Musical Instruments | Pad Patter 6.30

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 30, 2019.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

My DH can play guitar and my youngest took a guitar class this past year in school, so he is learning. They have a bass and electric guitar, so it gets a bit loud around here sometimes. Chance can also play drums/percussion a little from being in band for a couple of years.
    Me? No. I have no musical talent at all. I have tried. I'm awful. The closest I've come to anything musical was Guitar Hero :giggle.

What about you and your family? Musical talent? I know that some of you have some pretty gifted musicians in your family :)

2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My granddaughters played the banjo and guitar for awhile, but I think they've lost interest. I took piano lessons as a kid and hated every minute of it. I do well to find Middle C now. Asher thought he wanted to play piano, but those lessons didn't work out so well. He plays video games like a pro. Does that count?

We all "try" to sing we love to sing along with our favorite songs - old ones and new ones and many different genres. We're not very good, but we have fun. My parents were part of a semi-professional vocal group and performed a lot in churches all over - they traveled quite a bit at one time. None of us inherited their voices. LOL

IntenseMagic and Angela Toucan like this.
  3. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I used to play all the different recorders, and have some basic flute & piano. Music isn't my forte. I am however surrounded by live music at home.
    My husband plays Piano, Clarinet, and Drums. He's also learning chorus guitar
    My eldest (TJ Toucanette) plays flute, piccolo, piano, steel drums and is starting out on the guitar.
    My son plays trombone and the steel drums. He played violin for a couple of years until he was big enough to move onto brass.
    My youngest (Joy Toucanette) plays the violin and is starting out on the piano.

The children's orchestra are performing at the National Finals for the National Youth Music Festival on Saturday.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. IntenseMagic

We all sing, too, but not very well...it's fun! And if you ask my 14 year old, yes, video games count :giggle

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  5. IntenseMagic

I knew you had quite the musical family! Wishing the the best of luck at the Finals!!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  6. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I began playing flute in 6th grade and kept that up through the beginning of high school. However, so many girls play flute and I don’t like being like other people. So I started playing something no one else did- bassoon. I actually loved it and sometimes wish I still played. I participated in a community orchestra in addition to several school bands. I auditioned for the school of music at college on bassoon and was accepted. However in the end I became a teacher. I also played trombone in marching band. I took that up because my husband played trombone and I wanted to spend more time with him. I played baritone in the lower band at school to help out at times. It had the same mouthpiece as a trombone so it wasn’t a lot extra to learn.

Bassoon was always my favorite.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. IntenseMagic

Very cool!! You should totally play again! I played the flute in 6th grade as well. In high school I was in the color guard in the band, and my senior year they decided that all color guard members had to play during concert season. I picked up the flute again after all those years and did my best. I will admit that there were lots of times I wiggled my fingers haha. I could play my tuning note and that was the only one I was required to do solo.

8. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I played piano when I was younger and even taught to earn money for university. I can barely play now - I've had both wrists done for carpal tunnel.

My oldest plays euphonium in concert band, valve trombone in jazz band, bass guitar in worship band, and sings in the choir. He also takes private singing lessons which he really enjoys.

My youngest plays the tuba in concert band (he wanted the largest instrument!). :)

Wow, what an amazing accomplishment - good luck at the nationals!

9. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I played handbells with my church from second through twelfth grades. I haven't played since but I got to the point where I could play four-in-hand (two bells in each hand). You know the melody of "Carol of the Bells?" It's comprised of C, D, and E which were 3 of my 4 bells so I got to "star" in the handbell choir's version during the Christmas Eve service one year when I was in HS.

I played flute through school from fifth through eighth grades. I was okay. I quit when I got to HS and all my best friends signed up for Marching Band and I did not.

My sister played violin for a few years growing up & my nephew now plays cello but no one in the family is any kind of musical virtuoso.

My daughter, who is almost 10, is completely uninterested in learning to play anything. My son, who is 5, has told me that I need to take him to "see a rock star" (go to a concert) and has expressed interest in learning how to play guitar so we'll see how that works out. He has the memory & the patience to be really good at playing if he put his mind to it.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Interesting stories!
    I took two years of piano in grade school, followed by one year with the flute in 6th grade "band". I stunk at BOTH!! It was not good, lol!!!
    [​IMG]
    I can play the radio! :giggle Singing is my gift, not being a musician. Hubster & son are the musicians in the family. It's been good to get to be on Worship teams together. :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

No instruments. I love to sing although I'm not very good at it. But the Bible says to make a joyful noise, so I'm trying! LOL

12. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Can't sing worth a darn so I avoid it out in public.

