Purge | Pad Patter 6.23

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 23, 2019.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I really need to talk to her about coming to her house and taking photos of lots of things, talking about the stories, and writing them down. I think that may help her. Thank you for sharing that! My mother's house is just over 2500 sq ft and it is full! My sister and I both live in houses that are under 1500 sq ft., and our grown kids live in smaller places than that, so none of us have the space to take all the things she doesn't want to part with. It is really hard. My son and daughter both offered to trade homes with her and told her they would take care of her things :giggle

QuiltyMom likes this.
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

We are the worst at saving stuff just in case we need it again. :giggle I am currently setting up for a garage sale mostly so I could purge a bunch of stuff from my house, but then it turned into a garage sale to raise money for our church and a bunch of generous people donated stuff to sell at my garage sale and now I don't have room to purge my own stuff. Ugh! Lol! I'm going to fill my stuff in as things sell this weekend and then the rest will have to go to a resell shop or Goodwill. We definitely need a HUGE purge at our house. I really want to do one room at a time like you did Jan, but I haven't seemed to get started on it yet.

3. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

It's too bad we all don't live closer to each other, because it's so much easier to sort and purge when someone else is there to help say "toss" or "stay"!

4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I started this over 2 years ago when I was going to remodel my kitchen and bathroom. I was having new flooring put in at the same time so that meant I needed to empty items in the living room as well. A few months later I had flooring put in the 2 bedrooms and my office so the purging continued.

Last summer was the basement and garage. Once the flooring was complete I started on the basement. A lot of stuff was recycled or is in the shredding pile in the garage. I have been waiting for warmer, no rain days to go sit out there and work on that. I had the dumpster in August for the big stuff. A lot of stuff was put out in garbage as well.

My parents built this house in the mid-60's and they were pack rats so there was a LOT of their stuff in the basement as well. I found stuff from Dad's Navy years (1948-1952) that I'm guessing he forgot he had down there. That case also had letters Mom had written to Dad when she was on a 3 week trip with her parents just a couple months before their wedding. Things like that I have kept or scanned. I also took pictures of things and wrote down the story so I can scrap them when I get my scrapping mojo back. I found a book that belonged to my grandma's sister... guessing my grandma got it and then my mom. I gave it to the sister's granddaughter. She was a librarian and has a nice book collection that it is now a part of.

I am now of the mindset that I do not bring anything into this house. I see cute decorations and curb the impulse and do not buy. My new motto is "Less is More". Now that I'm almost 2 years into retirement and I know more of what type of clothes I wear constantly, I should go through my closets again. I have gotten rid of so many clothes over the last 5 years that the closets have space in them so it can wait until next fall/winter.

5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

What a plan! :yesss Now if I could just make our garage disappear. Oh wait, then I couldn't park my car in there. There IS enough room for that. Plan B coming up.

6. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Oh, I would love to do this in our garage. He replaces things in rental properties and then can't bear to throw them out. Seriously, if it is bad enough to not continue in a rental, why keep it?

7. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

We have gone through several small purges lately... but it's time to get serious. We are planning to downsize once Clara goes off to college next year and I don't want to move stuff I don't have to move. Plus this move will probably be to a high rise building which means storage is a locker in the basement. I know once it's that far removed from my daily life, I'm going to forget it even exists, so why keep it. Pare everything down (except holiday decorations) to what can be stored in our unit and get rid of the rest!

8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

ugh! we're doing this at the moment - the kids toys from several years back are being culled again and it's kind of emotionally difficult even for me to say goodbye to them but i know it will be freeing when they're gone

SeattleSheri likes this.
  9. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Last week I spent the whole week organizing/purging different areas of our house. I do stay on top of things for the most part but I like to take one week during the summer to really clean and go through things I don't normally do during the regular school year. I organized my pantry, the kids closets, purged toys, garage and fridge and freezer!

