Question for all you hoarders?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Aug 18, 2019.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

of scrappy items (of course). Had some unplanned down time with no internet so spent some time having a look at my stash and I found some things that were appealing when I bought them more for the subject than the design if that makes sense or they just appealed at the time so I'm not seeing how I can use the designs in layouts that suit my style - would you delete what you don't love or try and scrap with it at least once then decide? It's mainly Bella Gypsy, Forever Joy and Etc by Danyale (I know shes no longer here) that I'm struggling with, its almost like I paid good money so I should keep them but I just don't know

2. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I never delete stuff I've bought, feels like throwing away money. I put them in an EHD, sometimes in a folder named "unsure". And then I try to focus on the things I like and actually use them (and I have a lot!).
    It's not bad if we don't like the things we used to like: our taste and scrapping skills evolve with time. But I do know the feeling "what was I thinking?"!!!
    But with freebies, I find myself deleting almost everything: for example, if I download a mini that I only like one paper or element, I keep only that. I delete everything that's similar to what I already have, or it's too simple to make, or it's a recolor (I don't need the same flower in 10 colors!). I only make sure to name the file with the designer's and kit's full names, if it's named i.e. "paper_1.jpg".

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I take the lesson I've learned about why it wasn't for me and then delete. Life is too short to look through scrap supplies I don't care for to get to what I do like.
    For me, it all works out in the end. I may not use kit A, but I used Kit B for 10 layouts!

I do honestly think about why I bought the product, what was my intention, and why I don't feel like it fits me anymore.
    I try to treat Digi scrap supplies the same way I treat clothes and other things like cookbooks. Sure, I spent good money on that cookbook, but it was all meals with expensive ( or whatever) ingredients, so I'm not going to use it. Off to the thrift store. And a lesson learned: I borrow 90% of cookbooks from the library first before I decide to buy them.

LoveItScrapIt and ashleywb like this.
  4. littlekiwi

I guess I struggle with getting rid of entire kits as I’m often spending a minimum of 10-20% more even if it’s on sale thanks to a sucky exchange rate (can’t do much about that). If it was just an item or two I’d want to delete from each kit I’d be sweet with the idea of deleting.

With Bella Gypsy’s stuff I could probably make it work but the more shabby chic styles I struggle with as I’m way more of a simple scrapper - probably why Just Jaimee and Mommyish are some of my fave designers

5. littlekiwi

@bestcee - my intention was more than likely along the lines of like the theme, on sale, think I could use it eventually etc. Truthfully I don’t buy with a photo or layout in mind that much at all, it’s usually a I like it kind of thing

bestcee likes this.
  6. littlekiwi

What’s funny is I’m super picky about what freebies I download these days and have no qualms about the delete button or just passing on a blog hop stop but when it’s my own money I’ve spent I’m paralysed by what was I thinking and why did I buy this, it’s not really my style etc months down the track

7. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Oh my! I think I still have the very first kit I ever bought over 10 years ago!! Many of these designers arn't even designing anymore. One of my favorites was Rina Kroes. How I love her kits and will never get rid of them. She stopped designing quite a few years ago. I use a lot of my kits for card making so they really do get used.

8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I agree with everything that's been said. Like Courtney mentioned, I too think of my DS stash like I do my clothes: fashions/styles change, as do I. Having said that...with DS, you may want to keep stuff for challenges, esp with the exchange rate right now. Perhaps you could save the 1 or 2 papers/elements that you like from each kit so you'd have them for challenge pages--esp. challenges that call for certain items (I'm thinking speed and slow scraps). And then, instead of shopping sale and being persuaded by cheap prices, you could buy one or two kits at full price that you LOVE (or use your wish list as a "holding place" for items until they're on sale). That's a lesson I've learned with clothes, too. I'd rather have fewer items that I wear and enjoy - even if I purchase them at full price - than to buy lots of stuff on sale but isn't really "me." My fave store is based in the UK (with no physical stores in the US), so I pay a lot for the clothes and sometimes for shipping (I try to wait until they have a free shipping deal...esp. because returns cost $8 to ship back, sigh).

Or, keep the kits and make minimalist pages with them. One of my most favorite "simple" pages was created with a ForeverJoy kit...and usually I "go big" with her wonderful kits! You can make clean-and-simple pages with whatever items you like, even if the designer isn't known as a "clean and simple" designer.

bestcee, Lisa B and littlekiwi like this.
  9. littlekiwi

@Tree City - I’d love to say the exchange rate issue will get better but it’s hard to see it. Right now $1USD is approximately $1.40-1.45NZD, best it’s been in the past few years I’d guess is $1USD to $1.20-1.25USD. This ultimately means most of my shopping is from SOSN.

I already use wish lists but more goes on than comes off it at the moment - might be a good chance to really see why I’ve put things on there so I don’t have as much buyers remorse months later

I might try and scrap a layout or two with some of the kits I’m on the fence about and if after that it’s still not gelling creatively I might look to purge bits of kits or possibly entire kits.

Tree City likes this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I too have bought kits that I now wonder why I bought them. A lot of them were in my beginning days of digi scrapping. I also downloaded a lot of freebies in those days but most of those have long been deleted. The kits I bought have been relegated to an EHD in a folder of "Other Dig Scrap Kits". Many are from designers now retired and like @Tree City said, styles have changed. I could still use them as I am more about papers and general type elements than the specialized stuff found in kits these days.

