that's not my name | Pad Patter 21 June

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Jun 21, 2019.

1. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

1. Do you like the name you are known by ? Is it different to the name on your birth certificate?
    I am known by my full name... Anne-Marie now I am an adult when I was a teenager I often was called "Anne" which I did not really like so I was so pleased when I left school and started working that my co-workers called me by my full name.
    2a. Do you have a name that is easily pronounced or spelled/spelt wrong?
    It is spelt wrong at times but only slightly wrong. My spelling is actually a French Surname so I found out only in recent years.
    2b. Do you bother correcting people anymore?
    No correctly unless it is for something important.
    3. Have you ever given a different name at coffee shops or pizza places, anywhere you might collect an order?
    Not really but when with my husband I just use his name for these sorts of things.
    4. Have you ever changed your name (first or last names? marriage included and were you happy to change it?) or would you, and is there a name you'd prefer?
    My Maiden name was Steele which changed to Richardson when I married my Ken. My daughter ( I was a single mother - never married) was nearly 9 when I married Ken and while we were on our honeymoon she changed all her school books to be the Richardson instead of Steele.

BevG likes this.
  2. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Friends call me Jess. I like when people call me Jess, cuz it usually means they know me. My full name is the same I was born with. Funny thing though, maybe not exactly as meant. My middle name is Brea. I'm named after one of my mom's patients. My mom meant it to be pronounced "Bray". But seriously mom, that's what a donkey does! It turns out the girl's name was actually pronounced "Bree", like brie cheese. I pronounce it "Bray-uh" like the La Brea tarpits. My mom accepts that, especially after the donkey reference.

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

1. Do you like the name you are known by ? Is it different to the name on your birth certificate? I do like my name. I really liked it in high school because I was the only one until my senior year. I do find it funny that now "Karen's" are the meme worthy annoying friends. :giggle

2. Do you have a name that is easily pronounced or spelled/spelt wrong? My name is super easy and people almost always get it right. Once in a great while they'll put Carrie instead, but usually they just mis-heard me.

3. Have you ever given a different name at coffee shops or pizza places, anywhere you might collect an order? Nope.

4. Have you ever changed your name (first or last names? marriage included and were you happy to change it?) or would you, and is there a name you'd prefer? Yep, I changed my last name when we got married 17 years ago and I was happy to.

4. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

1. Do you like the name you are known by ? Is it different to the name on your birth certificate? I do like my name but its funny I’ve only ever been Em or Emmy all my life. If I hear Emma or read Emma I feel like I’m in trouble because thats the only time I have ever been addressed by my proper name :)

2. Do you have a name that is easily pronounced or spelled/spelt wrong? My surname Stafrace is often pronounced incorrectly or misspelled. We Get STARFACE, STRAFACE, STRAFRACE or SCARFACE no joke! Even my hubby Daniel Ricardo has received a letter address to DR Scarface, I tell no lie! It’s interesting though, if I introduce myself in the Maltese pronunciation STAF-RA-CHI everyone gets it right.

3. Have you ever given a different name at coffee shops or pizza places, anywhere you might collect an order? No never because Em is easy to remember :)

4. Have you ever changed your name (first or last names? marriage included and were you happy to change it?) or would you, and is there a name you'd prefer? Yep, my last name when I married Dan. My son is the only boy from the Stafrace side of our family to carry on the name too so hopefully he has boys himself to continue in our family tree.

5. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

1. Do you like the name you are known by ? Is it different to the name on your birth certificate? I wanted to be Susie when I was little - no idea why but much prefer Karen now. Mum chose it because she thought it would be a bit unique - and I ended up with 3 other Karen's in my high school classes and two were my closest friends so bit of a fail there - we were all just known by our last names, even by the teachers...and like @Karen I always laugh at the memes that are less than complimentary to Karen's everywhere

2. Do you have a name that is easily pronounced or spelled/spelt wrong? Our last name causes issues - a silent W at the start of Wray so we get Ray all the time - we generally spell it before we say it.

