Today I learned...Pad Patter 9.4

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Sep 4, 2019.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm always fascinated when I read TIL (Today I learned) posts. There's so many different things to learn! Recently, at the Nevada State Museum I learned that almost 85% of Nevada is owned by the federal government! I also learned recently that Nevada became a state without having the minimum amount of people necessary at the time to become a state!

So, it doesn't have to be today, but what's something you've learned lately?

umyesh likes this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Here's 2 things DD told me she learnt at school today which i in-turn learnt and what they taught me about her:

1. Renaissance means literally re-birth (I assumed she was studying this in her 2D Art class or they discussed it in French, but no, apparently she learnt it from the Welcome to the Renaissance song in the Something's Rotten the musical - it's set in Shakespeare's time and some of her friends are a bit obsessed with it :shrug - i shouldn't be surprised, both kids know more about history than i ever did thanks to the songs in the Horrible Histories tv series)

2. the difference between a World City and a Mega City - apparently a world city influences the global economy and are big political or trade centres but a mega city just has to have more than 10million people in it - what stayed with me from this discussion was that she paid attention in Geography when they were watching a tv show, whereas usually she tells me how many people fell asleep in geography on that day (i think 13 has been the most so far (yes, she tallies)) and she shows me the latest handdrawn tattoo on her arm and tells me i should be glad she spent her time drawing on herself and didn't fall asleep - i think i also learnt that in no parenting book ever would they mention that this is teen parenting reality

ETA: i did also learn a fair bit about teeth and nerves at the dentist today but usually what i learn goes in one ear and out the other these days and it was all overshadowed by relief at not needing planned root canal treatment! That's what i will remember for a long time about today!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

It wasn't today but we were watching the Oklahoma State football game over the weekend. My SIL was here and he played for them. I had never known why they were called the "Sooners". He told us that "sooners" were what they called the people who entered Oklahoma before the assigned start of the Land Rush. I love to learn anything new.

4. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

My daughter is studying to become fluent in sign language and in turn I feel like I am learning new, random signs daily.

I also learned from her yesterday that Ewan McGregor, who plays Obi-Wan Kenobi in three Star Wars movies, is also the voice of Lumiere in the live action Beauty and the Beast.

5. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I learned that my mom's parents and my dad's parents were both married in September. :)

bestcee likes this.
  6. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Oh yay! I'm so happy you didn't need a root canal & will be pain free!

bellbird likes this.
  7. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Today I learned teenage boys are garbage pits! We are a billet family for a local hockey team player (two actually, but one is out of town at the New Jersey Devils camp!) I am going to costco later today & asked him for his list- in addition to fruits/veggies, he's just a big kid! lol! lots of granola bars & cereal & milk! ;)

8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

While waiting at the dentist office today, the Spectrum fun facts showed these 3 items:

Ohio University in Athens, Ohio was the first university chartered in the northwest territory and the state of Ohio.
    Oberlin College was the first college to admit African American students in 1835.
    Ohio State University is in the top 3 of on-campus undergraduate enrollments in the country. University of Central Florida and Texas A&M were the top 2.

9. honeyandcheese

honeyandcheese Digging the island vibe

I've been binge watching Victoria and doing research after nearly every episode, so I've been learning little bits of British history.

10. bestcee

It's always the most interesting places they learn right? Munchkin tells me all the time about things he learned on Curious George.

I've never heard of this! I'll have to check it out.

:byay:cheer:byay:clappy:dancebun

Huh! I never knew that. That's cool! I did learn yesterday what the term "Cracker" meant in Florida - a cowboy.

That's awesome! One of my friends is getting her bachelors degree in interpreting. It's a huge field of options!

Easy to remember, right?

Cherylndesigns and umyesh like this.
  11. bestcee

Bless your heart! My parents did that over the years. It was always an interesting experience. And yes, they eat like mini horses! Anything and everything!

12. bestcee

That's cool! And neat to learn.

Your waiting time was better spent than mine! My doctor office plays HGTV, so I learned that Kansas City is a great place for home renovations. :giggle:groan

I love that you do research after the episodes! Is the history on the episodes close? Or really far off?

13. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Not really. Spectrum news repeats the same thing every 15 minutes so if you are there waiting on someone having something done (like my poor cousin 2 weeks ago... I was in there 2.5 hours), you see the same thing over and over. Luckily my cousin had audible books.

Now in the exam rooms... depends on who is in charge of the remote for the system that day. Today was the local news. In the past it has been Dr Phil, the golf channel or a shopping channel. Two weeks ago the dentist requested a channel change before my procedure. Ended up on CBS and all the game shows that run in the morning. Every TV in each room is on the same channel since the rooms are semi-open for the most part.

bestcee likes this.
  14. honeyandcheese

honeyandcheese Digging the island vibe

They've been surprisingly accurate!

15. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Today I re-learned the term Punnett square. The parents' "Back to school" night for DD's school was tonight, and her science class will have a genetics unit.

A friend of mine has a new podcast, called Sheroes, and I listened to the first ep, where I learned about Sofie Scholl and Irena Sendler. I had heard of both women but didn't know much. If you're interested in WWII history and in making sure women's stories are remembered, listen to the podcast!

bestcee likes this.
  16. bestcee

Oh my gosh! That's painful.
    I swear all the doctors around here leave it on HGTV all the time. And since it's always reno a house, or picky buyers it feels like the same thing, different characters. Ugh!

I'm always up to check out new podcasts!

Tree City likes this.
  17. Cherylndesigns

Yes, people who were born and raised in Florida are "crackers". I tease my GS Asher because he's a Florida Cracker. :lol:lol People from the Keys are called "Conchs".

18. bestcee

See, I learned it was specifically the cowboys because they cracked a whip! I didn't know it applied to all native Floridians.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  19. Cherylndesigns

It's probably changed over the years, Courtney. You know how that goes. Florida is kind of like California - there are way more "transplants" than natives. Native Floridians are fond of flaunting it. LOL

When we tell Asher to put his shoes on to take a walk, he says "I don't need shoes - I'm a little Florida boy" - said with a "southern accent". LOL

bestcee likes this.
  20. bestcee

That's hilarious!

Munchkin always says I don't need shoes, it's not January.