IRL Meet-Up!!!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by mcurtt, Sep 3, 2019.

1. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Some of the best friends I have, I met through another scrapping forum a long time ago. At one time that forum was responsible for many different weekend retreats. I attended retreats in Ohio, Michigan, Ontario Canada, Virginia and Alabama and met some really terrific women because of it. @bonnenuit and I spent time together at several Michigan retreats back in the day. Two of the girls (one was a travel agent) even took it upon themselves to plan a cruise. We had over 40 people in our group with about 20-25 being forum members. No scrapping done on the cruise but lots of photos taken to scrap!

2 of the girls that I am closest to drove over an hour to come to the funeral visitation for my father in 2016. I cried when I saw them. They have busy lives but them taking the time out of their schedules for a few minutes with me was so precious.

bestcee, bonnenuit and BevG like this.
  2. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@HavaDrPepper I'm convinced that scrappers are just the best! Were those retreats digital or the old-fashioned cut & paste kind? Either way, that had to be fantastic. Plus a cruise??? Wow!

And it doesn't surprise me about your scrapping friends attending your father's visitation...

bestcee likes this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

That picture is great! I'm so happy that you all got together.

mcurtt likes this.
  4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

How awesome!! You girls look amazing!!
    I met a scrappy friend about 10 years ago when I was visiting San Antonio. It was so fun! I'd love to do it more!

mcurtt likes this.
  5. mcurtt

So you can appreciate the enthusiasm. :-) I had no idea that meeting up would be this fun!

6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I've met up with a bunch of digi scrapping peeps over the years, and it's truly an awesome experience. It adds such a depth to the relationships. Because we really know so much about each other through forums, Facebook, and of course, our layouts. And then adding the IRL stuff, well, it's just so cool!

I love the photo of y'all - you both look amazing!

mcurtt likes this.
  7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

That's wonderful! It sounds like you had a great chatty meet & hope the hubbies weren't too bored by the digiscrapping talk :giggle

mcurtt likes this.
  8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I've met a bunch, and honestly, I wish I could have met/hung out more only since I'm very shy and quiet at first. I don't warm up right away since I'm so so nervous. It was still a wonderful experience and I'll always have those fond memories.

I have been lucky to meet - Cheryl (FDD), Liz (SWL), Sara (TreeCity), Maureen (CookingMyLife), Jan (QuiltyMom) and a bunch more. Some were at Digiscrapaolloza years ago. Many don't scrap or are not active. I just was always too nervous with the first meeting and greeting.

mcurtt likes this.
  9. mcurtt

Exactly what you said!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  10. mcurtt

Actually the hubbies were deep in their own conversation and didn't pay any attention to what we said. There were times we couldn't hear each other because of the competing conversation. LOL.

bellbird likes this.
  11. mcurtt

That is so great that you've met so many! I can understand being nervous, but with a one-on-one, I think it is a much calmer setting. I was nervous/anxious, but in a good way. :-)

BevG likes this.
  12. HavaDrPepper

The first one was in 2007 and everybody was traditional. My last retreat was in 2011 and some were traditional, some were digital. The friends that came to the funeral home would have day crops once in awhile. I would always drive the hour to their houses to spend the day with them. Those sort of stopped when one of the girls was going through a divorce and the other gal was very busy with her 5 kids. The divorced gal no longer scraps either. We did get together twice in 2018. There were 4 of us. The girl that doesn't scrap spent the time knitting. Another girl did app scrapping. Another girl digi scrapped. I did latch hook one time and traditional scrapped the other.

We also did a couple day trips to meet up with other scrapping friends. Once at a new IKEA in Cincinnati and a couple other times at the Longaberger Homestead when it was still going strong. There is actually a nice group of gals all over Ohio that became friends through the Ohio retreat that was held 5 times. Unfortunately, life has sent our lives in many different directions and we don't see each other any more.

mcurtt likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

That's so awesome! I love when scrappers are able to meet in real life!

mcurtt likes this.
  14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

How fun! I have done several meet ups like this and while I get nervous each time about how conversation is going to go, it's always been a great experience because we have already known each other online. It's kinda like picking up right where we leave off online. :agree I'm so glad you guys had a nice time talking and that the hubbies got along too! That's so fun! My hubby would die if I asked him to go along! :giggle

mcurtt likes this.
  15. HavaDrPepper

Several of my online friends (one I've met, one I haven't) met up when the one from the northeast was in South Dakota where the other one lives on vacation with her husband. They all have one thing in common... a love of motorcycles. The 2 couples have since planned vacations together, each coming from their own homes. The husbands have become very good friends as well. And, they aren't the only husbands from that forum that have become friends. All of these husbands felt the same as yours. None of them regret it at all!

mcurtt likes this.
  16. mcurtt

It really was a blast! I'm sure the restaurant was wondering if we'd ever leave. Luckily they got less and less crowded so we weren't taking up prime real estate. :-)

bestcee likes this.
  17. mcurtt

I agree about the conversation, there was never any awkward silences, so much to talk about. And DH doesn't seem to mind tagging along. We don't get out much, LOL, so this give him an excuse to socialize. He says he's shy, but he can carry on a conversation with the best of them.

Karen and bestcee like this.
  18. mcurtt

I know exactly what you mean. I collect thimbles and belong to an international group as well as a Wisconsin group. The husbands are always welcome. In fact, one of the husbands is a serious collector. We might dread the drive (sometimes five hours or more), but we always enjoy ourselves at the meetings. And it gives us an excuse to spend a couple of nights at a hotel. We leave home the day before the meeting, come back home the day after. DH has been known to buy a thimble or two. In fact, some of the women cater to him, giving him free stuff they'd never give me. LOL.

Karen and HavaDrPepper like this.
  19. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

That is so cool!

mcurtt likes this.
  20. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Sooooo awesome!!!!!♥

mcurtt likes this.