I took piano lessons from my great-aunt for 5 or 6 years. I was in Rainbow girls in junior high and spent 1 year at the position of Musician... aka playing the piano for the songs that were sung. Luckily they weren't hard musically. I kept playing for my own enjoyment during high school and college but got away from it when I lived away from home for 10 years. The piano I learned on is still in the living room but now it is mostly a backdrop for any cute doggy pictures. My previous 2 dogs learned to sit on the bench and smile for me :) Current dog is learning to do it as well!

I played clarinet from 6th to 12th grades in concert band. We were an all brass marching band so for my 3 years of marching band (our school only had 3 grades in high school at that time), I played alto sax one year and baritone the last 2 years. Graduation ended my career with any sort of instrument. I was OK but not great at playing them. But those years gave me some of my best high school memories.

At one time I could play "Stairway to Heaven" 80% from memory. Played that song all the time and I still have the sheet music!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

My oldest (11th grade) plays tenor saxophone in marching band and alto saxophone in his day band. He teaches guitar (electric, acoustic and bass), saxophone, and ukelele at the local music studio.

My middle (8th grade) plays clarinet in day band, bass drum in marching band, and has had lessons in drum kit and snare drum (she stopped those earlier this year.)

My youngest (5th grade) plans to play trumpet next year (although that selection doesn't occur until next spring) in day band, has not offered up whether or not he will do marching band (also far into the future), and has had lessons in piano until about a year ago when his piano teacher retired. He is currently taking electric guitar lessons from his brother's previous guitar teacher.

Both of the older kids have been in rock bands directed by the music studio (neither are in one now) and the younger is thinking about joining one; he's been playing guitar for less than a year, but his teacher thinks he is ready.

I was in choir in high school and had some piano. I signed up for piano lessons this spring, but was never able to make time to practice at home, so I am taking a break from them over summer while the kids are home. Maybe I'll start back up in the fall when they're back in school. My husband was in band and marching band in high school (trumpet) and took guitar lessons for a short time while we were in college, but neither of us are anywhere near the level of our kids.

14. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

My son did the guitar and drums in high school. He played the snare in the high school marching band and also did jazz band. He used to rock the house with his drum set back in the day! He sold it, but sometimes wishes he hadn't. He played his cousin's set at Thanksgiving and was missing his. Maybe someday when he's finished with college and has a place of his own he'll get another set.

I took piano lessons when I was younger but never got too far. All of my kids took piano, but piano teachers moved and their interest faded so none of them play much either. We sold our piano a few years ago. Too bad because my future DIL, knows how to play the piano and we could have given it to her when they got a big enough place. Both of her parents know how to play and her mom teaches piano lessons. Too bad they live in Texas, or I might try again.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

The kids both took lessons for awhile in school. My son - the trombone - but it didn't last long. My daughter did the Violin for a few years and then took guitar lessons privately for 2 years. Not super musically inclined here.

I'm like you Jan - no talent at all. I can't even identify notes let alone read notes. :giggle But I love to listen to music.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Ohhhh...we love musical instruments over here.

I've played piano since 2nd grade. Loved it growing up. I took lessons up through college and even have taught on and off through the years. My hubby plays drums, guitar, bass, banjo, mandolin, ukulele, and can dabble on the piano. We both lead worship at our church 2x a month.

Right now 4 of my kids take piano lessons. My 16 year old can play piano, guitar, bass, mandolin, she's learning drums, and ukulele. My 14 year old can play all of the above (except drums) and she also sings quite well (she started private voice lessons this past year). My 12 year old plays piano and violin (she's the only one who takes violin lessons). My 10 and 8 year old play piano.

I credit our private piano tutor and then my husband for all of their musical talents (he teaches them all the other instruments). I just make sure they practice and enjoy listening to them play.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. IntenseMagic

My son almost chose tuba but settled on percussion instead. I've always wished I could play piano, and tried, but I just can't do it lol

18. IntenseMagic

I played handbells in church when I was younger, but I was never that good at it. I love to listen to them and Carol of the Bells is my favorite! Neither of my oldest had much interest in playing anything either. I think they have my musical ability haha

19. IntenseMagic

Hahaha Yep, that's the extent of my ability...playing the radio :) At least you can sing, I'm not so good at that either, but I like doing it anyway!

20. IntenseMagic

I love to sing, too and I'm not very good at it either, but I love that way to look at it! I will continue to make my joyful noises every chance I get!

gonewiththewind likes this.