Application envy?? what's on your Dock?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by cookingmylife, Sep 8, 2019.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Every once in a while, like when a designer is doing a video, I look at the screen (mostly on Macs) to see what's on her dock. I see application icons for programs I can't identify and I get an attack of FOMO. What is that application and...maybe I need it!! I have to laugh at myself but still wonder what some of the programs are... My dh is of no use cause he doesn't even know what any of the CC icons are and probably not any of the Font books.

How about you? do you get application envy too? or am I only Ms Curious/Greedy? :giggle

jesskab likes this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

LOL no i can't say i really notice that and i'm not a Mac girl but if your curious, i don't think you'd envy me! i have to have PS, Chrome, the Snipping Tool (for screen grabs), Spotify, File Explorer, WinRAR (for unzipping) & the calculator (b/c i use it that often!) all pinned to the bottom dock bar. And i have Silhouette's studio app thing pinned from ages ago when i started looking at cut-files after seeing Isa and Mary's pages using them but I've really only used SWL's cutfiles since then and the handy thing is i don't have to open Silhouette Studio and try to convert them to use in PS! Also i think the fitbit app thing pinned itself there b/c i don't remember doing it and use it on my phone instead); i'm on an Acer and it has this Acer quick access icon pinned but i've only ever used it 'accidentally' when i've clicked it unintinentionally - i don't change my display set up or networking to even warrant it being there but it came on the laptop and i don't like messing around with the default stuff too much -not brave enough!

cfile likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I don't look at others either... never notice them when I see someone's setup.

Mine is simple.

Windows Start Menu
    File Explorer
    RootsMagic (genealogy program)
    Word Perfect X7
    Excel
    Picasa
    Paint Shop Pro X7
    Paint Shop Pro X8
    Chrome

I do have shortcut icons for other programs on my desktop so they are easy to get to if needed.

4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I notice, but can't say I need anything :) I have too many things to keep me busy with PS CC and a few Akvis plugins..

5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

love that snipping tool too :)

bellbird likes this.
  6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I never looked... but now I know I'll peek next time. Mine is very simple.

jesskab likes this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I notice them too, Maureen. They're almost always on Macs, and I don't have a Mac. My granddaughter makes the most amazing videos and of course, the program she uses is only for Mac computers. LOL

8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I notice them, too. I'm such a technology geek, I need to know everything that's out there and if I can have it :giggle

9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I'm a PC gal, but I do love finding new apps/programs that help me do things quicker and easier!

10. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I love my Libby app. I have it installed at home & work. It's my local library's ebook app basically. Other than that, I really just use PSE & my browser.

11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I’ve been similarly curious a few times over the years.

My dock is very long, on the left, and set to hide unless I’m pointing at it. From top to bottom, I have Finder, Siri (which I never use on my desktop), Safari, Mail, Contacts, Calendar, TextEdit, Notepad, Reminders, Maps (another I never use), Messages, iTunes, App Store, System Preferences, Skype, iMovie, Chrome, Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere Elements, OpenOffice (my word processor of choice), iExplorer2 (to transfer messages from my phone to my computer to save for sentimental reasons), Calculator, BookWright (to make Blurb books about once a year), Evernote, Image Capture (for when Lightroom is being difficult or I just want one photo off my phone quickly), Discord (because my homeschool co-op uses it for communication), Dashlane (because I forgot to delete it after the trial ended; I’m still indecisive about which password app to use), and Day One (my journaling app).

I may do some weeding in my dock!

12. cookingmylife

@michelepixels My Dock is on the left too! but I don't hide it. Love it over there for some reason.

I have Finder(which would get worn out if it were 'real), Calendar, TextEdit(mostly for storing layout credits and seeing which bit of journaling I've misspelled this time), Contacts, Dictionary, Calculator, Mail, Safari, PSE, Notes, Image2Icon, Word, Maps, Photos, FontBook, TrashIt!, App Store, TimeMachine, System Preferences, Preview. Others that come and go only if I'm using them are Excel, Lightroom (which would stay except I switch catalogs a lot) and YouTubetoMP3. I only have the full Office Suite cause dh needs it and he got it as a family plan.

Here are ones I can't identify and of course then are tempting! That font one with the S is intriguing! btw, my Dropbox, CC suite, Backblaze& Malwearbytes are up on the top bar not in my Dock. Fz...???Fuzzy???
    Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 8.11.26 AM.png

13. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Isn't the blue one Dropbox? Looks like their icon.

The scanner is probably some scanner software. The one next to it could be some kind of program to zip/unzip files.

A google on fz icon came up with FileZilla software. Is that a possibility?

14. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I don't watch a lot of videos, but when I do, I definitely notice the different ways people have their desktop set up and how they organize their files, etc. I'm on a Mac, so most of the apps in my dock would be very recognizable to other Mac users.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@cookingmylife

The first icon "Fz" is Filezilla. It's an FTP (file transfer protocol). I use it to transfer my files from my computer to the store's server so I can attach my zips to my product. Likely something you'd never use.

The S is Scrivener and is made for typing manuscripts.

The blue one with the box is for DropBox and that's for file sharing.

I don't recognize the others.

16. cookingmylife

Thanks @gonewiththewind I do have Dropbox but rarely use it except to get things that were FOR me from someone. Glad I don't need the others!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  17. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I see the docks on videos and I am so glad that is not my computer, so much stuff.... I dont understand why. My dock has ; windows start , the snipping tool ( Like Christa and bellbird I find it so useful ) Skype , a icon where open documents go, Microsoft Word and Edge. I also have a Dropbox icon at the other end and now, but not by choice I have the One Drive icon . I do not use One drive, but since the last update I can not get rid of the Icon.
    My go to programs are on the Desktop , PSE, CraftArtist, Artrage, my Printer, Crome,Draw plus, and the Affinity suite ( but that is going soon since I never use them) and the link to my graphics card. Everything else is only on the start menu I hate messy looking and full task bars and Desktops. But I love the apps , just dont want to look at them , until I need them.

18. cookingmylife

@Nemla I hate a messy desktop and keep myself to 2 columns of folders on my desktop. I do change my whole desktop look a lot - at least once a week - and often with bits of word art - that I call Posters with Words. Background color gets changed too.

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 12.27.12 PM.png

Nemla likes this.
  19. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I only leave something on my desktop if I'm currently needing it. The one item you can see on my desktop in this image, in the upper right corner, is a screenshot of a text conversation to remind me I need to ask my son something soon. (A digital post-it note, you could say.) Now, as I type this, the screenshot of the image below is on my desktop too, but I will be deleting it after I post. I started being diligent about keeping a clear desktop after reading that cluttered desktops can slow down a computer. I assure you my real desk is NOT so tidy. :giggle

As for my wallpaper, it's set to rotate through all the beautiful images Apple provides for wallpaper every hour or so. From about 2015 to 2018 I had the same wallpaper, this beautiful fan art drawing of Castiel from Supernatural. When I finally decided I was ready for something else, I was indecisive. I decided to set the computer to rotate through the Apple wallpapers and thought that would help me decide. Nope! I've been enjoying the variety so much I've just kept it this way for all these months.

Also you can see I really weeded out my dock like I said I would yesterday! :D (See post 11 above.)

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 2.56.49 PM.png

20. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Ohhh I love you ladies with clean desktops! A cluttered up desktop drives me insane. I used to have a coworker who would ask me to help her with computer things, but her desktop was so cluttered up with stuff that I would get twitchy just looking at it, much less trying to find anything.
    This is both monitors...laptop on the left and 2nd monitor on the right. I keep the recycle bin there and one folder of stuff I'm currently working on.

Capture.JPG