I need dinner help!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by GlazeFamily3, Jun 24, 2019.

1. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

So this move has thrown dinner off in a big way. All of our stuff is in storage for two more weeks and we rented an AirBNB. It has a kitchen with the basics- pots and pans and utensils. I am trying to cook but I am realizing that I heavily rely on my crockpot and rice cooker and grill- none of which I have.

Please help me with dinner ideas that are basic- not a ton of weird pantry stuff either as I haven’t built my pantry back up and only have basic spices. Throw in a few food allergies (peanuts, melons, carrots) just as FYI.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Fry up ground meat (add s&p, garlic, onion,whatever spices you like) or shred up deli chicken. Toss with cooked veggies/rice and sprinkle cheese overtop....easy peasy!

4. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

If you cook up double the ground meat, you can use it to make sloppy joes tomorrow or tacos.

5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Like Bev, I was going to say pasta. You can dress it up (pan-cook some burger meat to add to the sauce, or some chicken, or something else LOL) or keep it simple.
    What about salads? No oven needed (unless you do the aforementioned meat cooked in a pan). Actually, meet would probably be nice because it would make it more of a Real Dinner lol and more filling.
    Or "breakfast for dinner"? My kids love that. We do pancakes and/or sausage or eggs. Or we do breakfast burritos. If you have a large enough pan, could you use it like a skillet to heat up a tortilla?
    Or perhaps you use these two weeks as a chance to explore your new state and the restaurants it offers? You don't have to eat out every night, but perhaps every few days? Whatever you do, don't worry too much. Moving is hard!

6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Sliders - with rolls, Rotisserie chicken, cheese you like, red onions, and BBQ sauce. Or, Pizza sliders with Mozzarella, tomato sauce. Bake in lasagna pan, and brush bread tops with butter and add seasonings... cover, bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

One Pan Chicken - chicken diced, favorite veggie, diced potatoes. Salad dressing packet of dry seasoning, sprinkle on. Approx 6 pats of butter - 2 on each section, and a little olive oil drizzle. Bake 45 minutes at 400.

Chicken and Rice Bowls - Perdue Chicken short cuts, lightly sauteed to crisp them a little and add more seasonings. Add rice, black beans, tomatoes, cheese, and any other topping you normally get at Chipotle.

Shrimp Tacos - Sauteed shrimp in lemon, butter and olive oil. Place on Tortillas, add cheese, broccoli/cabbage shred, salsa and whatever else you like.

7. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Chicken or shrimp enchiladas - sauté chicken with onion, peppers and mushrooms. Add some Chili seasoning. Spread enchilada sauce over bottom of 9x13;pan, then fille tortillas, roll them up and place in pan. Top with more enchilada sauce and grated cheese.

Caesar salad with chicken
    Shrimp and feta pasta
    Traditional spinach salad with bacon and hard boiled egg
    Spinach salad with strawberries, almonds, mushrooms and goat cheese (can substitute any cheese). Add sliced steak, salmon or chicken

8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

My kids and I just had french toast for dinner. :D

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Now I want french toast for dinner :)

michelepixels likes this.
  11. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Breakfast for dinner is always good!

Rotisserie chicken, roasted veggies, pasta.

12. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

Thanks for the suggestions! I went to the store tonight and picked up dinner stuff for the week. Another annoyance is the grocery stores are all different here. I have actually had a hard time finding numerous ingredients I usually purchase. I couldn’t find any rotisserie chickens, hungry jack or aunt jemima pancake mix, the lemon pepper chicken we usually get sliced in the deli, my husband’s favorite coffee, our go-to brand of eggs... ah well. I am going to try a new store next week and compare. Thanks again for the help.

13. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@GlazeFamily3 I grew up in the Midwest, spent about 5 years in the South, and now live semi-close to you. If you need help finding brands (or replacement ones), let me know. Having said that, I think you've done well for just moving! One of the most disorienting things about moving--no matter how far--is going to your new grocery store and trying to shop.

Are you Costco members? Maybe some of your "usual staples" may be available that way, and you could have them mailed to your new home.

14. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We love breakfast for dinner. We have cheesy eggs, hash browns and biscuits once a month or so. Sometimes pancakes.

michelepixels likes this.
  15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Here's another super easy meal that we've been loving lately. The recipe is on the back of the Success rice in a bag (brown rice) box. The box is red to help you find it in your new store. :agree

[​IMG]

16. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

We love rotisserie chickens. You can use them for any recipe that calls for chicken. We like to do quesadillas and salads or wraps. Check for a Sam's Club, Costco or Wal-Mart in your new town.

17. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

Cajun spiced Turkey Meat balls with couscous salad. One of our faves and so easy to do with plenty left over for lunch or school snacks the next day.