3. Have you ever given a different name at coffee shops or pizza places, anywhere you might collect an order? no, Karen is pretty easy

4. Have you ever changed your name (first or last names? marriage included and were you happy to change it?) or would you, and is there a name you'd prefer? I changed my last name when I got married but I don't think I would if I had to make that choice again. Not that I dislike my married name but I feel like my maiden name was also very important to me. Although - for the Australian's out there - my last name was very similar to a very prominent convicted drug smuggler who was jailed in Bali and my brother's copped it all the time - are you related to Chappelle? Esp bad for my policemen brother :giggle so glad I missed that bit of attention!

Karen likes this.
  6. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

1. Do you like the name you are known by ? It's ok.
    Is it different to the name on your birth certificate? No.
    Surname is awfully mispronounced and OFTEN! It is Kuykendall ( Keye-ken-doll) Worst pronouciation ever was "Kay-you-key-dall". :cornfused
    2b. Do you bother correcting people anymore? Yes.
    3. Have you ever given a different name at coffee shops or pizza places, anywhere you might collect an order?
    Yes. Hubster often gives his first name instead!
    4. Have you ever changed your name (first or last names? marriage included and were you happy to change it?) or would you, and is there a name you'd prefer?

Strang (English) to Kuykendall (Dutch). I'd rather have his birth surname: Riley. And I liked the name Marie when I was younger.

@BevG That is so funny about your initials- clever solution!:tu
    @mcurtt : I know I've messed up your name at least once! Sorry!!:sorry

BevG and mcurtt like this.
  7. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

1. Do you like the name you are known by? Is it different than the name on your birth certificate?
    My family calls me by my given name. Various friends call me various nicknames: LeeLee, Lala, LA, etc.

2a. Do you have a name that is easily pronounced or spelled wrong?
    My name is phonetic but most people try to make it much harder than it is. The two capital letters is actually what usually trips them up as if somehow a second capital letter suddenly makes it impossible to be phonetic? I generally go by anything that sounds remotely close to my name -- LeeAn & LeeAndrea are the most common mistake.

When I spell it for people, I spell it this way -- L-E-E-capital A-no space-N-D-R-A. Someone once asked me why I say 'no space' after 'capital A' & it's because when I say 'capital A,' the person almost always pauses in their writing and looks up at me in confusion/terror/panic so my 'no space' is reassurance that the world is still turning, up is still up and down is still down, and a name can have two capital letters without a space between.

Only if it's someone I plan on becoming friendly with or work with long-term. My email address at work is just my first name & I can't tell you how many emails I receive from members with my name misspelled! I'm not even counting the second capital letter as a misspelling since the email address is, of course, all lowercase. I get emails on the regular for "LeAndra," "Leanndra," "Leanndrea," etc. That drives me crazy but I let it go.

Always. I say my name is "Lee."

I was adopted at 4 + been married twice so I've had two maiden names & two married names.

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Absolutely!

My cousin Keri does too. Carrie is a common Canadian spelling though - all my school friends spelt it that way.

That's funny that both you and @IntenseMagic shortened it to Jan!

It's my mom's middle name, my brother's MIL name, and my niece's middle name. It feels common in my family.

How often do you say Taipei? Honestly, I love the association! I don't say Taipei that often though.

9. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

1. Do you like the name you are known by ? Is it different to the name on your birth certificate? Yes, before I started at TLP I didn't know many Amanda's so it was a bit different. Now I think Amanda's here at TLP will take over the world!
    2a. Do you have a name that is easily pronounced or spelled/spelt wrong? Its easy to spell but sometimes when I type it fast I add too many A's haha
    3. Have you ever given a different name at coffee shops or pizza places, anywhere you might collect an order? For some reason people at coffee shops hear Samantha when I say Amanda .... I have stood there for ages waiting while Samantha's coffee gets cold :giggle
    4. Have you ever changed your name (first or last names? marriage included and were you happy to change it?) or would you, and is there a name you'd prefer? When I was young I was called Mandy *sigh*. Then when I hit Year 9 at high school I decided I was too grown up to be called Mandy (plus I had an arch nemesis at high school called Mandy who made my life miserable ... probably because I shared her name (the cow)) so I stopped answering to it and now I actually get a shiver of revulsion if someone calls me Mandy .... ewwww! I also changed my surname from Keighley to Cockle when I got married ... I didn't want to, but hubby pouted and sulked and moaned about me not loving his name (and by default HIM) so I (being young and in love) changed my name. I wouldn't do it now, not because I don't love him, but because I am older and I can stand my ground better :giggle