IntenseMagic, SeattleSheri and BevG like this.
  10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We are constantly purging in our household. I've always done it, so Jay, Olivia, and Daniel now do it as well. Hmmm, well, Daniel takes a bit of prodding to get started, but of the four of us, he's the most brutal about letting things go. He has a HUGE Lego collection, and that never gets touched. But other things, he's very quick to say keep or go.

My rule is mostly to get rid of two things for every new thing that comes into the house. It's easier to follow this method if you have a bin or basket to pop those things in to take to the Goodwill or other donation centers for resell. And I'm not always great at doing it.

IntenseMagic and SeattleSheri like this.
  11. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

Oh how I love a good purge! Nothing like cleaning out that Kitchen Junk Drawer or the dresser drawers. I purge probably every 6 months and love how that makes you feel less overwhelmed. I like everything to have its place but am not always good at keep it that way. I think that comes from years as a Visual Merchandiser what happens at work stays at work, but when I do sort my clothes and tidy up office supplies into their own little compartments it truly makes my heart sing and so much easier to see what needs replenishing if at all.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Lisa B, IntenseMagic and SeattleSheri like this.
  12. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I love to get rid of things! The rest of my family does not.

I just went through all the kids' books since they're not here this week and donated all the ones that were too young for them, not their favorite, etc. The rest that were trashed or missing pages got chucked in the trash. The bookshelves look so nice now!

IntenseMagic and BevG like this.
  13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

So here is a little update from me. Lots of work yet to go...
    Left pic: before, Center: after 7 hours of work, and right pic: the boxes to be donated - not shown are the bags of trash. After I had worked 4 hours or so, the daughter tells me that she wanted to keep some of that stuff. So all those boxes to donate had a second go-through. Sigh.

I also decided to clean out the storage areas under the eaves on either side of the window. Lots of roach poo in there and many things we have not seen for the past 10, 15, or even 20 years. declutter progress.jpg

Tree City, SeattleSheri and KimJ like this.
  14. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Wow, @BevG! That's impressive and inspiring!

15. IntenseMagic

Whoa @BevG!! Great progress!! It's got to be a great feeling!

16. IntenseMagic

I have a ton of books that I need to donate. I haven't tackled that one yet!

17. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I like the idea of purging, but I don't know where to send the things I'm purging. LOL

That's where I am right now; I want to throw out a ton of stuff but my husband wants me to box it up to donate. I don't want to go through that extra care and work for stuff that I expect will just get thrown away / separated at the end. So right now, we don't do anything. I'll give in eventually -- it's my first project for this summer -- but I'm not happy about it. I will just have to remind myself that it fits my ultimate goal, to clean out the basement, and I can make *him* deal with removing all those giant boxes. (And while he's at it, he can take care of all those other boxes I purged into in past yeasrs that never made it out the door. It's really tempting to just throw away a little every week and see if he notices. :P If only some of those toys weren't so big!)

18. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I found out last summer that there is an organization in a neighboring city that takes books. They then have a book sale and all monies made are for college scholarships for high school girls or middle school girls for math/science camps. It is put on by AAUW and they collect books in June and July then have a book fair in late August/early September.

19. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

We are constantly purging a little at a time. Right now, I'm doing an ebay blast with American Girl doll stuff. We are on the quest to really reduce, and just when I think we've done well, a new place looks cluttery! I think it's a task that is never ending, and I think that's okay. We have been carrying a life time of momentos and things, and slowly, when we are ready to give them up, they go. It's amazing to donate/sell/throw away stuff that you've been holding onto for years and realize that you don't need them anymore.

20. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I have a funny story about moving. Back in 2012, we had to move from California to Nevada. Too long of a story to go into, but we were SOOO TIRED from packing up a 2500 sq foot house and it was getting really late at night. We sealed up the last few boxes and passed out. Fast forward to 2013 when we finally moved into a rental, we emptied our storage unit and filled our garage with stuff. As we unpacked each box, we brought what we needed into the house, broke down the box to pass down on Craigs List, and then on to the next box. I opened a box labeled "Kitchen" and inside was our trash, broken hangers, and used Bounce dryer sheets. Apparently I was so tired, I packaged up our trash!!!!

KimJ likes this.