Question re templates - do you save all versions the template comes in?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by cfile, Sep 7, 2019.

1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Since I really do not want to buy another EHD, I was curious... Do you save when you download templates - all versions of it (ie: png, psd, tiff and/or page) or do you just save the tiff files? I am trying to make room on my EHD and I do not want to get rid of all my psd files of my scrap pages, so I was wondering re the file version everyone saves .. Thanks in advance

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I just save psd files though possibly tiff files would be seen in Windows Explorer so it might be worth me changing the ones I have

cfile likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I only save the psd files. Tiff and page won't work in my software and I don't like working with pngs.

Also, when a designer has the downloads broken up by file type, I only download the psd file zip.

bellbird, cfile and bestcee like this.
  4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I save just the .tiff files for both my templates and pages I make. Now that said, I used to be an Artisan scrapper and I saved only the .page files. Then I moved to PSE and had to start my collection all over again. So unless you think you are moving to another format, I would just keep the .tiff.

I like the .tiff because I can preview the templates without opening them. I used to keep the .psd files but then I would also keep the jpg previews -- that resulted in too many files and too much to keep track of. I also delete all the extra stuff the designer includes in the folders. Besides a compressed .tiff is smaller than the .psd version.

cfile likes this.
  5. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I only download/keep the tiff.
    There's no way I'll ever use page files (I'd rather quit scrapping, if I can't have PS), and building a template with png's seems to me so time consuming that it's not worth using a template at all (a sketch or a scraplift are quicker!).
    And regarding tiff's, I had read somewhere about "saving them correctly": they are way smaller in size and work fine. (I've downloaded templates that are 50 MB, and when I save them, they are 10 MB!)

bellbird and cfile like this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I only save the TIFFs. I like that they are (usually) smaller than the PSDs and I can see previews (like @littlekiwi mentioned, I first switched from saving PSD to TIFF files because of that, then I realized how nice it was to have smaller file sizes).

But, and this isn't exactly related to your original question my dear Christa so please forgive me...may I ask if you have more than one EHD and/or if you back up to the Cloud? It always makes me nervous when I read that someone has one EHD. But call me "Ms Overkill" because I have 4 current EHDs and 2 extra "backups" at my parents' home as well as BackBlaze. (But I don't keep everything on my laptop, which makes saving on multiple OTHER devices important to me.)

cfile likes this.
  7. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

Another who saves TIFFS only here. When I changed to TIFF, I found that I had many PSD template files previously downloaded with no corresponding TIFF file. I created a script in photoshop to change all psd files in a folder to TIFF files. I ran this for my template folders and now have all TIFFS.

cfile likes this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This!

I can pull a png off a template if I want it. No need to save them individually.

I don't save tiffs because I'm currently locked into Adobe. I know that. They know that. I may move back to elements in the future, but it's unlikely I'll go to another program type. So, because psd is the native file, I save those. Plus, then I don't have to worry about the tiff file being saved the right way and small enough.

I also delete any links, and thank yous, and I only keep 1 TOU per designer (2 if I have PU and CU from them).

cfile likes this.
  9. cfile

I had two others in the drawer which has a lot of stuff on it but I really need to get rid of stuff . I went through and got rid of a lot of stuff that were old freebies and old stuff not TLP and it barely put a dent in so that was why I was asking Re templates. I know you are scared for me Sara.. hugs

Tree City likes this.
  10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I used to keep both the PSD and TIFF, but now I typically only save the TIFF.

cfile likes this.
  11. cfile

Thanks everyone!! I will be having a delete party!! Lol

bestcee, bellbird and Tree City like this.
  12. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I need to join you in your delete party! I always start and then don't finish and have to start all over again haha good luck!

bestcee, bellbird and cfile like this.
  13. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

The first thing I do if it is one download is delete the PSD and PNGs. Like many others, I only keep the TIFF files, since they are smaller and allow a preview in Windows. I also save my layouts as TIFF files and I always keep the TIFF along with a JPG of print resolution for easy album creation when there are sales at Shutterfly.

cfile likes this.
  14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

ditto all the above :highfive

i will also take this opportunity to extend my gratitude to all the template designers taking the time to make their templates available in sooo many formats and also separating them for us so i only have to DL the tiff's from the shop (and saving me the effort of unzipping and deleting PNGs and all that i don't want taking up space). Many, many thanks!!!

cfile likes this.
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

This! Makes such a difference to me!

cfile likes this.
  16. cfile

I absolutely agree.. .I too when I make templates will make them in alll formats (except page as I don't have that software), but thank the designers for the different formats. I also discard the mac formats since I don't need them. I will be doing the delete on the template to lessen my load. This is going to be long LOL :)

Tree City likes this.
  17. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I was going to only save TIFs until I started using the templates in TIF and found my CS6 played up with them. So now I just keep PSDs and on my Windows7 I can see the preview of the PSD. I cannot remember what I did to be able to also see previews of brush ABR files.

cfile likes this.
  18. frani_54

frani_54 Well-Known Member

I only download and save the psd's

19. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

TIFF saver here too. That's all I need.

20. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

I save the psd files ...

cfile likes this.