap. I also don't tag my files. I've been scrapping so long without doing it that I'm sure it would slow me down to actually have stuff tagged!

I also have all my photos downloaded from my camera by date. The hierarchy is a yearly folder with a sub-folder for each month. Each day has a sub-folder within its month. I do not separate events on these downloaded photos. However, I do make folders for each event for photos I have scanned. I have a main folder called Images and each event is labeled by year/event so they sort oldest to newest. If photos are shared with me for any events, depending on how many I get, they get a sub-folder of their own. If it is just a few, I stick them in my year/month/day folder. Same with my camera photos... they get put into the year/month/day folder.

If it were me, I would not spend a lot of time tagging everything but just do a few things in the program you want to test. Work with it awhile and if it meets your needs, move forward with the organization.

I am a lover of Picasa but am trying to find a replacement since it has some issues that will never be corrected since it was discontinued. So I download a trial of something I see recommended, try it for awhile and see if it does what I want. So far nothing has but I keep looking!

Tree City likes this.
  20. Lisa B

Lisa B What am I supposed to do with all this chalk?

Cheryl, is this the version you use, and does it include Bridge? It looks like it does since when I search for Bridge it brings me back to the list of programs... and, Happy Mother's Day!
    PS & Lightroom Classic.jpg

gonewiththewind likes this.