Fairs | Pad Patter 8.11

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Aug 11, 2019.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Our state fair started this weekend. It's a little over an hour from our house and we used to go every year, but haven't been for quite a few. I guess it just got to be the same old thing every year...lots of farm animals, sketchy rides, sweating, and a ton of vendors (but some great people watching :giggle). They used to have some awesome concerts, too, but there just hasn't been anyone I've wanted to see for the last several years. The only thing I'd really like to go for (other than people watching) is the food! Funnel cakes call my name from miles away :drool.

Do you go to your state fair? Maybe a county fair (we had one of those last weekend)? Do you love fair food or have another favorite thing about them?

KarenB likes this.
  2. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I used to, but I have no desire to be outside, hot, and sticky. I don’t do the rides anymore and the food u fortunately gives me indigestion.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

When I was growing up, we went to our county fair every summer.
    Now that I have kids, we've been to ours a handful of times. We don't go every year, because I feel the same, like it's just the same old thing.

This year we could have gone, but we told the kids, we want them to experience other fun summer stuff in our state. We didn't do a big vacay this year, we went up to Traverse City and stayed at Great Wold Lodge earlier, and in another week or so, we'll be going to Mackinaw Island to see the sites up there. Way better than the fair and we got 2 trips instead of one night on the rides.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We used to go to The State Fair every year. It was a big deal when I was growing up. Our Aunt and Uncle and our 3 cousins always went with us and we made a whole day out of it.

We had a "free fair" in our town and we never could figure out why it was called "free" because you dropped a bundle of money there. It was all, rides, fair food and sideshows.

We have a really nice fair here in town every November and it's super fun to go to.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

We haven't gone for years. Our kids don't seem to care one way or the other. It's far enough away (about an hour) that it's not really a a desired destination for my older boys (15 and almost 13). They'd rather do something in Seattle. Our state fair is after the school year starts and the school district gives out free tickets. I have a lot of good memories from going to fairs as a kids, but I do think times have changed.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We grew up going to our local county fair- mostly because we lived in the country & all our friends showed animals in the fair! ;) It was expensive tho- so often times we would have to pay ourselves since my mom didn't have the extra $$. Where I live now, we have a really BIG local fair- since the state fair is in Western WA- I think the one here is called the Spokane Interstate Fair. Who knows what that means! lol! My father-in-law's company (machine shop) does all the work for the broken/fixes the rides- so in addition to getting free ride bracelets, he also knows which rides are safe & all fixed! ;) My kids are still young enough that they like to see all the animals. We usually just do one day & mostly just for the food for us grownups! :D My food of choice is the hand dipped corndogs. SO good!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm spoiled, because I grew up going to the best fair, ever - The Ventura County (CA) Fair. Our county used to be the largest agricultural producer per capita, so going to the fair meant lots of animals, amazing food and agricultural displays, tons of food and commercial vendors and plenty of free entertainment. It's right on the coastline so you're feeling the sea breeze while you're there. I used to enter sewing, knitting, and ceramic pieces every year, and I've got my share of ribbons!

I've been to many different state and county fairs since, and the only one that's come close in comparison is the Montgomery County (MD) fair. Last year I was bummed because we went opening day and they had no exhibits open - they had just started judging everything! Talk about a disappointment. It's going on now so I may drive up one day this week for a visit.

