Wake Up | Pad Patter 8.18

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Aug 18, 2019.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I slept until 8:30 this morning! I couldn't even tell you the last time I slept that late! It's been many, many years. No matter what time I go to bed I never sleep later than 7 or 7:30 and it's usually more like 6:30, but this last week has been a doozy so I guess it was all catching up with me.
    Starting tomorrow, I go back to 5am mornings as it's back to work for me :groan:overreact

What's your usual wake up time? Does it vary during the week/year?

2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Whenever the heck I want is the usual around here unless I have to be somewhere early - restful sleep around for me is a bit hit and miss still and has been for 7-8 months now so getting any and all sleep is my priority. It is getting better over the last month or so now I have a diagnosis of sleep apnea and treatment.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Always used to be able to sleep in. In my younger years, it was a regular thing to sleep to 10 or later in the mornings. When I had to be at work at 7:30, it was rough going for me to get up by 6:30. Several times over the years, I actually overslept.

So imagine my surprise now that I am retired and can sleep in except when I have something going on... I am awake by 6 every single morning! Even on weekends! Even when I'm up at midnight. Peyton had me up 3 times Friday night to go outside and I was still up by 6:30. Last night she must have been feeling better because she never got me up... and I slept til 7:30. Must have been tired!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. IntenseMagic

I'm glad that you are getting treatment and better sleep!! It's so important!

I was great at sleeping in when I was younger as well, but it seems like the older I get, the earlier I get up.

5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I get up anywhere between 9 and 10 most mornings. It depends on how late I've stayed up the night before. I'm a night owl so sometimes it's 2 AM.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm a morning bird and wake up easily, most often in the 7:00 hour. It would probably be even earlier but I also tend to stay up late because I'm enjoying stuff and don't get around to going to bed as soon as maybe I should.

I think it does vary a little according to the season and I'm more likely to stay up later and sleep in later in the winter.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I work just tues/wed so those days I have an early wake up time- alarm off at 6:20. On the remaining days, I'm usually up by 8, especially when kids are back in school. On weekends we try to sleep in, but the latest I've slept in all summer has been 9am (which is wonderful!) :)

IntenseMagic and SeattleSheri like this.
  8. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I just read an article about sleep times. There is a very strong genetic component to natural wake times, etc. It was really interesting. I naturally wake up anytime between 7-8am on most days ... however, on weekdays when I'm going to work, I set my alarm for 6:15. I'm most definitely a night owl, so that only gets me about 6 hours of sleep on a good day (7 is my sweet spot).

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

I'm a night owl in the summer, but also an early riser lol That's when I try to squeeze in a nap :)

I really love the early morning, it's pretty much my favorite. But, I do hate going to bed sometimes. I get too involved in other things lol.

Speaking of school, I have really got to get my kid back on a schedule lol. 9am does sound really nice!!

7 is my sweet spot as well. I'd really love to have 8 from time to time during the school year, but that would mean going to bed at 9, and I just can't. I try really hard to be in bed by 10 but that's even hard to do.

michelepixels and SeattleSheri like this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

For many years, I just could not go to bed before 10 unless I was sick. Even when I had to get up at 6 or 6:30, I wouldn't go to bed until 11. And, I usually didn't fall asleep right away either. I needed 8+ hours sleep for many years so would usually make up for my lack of sleep during the week on the weekends.

Mom did a baby book about me and wrote things down and a couple years ago I found it and read it. I had to laugh at one of her entries when I was less than a year old. I was wide awake and ready to play... at 11:30 at night! So even as a baby I was a night owl. Neither of my parents were though!

But when I retired, it was like a flip switched in my brain. Now that I don't have to get up, I wake up early. Even on those mornings where I have stayed up late. But I have found that there are times that I will go to bed before 11. I will turn the tv on and inevitably, I fall right asleep even though it might be something I want to watch.

I'm sure mom and dad are up in heaven enjoying me getting up early in the mornings without an alarm. Karma at its finest! Even in high school, mom had to get me up because I always turned the alarm off. I struggled with mornings really bad. Now even though I may get up early, it does take me an hour or so to get in gear to do anything.

11. IntenseMagic

I drove my mom crazy not wanting to get up in high school. She's always been an early riser and I remember when I was younger thinking "why do you get up when you don't have to" :giggle
    I do sit for 30 min or so with my my coffee in the morning before I can really function.

12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I used to be able to sleep in like a real professional, but over the last year or so... my sleeper-inner is broken :giggle The latest I can sleep anymore is about 8:00-8:30 and even then that's with me waking up earlier and putting on my eye mask to trick myself into thinking it's still dark out and I should sleep more. I don't know why I even bother, I should just get up, but I also like to stay up late and I don't want to be tired all day. lol. I have a feeling when I do get to retire, I'll go back to my late night ways and sleep in a little better, but we'll see. My hubby wakes up at the crack of dawn too and I can just feel him looking at me. :giggle

During the summer I work 8-5 with an hour lunch break. During the school year I work 6:45-3:00 with only 15 minutes at my desk for lunch. That's so I can pick up my kids from school. Well, now it's just the youngest because he goes to a private Lutheran school with no buses. The older one is in high school now and he can walk home from school. This will be my last year working these early hours.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. HavaDrPepper

That's what I thought and was hoping for. Didn't happen!

:crazy3

Karen likes this.
  14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Now that school has started for Daniel, we go to bed at 11 pm with a wake-up at 8 am. I usually read for at least 30 minutes (but sometimes I read for an hour or longer). On the weekends, I still try to have us in bed by 1 am so that he doesn't get too off track with his sleep. We leave the house on weekdays at 8:45 am to take him to school, so I'm usually back home at 9 am to begin my day of housekeeping and designing.

I am definitely a night owl, and love to stay up late and then sleep in. In the last couple of years, though, I've found that I don't bounce back like I used to when I stay up late. Since we started a routine for sleep, I've been much more alert! Imagine that! LOL

When I was a baby, my mom would put me to sleep at 8 pm and she would have to wake me up at 8 am. I was also a great napper (that hasn't changed - ha!).

Karen and IntenseMagic like this.
  15. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I have the dog alarm and her usual time is between 7 and 7:30am. However when summer rolled around she started waking me at 6am. Then we took her west to another time zone and that "reset" her. She has been having some health problems so some mornings I wake up before her. Lately, it has been around 7am.

I like a good 7 hours of sleep as read by my Fitbit (it subtracts out awake times). So that means I need to head to bed by 10pm so I am actually in bed for 8 to 9 hours.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I get up between 7 & 7:15 am during the work/school week. Saturday completely depends on what's happening the rest of the day. I usually sleep in on Sundays.

I am NOT a morning person so my kids are always, always, always up before me. This is why I taught them to go downstairs after they wake up so the noise is contained. :giggle

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. IntenseMagic

I'm sure you will be happy for the change in hours! But yeah, my sleeper-inner broke awhile back and I never could fix it :giggle

They have a pretty late school start! We start a little after 8 and the elementary schools around here start at 7:30ish. The one thing that I do like about going back to work is the routine. I've always been a great napper, too :)

I am the only one in my house that's ever been a morning person. My two boys like to stay up all night and sleep all day. My daughter just likes to sleep whenever, wherever. She was actually home in bed to sleep on prom night before the prom was even over lol. I think this is why I have learned to love the mornings...it is my quiet coffee time before the chaos.

So funny that taking her to a new time zone reset her. I didn't know that was possible!

gonewiththewind, Karen and BevG like this.