Purge | Pad Patter 6.23

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 23, 2019.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Summer here has not been ideal so far. The first week I was out of school, the highs were only in the 60's. Last week, it rained just about every day. So, I took advantage of the time and did a purge in every room of my house, a room a day. I think I ended up with somewhere between 15 and 20 30-gallon trash bags that went out of here, plus 3 bags of clothes. I still need to go through one closet, but I'm saving that for the next rainy day. I just love the feeling of a good purge. I usually do it right after school is out every year, but I didn't get it done last year and I was really feeling it weighing on me. So now I'm ready for summer heat, days on my deck and at the pool, and a lot of relaxation.

Do you regularly do a purge in your house? Are you good at getting rid of things?

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

It's funny you asked this because I spent time going through my closet today. I like to flip my hanger so they're not facing out as usual; when I wear a piece of clothing, It put it back on the rod with the hanger facing out so I know it's been worn. Then about every 6 months I go through and get rid of the clothes with hangers that haven't been switched because it means I haven't worn them. There are some exceptions (dress clothes that don't get worn often get more time than my everyday wear). And it makes purging easy because I just look at the hangers. I think I first read about this method in Real Simple magazine. It works for me.

I keep telling the kids that we are going to go through their rooms, but we haven't yet. But it needs to happen soon!

SeattleSheri and Cherylndesigns like this.
  3. IntenseMagic

I have been saying I am going to try this method for years, but I just never do. I may have to head in to my closet and give it a try.

I did my son's room last because I knew it was going to be the biggest challenge :giggle. Now he has no clothes lol

Tree City likes this.
  4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Ah, yes I started. So last year, we emptied out my oldest son's bedroom. He had been out of the house for 6+ years. We cleaned and painted it and now it is an art room for dd and me. We also have an extra TV and the gaming system in there. The husband was wishing he had a place for his paints, so this summer I am turning the bonus room which has become a junk room into an art room for him. So far I have worked a hour and half on it and it doesn't look all that different, but there are 5 boxes to go away in the hallway.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I've been doing bit by bit for a while now. We got a lot of things when my parents passed and my in-laws downsized two homes into a condo. I try to bring at least one bag of goodies to the consignment store a week, sometimes twice. I bring 12 items each time, so it does add up.

I'm a sentimental fool so it's hard to let go of things, especially since my parents are now both gone. But when I do some cleaning, I ask if I've used the item; if no, then does it have historical family importance? If no, then it's gone. I've a long way to go, but if I keep on going it'll get done over time.

IntenseMagic, SeattleSheri and BevG like this.
  6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Sigh. 24 years in this house. We have rarely purged anything. The sheer volume is so overwhelming. I really want to just get rid of everything. I actually started a list a couple of months age and made a plan to tackle the kitchen cabinets figuring they would be relatively easy, but that's as far as I got. Priorities keep shifting, energy is hard to come by, and time flies by so quickly. Currently my focus is on clearing out the breakfast area so we can get our table back in use. We piled everything out there when we emptied DD's room to paint it... 10 months ago. :rolleyes:

We are making progress but it's slow. She has gotten rid of quite a bit, but we are down to things that require more thoughtful sorting and organizing, so she won't let me just do it for her, and it's like pulling teeth to get her to work on it. :thumbsdowns

IntenseMagic and SeattleSheri like this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I purge - it grows back. It seems like I'm always purging but there's just so much stuff. The garage makes me crazy. My hubby always says he's going to get it under control (he's said it for years) and he just never seems to get it done. My saying has always been "if he takes it to the garage/attic/basement - I'll never see it again.

So, I'm constantly purging. Sara @Tree City - I love your trick with the clothes. My DD and I are going to try to sell all of the clothes that we don't wear - we even bought a mannequin - and we're going through stuff now. I told her as soon as DH and I get back from vacation we're going to hit it and get it.

8. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

We purged SO MANY THINGS before moving. I think my mom filled her mini van to the brim at least four times. Plus we got rid of several car loads, sold some things, gave several big items to family, donated a big television, a fridge that lived in the garage, and all our living room furniture, and gave our friends some stuff as well. So much stuff that didn’t move with us. A few things- like the sofas- will need replacing when we move in next month, but 99% of the stuff we got rid of doesn’t.

9. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

OH I LOVE a good purge! We usually do a couple times per year- once before christmas (ugh.. toys...) and another in the Spring before our community garage sale. This last spring we did a deep dive- purged even more than usual & right after our sale was over, I loaded it all up & took it straight to goodwill! One of my summer goals is to go through this office/craft room- that seems to be one area I don't purge as often as I should! ;) ;)

10. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Our remodel is starting this week. We are renovating our basement, so we’ve been on a purging binge. I wasn’t able to get through everything so we had to relocate some to the garage. We will have a dumpster on site, so no more dump runs. I donated a ton to goodwill- including two couches and I listed other items on my local Buy Nothing group. I have a few things I want to sell too.

I borrowed The Life-changing magic of tidying up by Marie Kondo from a neighbor and have been working my way through clothes. It’s a slow, but necessary process. I can’t wait to be done. I’ve already start telling family members I don’t want gifts. I almost never need the items and then I just feel guilty if they don’t get used.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I haven't purged anything for a while. I haven't bought stuff for a while either (unless it breaks and needs to be replaced). Love the idea of the hangers here, indicating what has been worn or not. I switch up my wardrobe from summer to winter and the rest gets stored.

Tree City and IntenseMagic like this.
  12. IntenseMagic

We turned my older kids' rooms in to separate offices for DH and me. I still have a little work I'd like to do in each one, but it will come. I know when I start cleaning out a room, it looks 10 times worse before it looks better lol

13. IntenseMagic

I'm sentimental about some things, and there are a few things I refuse to let go of. But I totally understand. My mom really needs to downsize, but she just can't get rid of anything. She breaks down in tears when we talk about it.

14. IntenseMagic

I've been in my house for 28, almost 29, years. There are still spots, like the attic, that totally overwhelm me. It's tough when you have other things and other priorities pulling at you. That's why I have to wait for summer vacation to do anything like that. There's no way I could do it during the school year and have any sanity.

KimJ likes this.
  15. IntenseMagic

Same here. That's why I end up doing it almost every summer and always have just about the same amount of junk to get rid of. My shed out back is like your garage. It's crazy, and as soon as we get some decent weather I'm going to tackle that bad boy. I figure if I get rid of it while he's not looking, he'll never miss it hahaha.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  16. IntenseMagic

Nothing like a move to spur a good purge!! Good luck with the rest of move and on your new adventure!!

17. IntenseMagic

I used to do a mini-purge before Christmas as well. Now that it's just the one at home and he doesn't really have "toys" anymore, I don't do it as much. The community yard sale was one of the reasons I started doing this right after school was out. They always schedule ours for right around that time. I've quit doing it for the most part, because it wasn't worth what little money I made. The only stuff that I really got good sales from was kids' clothes and toys, and I just don't have much of that anymore.

amien1 likes this.
  18. IntenseMagic

Oooh I really need to have a dumpster here for my attic and shed! I wonder if we have a Buy Nothing group around here. I'm looking for a few odds and ends for my classroom next year. I still need to work on my clothes, but I guess I'll save that for a rainy day. I tell people no gifts as well and it has worked for everyone but my mother. I have never liked to tell people what to get me for gifts, but I finally decided that with her I needed to send a list of things I need so that at least she wouldn't buy stuff that would get thrown out a year later.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  19. IntenseMagic

I don't buy much either and am always shocked at the amount I have to get rid of every year lol. I'm not sure where it all comes from.

20. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Oh, it's so hard! I don't blame her.

We went to a downsizing seminar given by the guy who hosts the Hoarder's tv show. The most important thing he said was we're in a strange scenario today with so many different generations living: those who went through the depression, their children who learned to "save everything in case you ever need it", and the younger generation doesn't want the stuff at all, only throwaway IKEA junk. It's especially hard when everything we have reminds us of someone who's gone, which the kid's don't know or remember. BUT the silver lining is that the kids want the MEMORIES in place of the stuff. Take a photo and write the story. Tell the kids about things, show them places, etc. - but make sure it's documented. So, that's what I'm trying to do. Knowing all that has helped me go through things. My DD wants nothing, and if she does want anything it'll be a decade or so from now. She left the house and took nothing - only wants new things that are "hers". My DS, on the other hand, wants anything we can give him because it's free, but he's a minimum of 5 years away from moving out. So, lots of stuff!

I like the Fly Lady and her 21 Fling Boogie: Take a bag and go around the house and put 21 things in it that need to go. It can be 21 chewed up pencils or 21 broken rubberbands, but it gets you used to sorting through things quickly when you need to do it.

But I still can't let go of the leaf, twig and crayon drawings I made when camping in the Redwoods when I was five years old... and I'm approaching 60! lol!

IntenseMagic likes this.