Question for all you hoarders?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Aug 18, 2019.

1. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Confessions:::
    I still have the My Little Pony (TV cartoon) kit from some designer somewhere. I bought it because at the time the kids were teasing each other about watching it. But I have never used it and now they could care less about the show. Maybe I should do an art journal page, use a few ponies, and then toss the kit.

A designer I follow from another store has some kits I really like, so much so that I even bought the same kit twice. I did gift the second copy to a friend, but I think I used the kit one time to scrap one page. That one is still in my "non TLP" stash.

A certain young male designer, long retired, created several guy kits that totally rock. I still use those from time to time. I will probably keep them forever.

I bought 100's of dollars worth of Creative Memories and then Panstoria art kits and templates. I have moved them off to archive EHD because I could not just delete them. Due to their proprietary format, it would be a tedious, mind numbing exercise to save them in a format I could use elsewhere. Sadly, at this point, my style has changed so much that the vast majority just doesn't fit any more. We all change over time.

So hide them away on an EHD somewhere and eventually you will delete them. p.s. That 286 machine software we had on floppy disks in a box in storage for 20 years? I threw it away this summer.

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  2. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I do understand! Years ago I bought an element kit or maybe a font that was the kind of letter you see on school jackets etc. I have ONE child who was the family athlete and had a jacket from one of his high schools. However, I always hated that look and after about 8 years I finally deleted the kit. EIGHT years! I do not regret it because now there's a free font for most everything. There are also some designers whose products are just not my style but I have a few kits just for challenges. Most of those come from TLP free collections.

I've learned not to buy what I no longer really really like but purging the old is still hard. They can probably write on my grave "She never let go of her Ali Edwards kits...." even though I haven't bought on in probably 5? years.

3. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Specially clusters that might be a bit old.

4. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I know you can, this week is crazy, but let me see if I can put something together for you.

5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@littlekiwi I found this article on Adobe's site about clipping masks:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/clipping-masks.html#create_a_clipping_mask
    Maybe it can give you some basic info before I can find something more in-depth (I'm on my phone; I can try to find more info tomorrow when I'm at my laptop).
    Oh lightbulb moment: Cheryl uses clipping masks during her Watch Cheryl Scrap events (she clips photos to the existing photo spots as well as papers to the paper spots in her templates), so I bet you could watch a WCS recording on her YouTube channel to see how it's done.

6. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

You don't get the money back whether you use it or whether you don't. It's a sunken cost.

DELETE & BE FREE, FRIENDS!

bestcee likes this.
  7. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this, in theory. Because, well, it's true: you've already spent the money, and that money is gone whether you use the stuff or let it sit on your hard drive. But in practice...(sigh), I have a very hard time deleting, especially if it's stuff by a designer whose work I currently use. For example, I use a lot of stuff by ForeverJoy Designs, and often buy her new kits about 10 minutes after release, because I love it and I know I'm going to use it. But I do have a few older FJD kits that I know I'll never use, but can't bring myself to delete because it's FJD and her stuff is awesome...

I do need to do a purge, though, because I simply have too much stuff taking up too much space. I love some of the suggestions in this thread, and especially the idea of treating digital items more like tangible ones.

bestcee likes this.
  8. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

I tend to keep everything on an external hard drive except for my newest purchases. I just bought a bigger drive!!! I know, not helping here.

I did the same thing with my house, when "down-sizing" after my girls left home, I went from a 3,000 sq ft house to a 6,000...look...no more clutter, ha ha....just kinda kidding. It was my husband's fault, you can't get a bigger garage with a smaller house!

I have deleted some kits from when I bought from anyone (now I am pretty much exclusive to TLP, makes keeping in the posting rules and designer rules much easier).

Now we need a thread that tells everyone which TLP kits you would never, ever part with....like Just Jamiee's Stitched Alpha...I love using that one!

cfile and bestcee like this.
  9. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Perfect example and reason of why I DO TRASH scrap supplies sometimes. I don't keep clothes etc that I don't like any more, although I can donate those. But I do the same, I reflect on learning what my true style is and try to buy things that fit that so that I don't have to delete my stash any more.

bestcee likes this.
  10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I adore a retired set of enamel dots that I have! I think they are Just Jaimee's too.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

If I ever feel overwhelmed or like my digistash is a lot of clutter then I might make efforts to delete, but so far, in the 12 or so years I've been digiscrapping, I've felt organized enough that I find what I want and my stash is not taking up much space, nor does it interfere with anything, nor look unsightly, or anything like that. I keep everything on an EHD, organized by store/designer. Since I've been devoted to TLP for the last few years, I rarely look in any other folder -- my TLP folder actually has a shortcut in my Finder sidebar so I can go directly to it -- and using the search bar usually brings up what I want.

Also, the fact that things change applies for the future too. Just like we might have bought a kit 5 years ago that now we have little interest in, that could change again in another 5 years and we're interested in it again.

So I'm not inclined to delete anything.

Sometimes I'm inspired by browsing through my old stash.

bestcee, cfile and HavaDrPepper like this.
  12. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I would play with the kit a little, and maybe mix it with something I love but have "over used". Art journaling is a good way to explore a kit to see how you like using it.

If that doesn't work for you then maybe keep the few elements that you really liked and delete the rest. I have the benefit of my @Toucanettes who have different styles and likes to me, so they tend to work with things I might not work with.

bestcee likes this.
  13. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

Cottage Chic by ForeverJoy Designs: the beautiful florals and stripes and dots...the whimsical, 'bingo card' chipboard numbers...the vintage cool colour scheme... I've made about 5 or 6 family history pages with this kit, and I'm still not done with it!

Tree City and bestcee like this.