Fairs | Pad Patter 8.11

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Aug 11, 2019.

1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

LOL about the sketchy rides. I haven't been to our county fair in a few years. The kids got older and went with their friends and the hubby is not into it at all. This year my daughter entered the photography contests so even if she goes with her friends - I already told her she has to go with me too. So I'm kind of excited to go for a little bit again.

We don't really go to see any particular concert or fair event - whatever happens to be going on when we arrive we'll check out. I think the people watching is my favorite part too ... and I try to avoid most of the food bc it's all so greasy and makes my stomach hurt later - but maybe I'll allow myself one thing. We'll see.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  2. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

My 2 older girls literally just got home from a meeting to help out with the fair. I LOVE our little local county fair. It's a small agricultural fair...no rides and no food worth buying but it's fun taking my kids to see all of the animals. Plus they like entering some things in 4H. They've won a few 1st place ribbons over the years. :) I mostly like it because it's nice walking around seeing everyone...it's seriously a BIG deal around here and EVERYONE goes. Plus it's FREE...sometimes we go multiple times throughout the week.

I do have a funny story from the first time I went. We had recently moved to our small, rural town and I was used to our normal county fair in Jacksonville, FL....rides, foods, concerts, etc... A friend and I showed up with our kids (she had recently moved from a big city too) and we literally walked around in 5 minutes and we were like, "That's it!?! Where's the food? Where are the rides? It's just animals and little crafts from kids!"

It's been over 10 years since we made fun of our fair but it's grown on me and I look forward to it every year now.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

And I've actually never been to our State Fair...too far away.

4. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

The neighboring county has one of the largest county fairs in the country but the parking and getting there is such a hassle (like 5-10 mile back-ups so it takes 1+ hour just to get to the fairgrounds to park!) that we don't go unless it's during the day when everyone else is at work. We used to go to the state fair when we lived there but now we're 2 1/2 hours away.

I am actually going to the same county fair in a neighboring state twice this week! I'm going to a concert tomorrow night with a friend of mine & then I'm taking my daughter for her birthday this Saturday to ride some rides.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Heading to Traverse City tomorrow but unfortunately, not to stay at the Lodge, which I hear is awesome!! Didn't make the Island this year. Went last year and finally got to eat lunch at the Grand Hotel. The food was out of this world!!! Don't forget to buy fudge!!!
    Our Alpena County Fair has gone SOOOO downhill in the past 10 years, its really sad. I still like to go and just see the animals and see all the canning, sewing, etc entries and who got blue ribbons. But this is about all I go for.

IntenseMagic and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  6. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Not quite a fair, but close. The Virginia Scottish Games are almost here - Labor Day weekend! Woohoo!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

We're definitely BUYING FUDGE! Lol
    We also are going to be up there for a Corvette parade (my fave car) and we want to see the butterfly house and sites!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Yep, the expense is one of the main reasons that I don't go as often anymore. I got season passes to the amusement park for what it would cost to spend a day at the fair.

I do enjoy the pig races and those kinds of thing. They have something similar at the county fair and it's so fun!!

The harness racing and draft horse pulls are cool to watch. We have 4 nights of harness racing and all the others are one night.

Oh how cool! Good luck to her in the photography contest!!

That fair sounds so neat. I would love something like that!

Ugh to the parking, that's another part of the fair I don't much like at all. Like you, when we did go it was during the day. Hope you have a great time at the concert and when you go for the rides!!

I fee like our state fair has really gone downhill in recent years and I know it doesn't attract as many people. Our county fair seems to be growing which is good. My kids always enjoyed the animals when they were little. No one wants to spend time with me looking at the crafty or canning things.

That sounds really cool. I Googled it...fun stuff!