Question re templates - do you save all versions the template comes in?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by cfile, Sep 7, 2019.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I only save the PSD files. I thought I might like to save some of the png files but usually once I got to use a template I only save a png of something I think I might use on its own. A lot of non-TLP designers have interesting /unique .png items in their folders and I now have a folder of store xyz Misc for those items.

btw I'm thinking that when I open a TIFF file on my Mac, it seemed to give me some other options that my PSDs didn't meaning it took me longer to open a file...and yeah, just a few seconds, but it was more decisions I didn't want to make. Anyone know what I mean by questions? I don't think I have any TIFF files around.

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I have started and have already gotten back a lot of GB’s so I am going to continue through my TLP goodies deleting template files keeping the tiff ones plus deleting tos as I use for personal only.. it will be long as soon I am going designer by designer but I have already saved 60 gbs!!

Tree City likes this.
  3. cfile

I think you have to use the bridge in adobe to see them as well as psds

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

yay for saving space! I think Courtney mentioned it, but I only keep one TOU for each designer. I have a TOU folder. Easy peasy. Like you, I'm strictly PU, but it's still nice to have a copy.

bestcee and cfile like this.
  5. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

For us PC scrappers, I think the tiff file is the best choice, pure and simply for the thumbnails!! I trash all the rest.

6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Well, since I'm a template designer, I keep all of my own files types.

For the few times that I use another designer's template, I only keep the PSD. It does save a lot of space to delete the file types that aren't of use to you!

Have fun cleaning out!

cfile likes this.
  7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Since I use Picasa to look at my files, I don't worry about being able to see the psd file in windows explorer. But, I do keep the individual jpg for each template file as well as the kit preview so that if I do look at them in explorer, I can see what I have.

cfile likes this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Um, I remember it asked about compression or something? It's been a long time since I opened tiffs!

I can see psds in ACDSee too.
    But, I just save the jpeg. If there's not a jpeg preview, I create one. It's rare there isn't a preview included.

cfile likes this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I downloaded a tiny program that shows the brush previews. Maybe you did that too?

A-M likes this.
  10. cfile

I agree.. I am just glad I am freeing up space and the upside to this exercise is going through and revisiting kits and packs etc that I forgot about :) Looking forward to playing and scrapping with some stash items too!

bestcee likes this.
  11. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I have to use the png files. As I import them into my software for use I safe a copy of the imported version before using the template. My software is no-longer supported so as I might loose use of it at some point I still keep those png files.

I do however pick up the psd files for templates I think I might use a lot of, or are particularly different/unique , then if I ever do go the Photoshop route in the future I'll have them. The other formats I either delete or don't download.

Obviously I keep the jpg files as previews and I keep the most recent version of each designer's TOU.

bestcee and cfile like this.
  12. cfile

Thanks Angela :)

Angela Toucan likes this.
  13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I only save the .PSD files for the most part. Sometimes I'll keep the .tiffs too just for the preview, unless there's already a .JPG for preview. And sometimes even if there isn't a .JPG, I'll just open the .PSD files and make my own .JPG. Lol.

cfile likes this.
  14. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Same. Exactly.

15. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

My windows allow a preview of PSD's. Maybe that was something I did... it seems that many can't see previews of PSD's? I had an issue with TIFF's before, so PSD was from then on.

A-M likes this.
  16. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

Great thread. Learned some things!

17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I only save the PSD files. If I have a choice when downloading, I only download those as well. I figure every little bit of space I can clear up is a good thing and I'll never use any of the other files.

cfile likes this.
  18. cfile

I got tired of going through and deleting after doing that for two days.. I did free up space and have to do a lot more but will over time and like you said, I will now only download one file format :) Hugs!

19. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Well, I'm sure you made a dent, Christa. Yes, from now on, just download the PSD's if you have that option. There are rare occasions that I'm not in the mood to do any scrapping and I just sit and delete files. LOL

cfile likes this.
  20. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I'm another one that only downloads and keeps the PSD files. Very occasionally, I will download the png files, if its a very multilayered, torn type of template (just because I'm lazy).
    I use ACDSee so I can see the preview of the PSD file.

cfile likes this.