Rachel Jefferies SEP 2019 Mixed Media Challenge + August Winners

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by ArmyGrl, Sep 1, 2019.

1. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Hi all! I am Armygrl (Lisa) from Rachel’s Creative Team. I am your host for the September challenge. Before we get on with that, who are the lucky winners for the August challenge?

August Winners

Thank you so much for playing along in the August challenge! I LOVED seeing how Rachel's Creative Team sparked your very own creative muse. Each page you created was uniquely yours, even though you found inspiration from the CT’s layout’s design, colors or theme.

The winners drawn at random are . . . .
    $10 @Janisn and
    $6 @carrie1977

Congratulations! Your coupons will come ASAP!

Sep 2019 Challenge

This month I want you to creatively use collage papers to create your very own element or new paper. This is NOT a technique challenge. You are not limited to the examples provided here. This is a creative challenge!

For this challenge you are welcome to use any of Rachel’s collage papers or mixed media papers to create your own unique element or paper. You can use many techniques or tools to create your own unique element or paper. Here are some examples of what you can do:

· Create a unique shape from the paper
    · Extract a portion of the paper
    · Use a blend mode on the paper
    · Use the gradient tool on the paper

Here are two quick tutorials on using Photoshop shapes and extractions. There are MANY ways to get the same result. These quick tutorials assume you are already familiar with the basics of your program such as how to open up a new page, how to drag and drop an element onto a new page, and how to save.

Using Photoshop Shapes:
    For this tutorial, I am using Rachel’s Newsworthy Collages.
    1. First, I opened the paper I wanted to work with in Photoshop.
    2. Next, I created a new layer. In that layer I used the Custom Shape Tool to create a star.
    1. ShapeTool.jpg

3. I moved the paper layer over my star. With the paper layer selected, I “right clicked” then selected “create clipping mask.” I moved the paper into position over my star, and then merged those layers. Now I have a unique element made from collage paper.
    2. LayerOrder.jpg

How to do a quick extraction:
    From Newsworthy Collages, I want to extract the following piece of newsprint.
    1. AreaOfInterest.jpg

1. Using the Magnetic Lasso Tool, I follow the outline of the newsprint.
    2. Select-Magnetic-Lasso.jpg
    Note the settings:

·Feather—0. This will give a crisp, sharp edge. If you want a smooth, blurry edge, increase Feather.
    ·Width: 10px. This is typically Photoshop’s default. Increasing Width increases your selector size. I don’t recommend changing this.
    ·Contrast 10%. I am extracting off-white from bright white and grey. If I zoom into the pixel level, I can see there is very little contrast between these colors. The magnetic lasso tool may have a hard time selecting the newsprint. However, with Contrast set to a low percentage (10%), I will have good selection. Since I want to make a DIGITAL mixed media piece that seems organic, I am okay with imperfections.
    ·Frequency 57. Frequency lays anchor points. If there is a lot of contrast between your background and the item you wish to extract, you may decrease Frequency (lay less anchor points). If there is little contrast between your background and the item you wish to extract, you may increase Frequency (lay more anchor points).

2. Once you have made your selection, right click and select “Layer via Copy.” Now you have your unique element.
    4.-Refining-Edge.jpg

3. For my layout, I directly imported my unique element. I did this by selecting its layer, then simply dragging it into my layout. Note: I used a brush tool to “ink” out words I did not want and thus give emphasis to “You think you can.”
    YouThinkYouCan.jpg

Putting it all together:
    September’s challenge is a creative challenge...you are to creatively use Rachel’s collage papers or mixed media artistry papers in a unique way. In the layout below, I used the star from the shapes tutorial. In addition, I used the polygonal lasso tool to extract the red box from a Newsworthy Collage paper. I also used the multiply blend mode on the collage paper to give color to the black paper. You are welcome to use any of these techniques in your layout, or come up with your own technique.
    DreamItFinal.jpg

Challenge Requirements
    :

· Because you are creating a unique element or using a blend mode to create a unique paper, it may not be obvious how you creatively used a collage paper or mixed media paper. Please give a brief description on what technique you used and what you created.

· Where possible challenge layouts must use 100% of Rachel Jefferies Designs currently available in the TLP store (Collaborations including Mixed Media Monthly Subscription Kits and Add Ons are also ok!). The exception to this is retired products that were previously for sale at TLP which can be used. A few elements here or there from other products that were previously available prior to Rachel's retirement or freebies may also be used.

· Upload your layout to the Rachel Jefferies Designs Gallery at TLP.

· For your challenge entry to be counted, you MUST reply to this thread with your finished layout. Please link your thread layout to your gallery.

· No double dipping for other challenges, I'd like to see brand new pages.

· The challenge will be open through September 30th at which time a random participant will win a $10 coupon to Rachel's shop. The winner will be announced when October’s challenge is posted.