10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

lol (i think about half of our threads end up in English variations and 'how do you actually pronounce that?') - Tie-pay (rhymes with May/Mei but i guess we'd use it more often, news about Australasia ("Ost-ra-lay-sha") and all ;-) )

bestcee likes this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i love that the font on your siggy tag so perfectly suits your name - i went to school with an Anne-Marie (although she was half Italian so was often called Anna-Maria) and the hyphen being left out was her biggest gripe from memory and especially on those 'colour in the dots' multiple choice forms, she'd sometimes get frustrated because hyphens weren't always an option. i remember thinking in the future to avoid hyphenated names for my kids and last name but i hope those forms have improved!

12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm so glad you are not a Bray now you explained about the donkey! I apologise if I have ever called you anything but Jess, my friend :hi5 (and now i want cheese...:lalala)

jesskab likes this.
  13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Being Americans and all that, the only Taipei we know is the computer version of Mahjong. The doctor's office has it listed as May, which annoys me, but at least they stopped calling her Me-eye. Of course, I also tell people it does follow the English rule: "i" before "e" except after "c" or sounded as "a" in neighbor and weigh. Or as in Mei.

p.s. Mei and I are coming to New Zealand and Australia in just a little over a year from now. Would love to meet anyone we can. We will be on a Girl Scout tour so it is fairly planned out.

bestcee and bellbird like this.
  14. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

1. Do you like the name you are known by ? Is it different to the name on your birth certificate?
    I am pretty okay with it. Desiree is on my birth certificate and I go by that sometimes. My close friends and family call me Desi, though.

I get all kinds of spellings- especially adding a Z somewhere or with a double S. I am always impressed when someone who I don’t know spells it right! I pronounce it like with a Z but sometimes it is pronounced like with an S.

2b. Do you bother correcting people anymore? I correct when my daughter’s name is pronounced wrong but usually not my own.

We do silly stuff sometimes like Yoda or Darth Vader or Cinderella.

4. Have you ever changed your name (first or last names? marriage included and were you happy to change it?) or would you, and is there a name you'd prefer? I was adopted by my step father when my mom married when I was 6 and I took his name. I changed my last name again when I married and I really like my married last name. It’s really fun!

15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I will PM you & see if we can set something up!

BevG likes this.
  16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Hold on, so mahjong is also known as Taipei?? Well there ya go! Learnt something new today!

17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Isn't it weird what people hear? I get Brittany all the time! I'm still not sure how Courtney and Brittany are the same except the last sound?

amandac likes this.
  18. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I've never gone by any other name. I also haven't considered whether I like or don't like it; I don't feel like it's that kind of a thing. I don't use it myself -- I always know when I'm talking to or about me without using it -- but everyone else does and they seem happy with it. :)

My first name is usually pronounced correctly, although every now and then I get a "Kathy". Neither of my last names (maiden and married) are pronounced correctly on sight, so I am used to correcting people on those. (My thought is they'll never get it right if I don't speak up and everybody seems to prefer being corrected on it.)

Not ever -- do people really do that? It is very rare that my name is called anywhere so it's never even occurred to me. Even when they write my name on the Starbucks cup, I'm always standing right there waiting for it, so they don't call it.

I changed my last name when I got married -- I wanted it to be easy for our future kids' friends to know what to call me. It sounds like a silly reason, now, but I'm still happy that I did it.

19. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I've never been enamored with Susan, but I'm okay with it. It's my legal name.

If anyone pronounces my name wrong, they can't be an English speaker. LOL It's pretty plain.

I DO correct people if they call me Sue. I DESPISE that nick name.

No.

I was happy to change my name from Hultin (hull-teen) to Pacillo (pa-chill-o). My maiden name was butchered regularly. The only thing that happens now is some will say Pa-see-yo if there is a Spanish influence around. I just say no, it's Italian.