Cicadas...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Pachimac, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

This question was prompted by the weather thread, and it got me thinking about my trip to Greece, and the Cicadas!! How do you live with them?? I was in Greece in 2010 and my head was absolutely buzzing and I thought I was gonna go nuts with the sound. When we got back on the cruise ship, my ears were actually ringing from them.

Do you just get used to them?? I know places in America have them too. I just can't imagine having to live in that sound day in and day out all summer long!

2. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Where I live, there aren't many trees left, so we don't get to hear them often. Actually, I don't think I've heard them this summer so far. I don't mind them, at some point I don't even notice. Unless they are on our balcony: it happened once and it was really, I mean REALLY, loud.

3. Pachimac

Wow. We must have been there on a 17 year cycle of them. LOL Now that you say that about the trees though, I can see that. Crete had a TON of Cypress trees around the Palace.

4. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

We've a few more years for the large swarm of 17 year cicadas. We had a few a while back, but it wasn't too bad. The swarm is the worst and you just have to live with it because they're everywhere. They're everywhere and the sound permeates everything. I had one land on the underside of my hat and it's "siren" was so loud I thought a firetruck was behind me. I don't remember them lasting all summer but I can forget about these things.

5. LynnG

LynnG Designer

They can get really loud here too - especially when there is a "brood year". But you just sort of adjust and your brain tunes them out. I love it, it's the sound of summer here.

DD loves them too

(To the Point album)

20160904_2013_cicada.jpg 20160904_2013_cicada2.jpg

6. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

It is not quiet here in the south of the USA. Cicadas are everywhere, especially at night, and then add the tree frogs, and so noisy. Fortunately, the 17 year ones really only come out every 17 years or so. When they hatched out several years ago, only parts of the city had them. They were so loud that you could hear them driving down the street, during the day. It sounded like an alien invasion.

7. Pachimac

I guess we can get used to anything, eh?

QuiltyMom likes this.
  8. Pachimac

Those are really cute pages!! I would never think of scrapping those - what a great idea!

LynnG likes this.
  9. Pachimac

Yikes!!!!

10. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

We don't have those here but we do have crickets that are noisy. For some reason they are all over the place right now. They were even chirping inside the grocery store this morning. I could not sleep last night because they would not shut up. My Fitbit says I got 4 hours of sleep. :groan

11. Pachimac

One night I was spending the weekend with my cousin, and a cricket was between the walls. We did not sleep a WINK that night. I can relate!

12. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

This thread caught my attention.... I hear a noise like cicadas every night when I go to bed as I have Tinnitus ( ringing in the ears)

13. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

My daughter was just in Italy for 10 months and there were cicadas there...we just got back from visiting her and they were SOOOO loud!! We didn't hear them inside with the windows closed, but she said that she just got used to them.

14. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

The first year we moved into our current house, the cicardas were so loud that even talking on the phone was impossible... one of my husnband's work friends moved out of our suburb beacuse they drove him insane... I am a bit worried we killed ours off when we rebuilt our house but they are all over our part of town so we always get a few.

We haven't had it quite that loud in years, we are overdue I think. I love them, they are the true sound of summer for me.

15. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

It's the sound of late summer for me :-) You wouldn't think we would have that many here in the city (Chicago), but we do. I love the sound of them when out for a walk... but very thankful for good windows and A/C to drown them out when we sleep :giggle

16. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We have cicadas here in Northwest Florida, but not the 17 year variety. They are quite loud in the dusk and evening hours. We also have crickets chirping, squirrels chattering, and lots of different bird sounds.

It's so hot that I basically hibernate during the summer, so the noise doesn't really bother me. I'm sure if we had to have the windows open, it might bother me . . . although I think I'd be more disturbed by the heat. Like a wet blanket!