I've never been to the Virginia State Fair, but maybe I'll go some year. Our county fair (Fairfax, VA) is a technology fair, so no food, crafting, horticultural or agricultural exhibits. Needless to say I've never been and never plan on going, either. Why bother? I'm not there for games, rides, concerts or contests. Our county 4H fair is pretty good. I love seeing all the thinks the kids make and how they're involved in everything. That's much more worthwhile, imho.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We have the Pensacola Interstate Fair. I've entered one cross stitch piece and earned a third place ribbon, but that was years ago. We haven't been for quite a few years, mostly because there is so much walking and hardly any places to sit and rest (my back doesn't like it very much). I've always loved the atmosphere, people watching, lights, sounds/music, and smells of the food. Love elephant ears, corn dogs, and candied apples.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Years ago, USA Today had a bucket list of 10 things to do in the US and the Iowa State Fair was ranked number two, ahead of Disney World and the Empire State Building! (There is even a musical about the fair.) It really is a huge fair, always hot, with mobs of people. They get some big ticket bands every year. My husband grew up on a farm so he loved visiting the animal buildings, me, not so much. @IntenseMagic i agree about the sketchy rides! Perfect term. I’ve been to the Washington state fair and it was okay, just not as big a venue as the Iowa State Fair.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I grew up going to the county fair and the Ohio State Fair every year. Auglaize County Fair was an every day occurrence for me... it is in the same town. My friends and I that lived in my neighborhood would walk there as a group. It was really awesome in those days but alas it is not quite what it used to be. I can hear the sounds from the loudspeaker from my house. It is only 1 mile as the crow flies. The July 4th festival (put on every year by the St Joseph Catholic Church) is held there as well. I can stand in my front yard and see the fireworks.

The Ohio State Fair had awesome entertainment years ago. My parents and I would go to Columbus (90 minutes away) for a weekend every year. Saw some great musical acts including James Brown, Herman's Hermits and King Family (who remembers them????). And, one year, at the motel we were staying at we saw a car used in one of James Bond movies. Got to sit in it but no picture. I haven't been there for over 20 years. Went down 3 years in a row just to see the Oak Ridge Boys. Back when I was growing up, it was always after our county fair in August. County fair was the 1st week in August. So it was always the fun thing to do before school started right after Labor Day. But, alas, that has also changed. It now starts in July and this year, ended August 4th and is only 2 weeks. It used to be 3. But, the state fair still has an AWESOME BUTTER STATUE each year. This year's was a tribute to the Apollo 11 crew on the 50th anniversary of the moon walk. I found a newspaper clipping from 1969 that said the butter statue that year was also in honor of Apollo 11.

My favorite fair food was always the french fries soaked in vinegar. The really stringy, real potato fries. And, I always had to get a bag of fresh roasted peanuts to take with me when I left. My former co-workers would always send someone to the fair to get the pork sandwiches at least once during fair week. One guy had a weekly pass since his kids were in 4-H so he usually did it and he was in a position where he was out visiting customers during the day anyways.

Fairs were great when I was younger but not something I'm interested in these days.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Ah, here in NC our State Fair is not until mid-October, but your post reminds me that I need to go register some entries. The last two years I have entered a Digital scrapbooking page and a set of ATC. The first year I won a First for the page and a Second for the ATC. Got the same for the ATC last year, but only got 4th for the page. I know why - they only really look at the journalling and not the page design at all. I scrapped a page about that and I might just enter it - but probably won't.

We usually go on opening day as they have ride specials but now that the DD is grown up and in college, we will probably skip the rides. They do the judging before the fair opens so everything is usually open that first day. I love seeing all the crafts and the largest veggies and cute animals. I also like looking at the artwork. And the food...

IntenseMagic likes this.
  12. BevG

And yeah!!! Our State Fair has finally gotten with the times. I can now submit a digital page in any of the topic categories for scrapping. There is no limit either. Woot! Now to decide which pages to enter.

13. IntenseMagic

I feel the same about the hot and sticky! I love rides at amusement parks but never really liked the ones at fairs.

Yep, same old thing every year. That's the main reason we haven't been in so long. There are just other things I find more entertaining for the money.

It was a big deal when I was younger, too. I prefer the more local ones these days.

My kid really doesn't have any interest either, which works for me. It was a big deal a few years ago when the schools here started opening before the fair, parents complained a lot. But definitely times have changed.

It would be great to have the in on on the rides! My grown kids take their own kids now to see the animals and my youngest is over it lol. But now I want a corndog!