New Release bonus entries ..
    It feels great to scrap with fresh new releases, if you are scrapping with a product released during September 2019 (either a new release or a SOSN release) you'll bag yourself a bonus entry for an extra chance to win a coupon should you not be the $10 coupon winner. One winner from the bonus entries will be picked from random to win a $6 coupon to Rachel's shop.

**It would be helpful when posting your page in this thread that you note you are eligible for the New Release Bonus Entry. Please note which Sep 2019 New Release (or Sep SOSN release) you used. This would make it faster for me cross checking all the entries when making the random draw for winners!

I can't wait to see how you creatively use collage and mixed media papers to create your very own element or new paper! If you have any questions or need help, please reach out to me, Armygrl. Please give me 24--72hrs to reply as I work full time and I’m a student.

Here are examples from Rachel’s Creative Team:

From Jaye: For my page I created a new paper by using a base paper from Citron and then used blend mode multiply on a paper from Make Art and Journal 3. Elements are from Citron | Make Art and Journal 3.
    20190827-3-septchallenge.jpg

From Cindy: "I used Sunshine In Her Soul; I extracted the coral pieces of paper (between the word art and the photo) from the Mixed Media Paperie.”
    69662159_10219958798020104_6560968131286663168_n.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  2. ArmyGrl

Its me again! I have one more example to share, but I could not post it in the main thread due to maximum file upload :blush

From Mcurtt
    I started out with a base paper (#05) from Those Wings Paperie. On the right of the page, I selected another collage paper from Those Wings MM Collages #03, angling it to allow for the dotted line from my base paper to show through. I also blended this collage paper with a blend mode of multiply at 100%. On the left side, I selected paper #03 from Pastures Green Paperie, again angled it to line up with the dotted line from my base paper & used a blend mode of DARKEN at 100%. This removed a few of the harder edges...

For the lined ripped paper envelope, I extracted that from a paper from Newsworthy Collage #04 as well as the newspaper text you see along the left of the page “a great stillness arises within”. I selected each word and copied it into a new layer so that I would have better control for placement. I then added some paint, some gesso, sequins, a twig, messy date stamps, shadows and called it done.

Rachel-Jefferies_2019-09_September_Challenge_web.jpg

Thank you Rachel’s Creative Team for providing such lovely, textured, mixed-media heaven examples!

cfile likes this.
  3. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

ArmyGrl likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Congrats @Janisn and @carrie1977

Here's my page. There's an explanation of the process I used in the gallery.

[​IMG]

5. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

What a great challenge and idea for stretching our stash! Thank you, Lisa!

I extracted the coral pieces of paper (between the word art and the photo) from the Sunshine In Her Soul Mixed Media Paperie.
    [​IMG]

ArmyGrl likes this.
  6. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Congratulations to both @Janisn and @carrie1977 :byay

The backstory: This moth landed on our living room window and sat there in the sun for a good ten minutes. I grabbed my camera & shot right thru the glass. So what you are seeing is the underside of the moth. It was huge, at least a 3" wingspan.

Here is my contribution to the challenge with a link back to my gallery & credits:

[​IMG]

ArmyGrl likes this.
  7. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

Great Layouts So Far Here!...I Love Creating My Own Background Papers...I Do This Pretty Much On A Regular Basis...It Is Just So Much Digi-Fun...I Just Can't Stop Myself!!!...But I Took A Completely Different Approach Here...Since Blending Was Allowed Here For This Challenge!...I Went For That...My Favorite Thing To Do...Next To Creating My Own Papers...

*Some Of You May Know About My Personal Struggles With My Health & My Anxiety/Depression Issues...I Semi-Often Scrap About These Things When They Come To Mind...I Was Having A Really Tough Day The Other Day...I Was Literally Exhausted From Life's Responsibilities...Whenever I Feel This Way...I Go Right To My Art-Therapy-Zone...Creating My Precious Layouts...I Think The Layout Is Pretty Much Self-Explanatory...It Is Bright & Bold Like Me...Showcasing My Love Of Flowers & Bright,Bold Colors...But There Is So Much Seriousness Going On Here...This Lady's Face Struck Me As Mesmerizingly Sad,Scared,Frazzled,Frayed & Crying Out For HELP!!!...She Was The Perfect Face For The Subject Of My Layout...Her Eyes Look Haunted & Frail To Me...She Totally Captured How I Was Feeling At That Moment In Time...But I Didn't Want To Be All Gloom & Doom Either...I Wanted To Show That Even On The Days When Things Are Overwhelming...There Is Always Positivity Right Around The Corner...I Love The Idea Of Creating Layouts About "Transformation"...You Can See A Few Tears...A Clock in The Backdrop...Dictating Time Marching On...Green In The Backdrop...Symbolizing Nature & All It's Beauty...Bright! Lovely! Flowers Too!...Looking At Nature's Beauty Stills My Heart & Makes Me Happy!...And Then...You See The Transformation Coming Upon You...A Wonderful Butterfly Slowly Creeps In & Changes Everything...A Chance To Smile...A Chance To Hope...A Chance To Fly...A Chance To Transform...