As for buying now, I rarely buy. Even from my favorite designers. I am not a fan of shabby chic or artsy type of stuff so never look at it to begin with. And, the designers I do like have started doing more themed stuff. Themes that I cannot relate to as they are geared towards kids. I already have enough kits that are kid-centric that if I do end up with photos of kids, I can find a kit to use.

I do sometimes put kits on my wish list and may buy when there is a sale but I have found that by the time there is a sale, my desire for the kit just might be gone.

The only thing I have a desire to buy these days is more of the state templates @Scrapping with Liz. Need to have a complete set!

Scrapping with Liz likes this.
  11. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm reading this as I'm transferring all my digi kits from one EHD to another...

I've gotten to the point where I'm starting to delete those kits that no longer spark my creativity. Up until a few months ago I never deleted ANYTHING. Now I'm starting the slow process of removing those kits that I know I'll never use again. I tossed freebies a while back because I wasn't using them, and I've been good to ignore digi scrap parades and the like ever since.

I've also found that I love some kits, but once I've downloaded them they aren't very "workable" for me. Meaning, that I have to work hard to get a page made with them (I'm pretty much a one-kit scrapper). Those I've started to delete unless, like others have said, there's things in it that I can use to supplement another kit.

And styles change, both mine and the designers. I know there was one kit that I said I'd NEVER delete because I loved it so much, but I just deleted it because it wasn't so special anymore. Why? There's other kits (and designers) I've found that are more amazing!

I also understand the cost aspect of it all. It's hard to let go of something you paid good money for, especially when money's tight because you'd have to replace it if you ever needed it again.

So, I'd say delete if you know you'll never, ever use it again. If you have the room to store them in an EHD, then hold onto them until you really, truly know you don't want them anymore. Good luck!!

bestcee and Cherylndesigns like this.
  12. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I would say take them for a spin, and see if you can use it in a page you are working with right now. If not just get rid of them. I do sometimes use lots of stuff as masks, so think about it. AN ENTIRE CLUSTER could be transformed into a mask!

13. littlekiwi

hmm never considered masks as an option only cause a) i’m not really sure what they are b) not sure if PSE 15 can do them and c) have no clue how to do them anyway

14. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm on the very same page. I have no problem deleting things that I know I'll never use.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  15. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Yes PSE 15 does masks. start with making a clipping mask of them ; Place the element on your page put a photo on to the layer directly above it, then click control/alt /g in that order, your photo will now be the shape of the element, you can still move the photo about inside the element to make it look better. Christa Cfile and many others here at the Pad do some wonderful tutorials on masks and other lovely ways to stretch your stash ! Look at the learning pad.
    As for keeping stuff, unless I absolutely hate it, I keep it on an EHD, but I use my kits for many things , not just scrapbooking. Styles change, but basic design stays true, also useful elements like objects always come handy one way or the other - A Cat is a cat - however it is done ,- drawn, pencilled in , full colour, photo realistic ,it is still a cat.

cfile and ashleywb like this.
  16. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I am trying to view digital items more like tangible ones. If I haven't used them in a year and they don't seem to fit my style/or I can't envision a way to use them, then I delete. That said, I might scan through the individual elements and papers and see if there are particular pieces I might want to keep - such as a white background paper, a fastener or frame, word art, etc. Put those in a "favorites" or "go-to" folder and delete the rest.

@Dalis I had not thought about using items as masks. Great idea!

bestcee and QuiltyMom like this.
  17. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

:) Yup exactly :)

18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm a happy resident of Hoarderville so I'm not sure I can help but I will say having a stash of a variety of things in a range of styles has been useful to me especially thru challenges like MOC, (I know not all the designers in my TLP stash are currently here but I just add them to a separate section in my digi folder - I worry I will have 'delete regret' or something & really can't let them go ) & sometimes I'm inspired by just one or two pieces of a kit & like Sara said, it can be the difference between a minimal page I love & not having scrapped anything at all. I also know my style can change on a whim with how i'm feeling or what I've just seen in the gallery etc & having a variety of goodies makes me feel like that's OK, y'know so they serve that purpose & they encourage me to play & experiment & be more arty for example.

My only real practical suggestion would be to maybe look at the kits you are questioning in context of any BYOCs they may be a part of & keep them in a folder along with other kits in the same colour scheme and treat them as one big collab.
    Anyway, I think it's great you are seriously looking thru your stash & maybe it's a good time to try to make some ready made unique 'mix & match' kits. (Eg. Make your own folder of a paper from here, an element from there, etc (& most designers have their names as part of the naming on each of their separate items so crediting should still be easy enough) like a paper scrapping club sort of 'kit' from pieces you find the most appealing in your stash as you're going thru all the folders) - Good luck!

SeattleSheri and cfile like this.
  19. littlekiwi

Ooh that’s an awesome idea @bellbird

bellbird likes this.
  20. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

For a long time I didn't want to delete anything. But then when I started purging, it felt good to let go of some stash I knew I'd never use again and concentrate on what I did really like and found I used more.

So, I think that purging is a great thing for uncluttering your digi stash so you can see what you really love in there. But....putting some of the less loved, older products onto an EHD for safekeeping in case you might want to use them again is a good option too. If you're really apprehensive about deleting, then store them for awhile and see if you miss them or if you just forget about them, before making up your mind.