The Ventura County Fair sounds so nice!! How awesome that you have those ribbons! I don't think I would be as interested in a technology fair, but I get why it would be like that in Fairfax. Ours is more agriculturally based with lots of animals, rodeos, tractor pulls, 4H exhibits, etc. My kids loved it when they were little.

They sure do involve a lot of walking, I can see where that would be difficult for you. I do enjoy the atmosphere, especially the people watching. And now I want a corndog and a candied apple!

That is so cool about the Iowa State Fair! I wish we could get some big ticket bands here, I might go back lol. My husband enjoys the animals much more than I do as well. He also grew up on a farm.

Times have sure changed haven't they. I can remember walking to and doing all the things in my younger days.
    A butter statue? I would assume it's in an air conditioned building?

I remember you talking about the digital pages in the fair. I think that's so cool! I looked to see how our scrapbook category works and our entries have to be an entire book, no single pages. And then one day there is a 20 minute challenge with supplies provided. Nothing about digital at all.

14. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I/We will sometimes take the kids during the day when the carnival rides are closed. We'll walk around, eat, people watch and sweat our arses off. Our fair is the beginning of October but we're in California so it's still super hot in October. I've never put my kids on the rides. I mean, they put them up and take them down in a matter of hours. I grew up riding them though. Ha!

Our fair used to have some really good concerts, too. I haven't been to one there in years though. Matt and I saw Kenny Chesney when he was first starting. We had VIP tickets and he even signed my camera. He was signing hats and whatnot and we didn't have anything so I handed him my camera. He was likes really? I don't know what happened to that camera. This year's concerts include Keith Sweat, Paul Anka, Tower of Power, Ice Cube and Willy Nelson. I won't be going to any of those. :giggle

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. HavaDrPepper

A short video showing the statues. Lots more on YouTube with interviews about them.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. IntenseMagic

I never put my kids on the rides either. My ex used to when he would take them and I just tried not to think about it haha.
    I've seen Lynyrd Skynyrd 3 times at the fair and Travis Tritt back in the day. We used to get big names like Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Reba McEntire. This year it's Lorrie Morgan, Cole Swindell, Alabama, and Jeff Foxworthy. I've seen Alabama, so I'm good :giggle

17. IntenseMagic

That is so cool!! I'm going to check out more of the videos!

18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I do like to go to our local county fair, but it's so expensive these days! It costs $10-15 per person to get in and then the kids want to do the wrist bands and then of course we have to eat fair food since we are there! We end up spending over $100 for an evening at the fair. Ugh. We just went to Cedar Point on Thursday and Friday and our local fair starts today, so I think we will skip it this year.

IntenseMagic and QuiltyMom like this.
  19. BevG

Ah butter sculptures. We have one at our fair inside an air conditioned enclosure. I need to hunt it down this year.

We used to have better know musicians at the fair, but now they have switched to "homegrown" entertainment, i.e. groups from around the state. So we skip that.

We have watched the clogging competitions because we have friends that dance in it. Some of the side shows of acrobats, juggling, etc. are fun and cool to watch. We also have racing pigs and their friends some ducks. They race for cheese doodles and different parts of the audience cheer for each contestant. They have names like Piggy Gordon and Oinkhardt Jr. Silly but fun.

IntenseMagic and QuiltyMom like this.
  20. HavaDrPepper

@BevG

Pig races are hilarious. I always enjoyed seeing stuff like that at the state fair. The small entertainment areas were also fun to check out. One of the last times I went there was a whole area dedicated to sand sculptures. I have the pictures scanned and in some of them, they were still doing the sculpting. 1989 was the year.

The county fair is pretty much local, home grown entertainment although none of it is in the grandstand. Big draw is the Gospel Music Tent. Harness racing is a couple nights, demolition derby another night and the last night is a tractor pull. I just found the schedule for this year and they also have a cheerleading competition, a pony pull and bull riding as grandstand entertainment as well. Used to be 5 nights of harness racing... glad to see they have changed it up!

IntenseMagic and BevG like this.