On a spending freeze

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jul 21, 2019.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Potentially some things could change in the scrapping department in the next 6 weeks or so. Looks like I’m going to have to go on a scrappy spending freeze for up to 12 months (hoping only 2-3 months once I’ve done a budget and everything settles down but most likely the full 12) if all goes to plan (a 12 month fixed term contract with about $10-12000 less salary than I’d truly want - have to go for the risk after getting another no on the job front last week). At the moment I probably shop on average of every 2-4 weeks I’d say so it’s potentially a big change.

If you were in this situation how would you
    a) scrap 100% from your stash
    b) not be tempted by new releases and sales

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I’d unsubscribe from the newsletters for a while and stop following them
    On social media. Follow when you have extra cash.

3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I totally have enough stash - I'd only use what I have.

cfile likes this.
  4. littlekiwi

I probably have enough stash too, it’s just I’m easily tempted by a good sale and pretty things.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Yes, I know what you mean. LOL

6. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

If you're tempted by some new releases, make it a personal challenge to find something similar that you already own. (I'm going to take my own advice here too haha) Make it fun! I always love the scrap your stash challenges because it helps me remember what I already have and never use!

littlekiwi likes this.
  7. littlekiwi

Great idea, I probably should do that more anyway even if it wasn’t for financial reasons, I’m just a hoarder of pretty things!

cfile and umyesh like this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Did I miss something? So this means you've been offered a 12 mth contract somewhere? That's wonderful even if not at the level you wanted

Re: stash busting - you know you will at least get new templates each month for free with the TLP template challenge & with some of the designers monthly challenges. (And there's also freebie mega kits with bloghops at various times so if you can stay subscribed to something so you don't miss them ). Depending on your normal level of organisation, I'd go window shopping through your stash & put some of your fave, eye catching unused kits in a 'use next'folder, or grab two or 3 kits that look like they'd mix & match well & copy them into a new folder & start aiming to get double pages at least from them, if that makes sense?

cfile and littlekiwi like this.
  9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I definitely could survive on my stash for sure, but I totally understand being tempted by all the new and pretty things. I would struggle seeing the newsletter and trying to behave myself. Lol, but also you could just vow to only download freebies during that time and let that be your only new items while on a freeze and then use stuff from your stash to go with any new freebies you download.

littlekiwi likes this.
  10. littlekiwi

Wish I could say you’ve missed something but you haven’t - just another job application that I’m ever hopeful will turn into an interview and a job offer.

11. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Honestly, what scrapping I have done for the last year or so has been from my stash. The only thing that I have to buy are Liz's state templates. I want all of those! I will admit to picking up a few kits during the LOD sales in February though.

I am seeing that so many of the releases are for things that I have no use for or I already have multiple kits for the subject.

With scrapping from the stash I am being more creative as I've also used kits for purposes other than their intended purpose. For instance, I did a series of layouts in December about a major fire of a historical building in my town. The kit I used... "At The Fair" by Kristin Aagard! The paper colors were the ones I wanted. I did use a couple elements from her "Great Balls of Fire" that matched the colors.

I agree with getting the freebies available during that time if you want shiny and new. Also, use any opportunities to earn discounts and then get 1 new item to satisfy that shopping need to have. Take advantage of doing the challenges. 30% off can help you get at least 1 new to you kit.

littlekiwi likes this.
  12. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I could "live" on my stash for the rest of my life if I had to (& have plenty left over to support a dozen friends!).

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  13. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I have spent very little this year and used my stash almost exclusively. I am only subscribed to the newsletters of those designers that are my absolute favorites. Sometimes other designers make such gorgeous things... and while they are beautiful they are not my style. If I buy, it often sits unused. By only subscribing to the designers whose products I use again and again, it helps cut down on spending for products I won’t use as much.

If you really love new and shiny, keep your eye out for CT calls. Then you can continue to get new products to work with without spending money- instead trading time to create for and promote that designer.

Mark your calendar for when certain free blog trains happen. Some happen bi-monthly, monthly, or quarterly. There are usually multiple great ones in October for NSD as well. Lots of stuff you can grab for free that will all be coordinated.

When I started I literally owned TWO kits for several months and that is it- Project Mouse Basics 2 and Project Mouse Beginnings. I created SO MANY pages that look nothing alike with just those two kits. I stretched and used things in creative ways to keep it fresh and I learned a lot by doing this.

littlekiwi and HavaDrPepper like this.
  14. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I would organize your stash so you refresh your memory of what you do have. That's almost like shopping! :)

busywoman139, cfile and littlekiwi like this.
  15. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Participate too in the slow and speed scraps to win the coupons so that you could get some coupons for some new goodies (or new to you) while in your freeze

busywoman139 likes this.
  16. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Like others, I suggest checking out freebies and blog hops, and also doing challenges and speed/slow scraps. Those coupons usually don't have a minimum order requirement so you can shop but not spend any actual money. Then you can make a page to show off your new goodies to us! :)

Another thing to remember is that this actually might be a non-issue: Once you have a long-term/full-time position, you won't have as much time to scrap. Maybe it won't be as hard to stay away from the store because you'll be too busy. When I started substitute teaching this spring, it was such a catch-22 because I had a little extra spending money but I didn't have as much time to scrap or shop! And maybe you'll want to spend your more limited scrapping time actually scrapping instead of browsing the store. BUT, if you still want to look at all the beautiful goodies in the store (and who doesn't?), don't forget about your wish list! Fill it up so you have items per-determined for when you have a little spending money (or a coupon).

littlekiwi likes this.
  17. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Some great suggestions here. I, too, could live out of my stash but don't. One thing I do when I want to not spend any money is to attend every chat I can including the speed & slow scraps. Then I use the $3 coupon to get an item in that designer's store that costs no more than that. Especially if you can wait to use the coupon on SOSN, you can pick up some new goodies that way -- not always a full kit but elements, word art, paint and alphas can often be found for less.

Good luck with the job and know that many of us here are cheering for you!

littlekiwi likes this.
  18. littlekiwi

unfortunately 95% of the time that won’t be possible due to working (hopefully) when they are on. Currently can do the evening ones most of the time now because they are mid afternoon for me

19. littlekiwi

@Tree City - oh time will be way more limited for sure once i’m working and I know that already. Hopefully the temptation of spending won’t be there as much but you never know.

Tree City likes this.
  20. littlekiwi

@flowersgal, no job yet, it’s just planning for the eventuality of this position if it comes to fruition