*Specifically For This Challenge...I Blended 4 Papers Together To Create My Final Paper & I Added A Multi-Circle Stamp With Newsprint On It...In Various Places For Just The Right Contrast...Oh Yeah!...I Totally Recolored All The Papers(...And Added Various Effects...) To Match The Color-Scheme That I Was Going For...I Love Rachel's Papers!...They Are So Perfect For Blending & ReColoring!...I Also Took A WA Cue From Rachel's New Kit "Utterly & Completely"...I Liked The "Hey Missy" WA...But I Wanted All My WA's To Match Selectively...So Instead...I Created My Own WA To Match My 2 Other Created WA...And The "Transform" WA Inspiration...Also Came From "Wings Unfolded"...Once Again Recreated To Selectively Match The Other 2 WA's...

*Thank You! For Another Great Challenge!

*For My Each New Day Layout-I Used:

*Wings Unfolded:Artistry & Paperie/Silent Battles:Stress/Bundle & Poisson-Artistry-All By Rachel Jefferies

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    ArmyGrl and Cherylndesigns like this.
  8. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

9. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

This was fun! I extracted a piece from the wood background of Shine Bright (patterned paper 4) and laid it on the right hand edge of Shine Bright pp 2. I also extracted a piece from the number background of the same kit (04) and used soft light to mix it with the background. Further, I made the leaves with a PSE shape and Shine Bright Paper 06. I recolored the photo slightly with a tan overlay and recolored the paint from M3 Jan 19 Mixed artistry to match the rest. Thanks for the challenge.

[​IMG]

ArmyGrl likes this.
  10. SharLamb

ArmyGrl likes this.
  11. nietis

nietis Well-Known Member

I used lots of blending and different blend modes on this page to create new background and clipped the tree stamp on the word dreamer:
    [​IMG]

ArmyGrl likes this.
  12. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I made unique shape (clouds) from idomyownthing mixed media paper, extracted marks that looked like raindrops from an element in makeartandjournal Lovers (added strokes and white plastic styles), used one of the impastos from you are magical to create shape of photo, poisson is the background and word art from sunshine in the soul.
    [​IMG]

ArmyGrl likes this.
  13. Thuria

Thuria Well-Known Member

@ArmyGrl Hi, thanks for this challenge. Just one question please (to be sure): we cannot use various pieces of paper in Rachel's kits to make our own collage? If we want pieces of paper, we have to cut them from her collage papers. Is this correct? For the shapes, it's understood. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  14. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

thank you for the wonderful Challenge.
    I have created a brush from the Photoshop-own forms, painted and filled it with papers and then filled the rectangular shape also with different papers

[​IMG]

ArmyGrl likes this.
  15. SharLamb

wvsandy and ArmyGrl like this.
  16. ArmyGrl

O my...I am so sorry for the slow response. As long as you use Rachel’s collage papers or mixed media artistry papers, you will meet the intention of the challenge...to creatively use collage papers to make your own unique paper or element. So, if you only used solid papers to make a unique collage, that would not count. The key is to use already existing collage or mixed media papers.

17. ArmyGrl

Woot woot! :dancebun It is only day 7...and look at how many fabulous creations there are! :cloud9

18. Thuria

Thuria Well-Known Member

@ArmyGrl Thanks a lot for you answer!

19. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

I used three different papers with different blended modes!
    I extracted from a paper a form on which a paper was inscribed and wrote the name of the dog!
    I used the gradient tool on a paper!
    Thank you ArmyGrl for this challenge, I had fun to make this page!

[​IMG]

ArmyGrl likes this.
  20. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

I Am Back Here With My Second Offering For This Wonderful Challenge!...I Often Extract Objects From Well...Quite Frankly...Anything Or Anywhere I Can...If I Like It And/Or Want It For My Layout...An Extract-Ing I Go...That Being Said In This Case I Did Multiple Extractions To Complete My Layout...First-ly...I Extracted The Letters On The Left Side Of Paper No.6 From Utterly & Completely...I & Copied Them 4 Times & Placed Them In Behind My Large Round Red Raindrops Pic(ReColored By The Way...)...Equally Around The Circle...And Then I Extracted The Words..."Yourself-You" From Paper No.1 Also From The Utterly & Completely Collection...I Also Extracted 1 Bead Each From Each Bead Scatter That I Used(Blue & Green...Again...ReColored...) & Placed Them One On Each Side To Evenly Round Out The Circle Composition...Such A Fun! & Vibrant Collection!...So Much Fun To Work With It!...

*For My You Are An Original Layout-I Used:Utterly & Completely-Bundle-Rachel Jefferies

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    ArmyGrl likes this.