App Scrapping - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by morgyns, Jun 19, 2019.

1. morgyns

morgyns Well-Known Member

Sadly my Mac-book is on it's last legs :(
    As such I need to get something to replace it. My husband really wants to get me an iPad pro instead of another Mac-book. For portability, connivance and also $$$.

What are the best apps to scrap with?

I have Affinity Designer already which is what I have been trying to use with limited success.

I have seen Procreate mentioned before, but not sure if it's better, or is there another option??

Any suggestions welcome :)

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I know that there are peeps who use both of those programs. I'm not one of them. But let me tag some friendly faces who do!

@SharLamb you use Procreate right?
    @Li Li Wee you use Procreate I know.
    @cookingmylife Maureen, you bought it recently didn't you?

@gracielou Do you still use Affinity?
    @sakura-panda Do you use Affinity?
    @busywoman139 You use both maybe? Am I remembering right?

morgyns likes this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

4. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

when Serif's Craft Artist stops working for me I'll be switching over to Affinity. However I'll be getting the full suite - Designer, Photo and Publisher. You need all three to fully replace all the functionality of Craft Artist. The latest versions of all three are designed to work together as one integrated product.

morgyns likes this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Another that I used on my Mac, and is also available as a full app is Pixelmator Pro. It's a layer based alternative to Photoshop. It's $15 regular version and $60 for Pro.

It's website describes it like this:
    Pixelmator for Mac is a powerful, fast, and easy-to-use image editor. It lets you enhance and touch up photos, sketch, draw and paint, add text and shapes, apply dazzling effects, and more.

With your computer on it's way out, you could try it on your mac, and then just switch to the app when you need. There is a free trial, I believe.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    morgyns and Angela Toucan like this.
  6. morgyns

Oh awesome I didn’t know that. I have 2 of the 3 available so I’ll have to get the 3rd too. Thank you.

Dalis and Angela Toucan like this.
  7. morgyns

Oh yes my husband has mentioned that is one he uses for work stuff. I might give it a go on his iPad first and see how I go, thank you.

jk703 likes this.
  8. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Yes. I use ProCreate. I hadn’t made a LO with it for several weeks, and was afraid I’d have forgotten how to do it. But I jumped in without missing a beat. Still enjoy it, and glad to have it for travel, or when I want to mess around while watching TV. I don’t have a laptop, so it is perfect for me with my iPad/Apple Pencil.

janedee and bestcee like this.
  9. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

No laptop for me anymore either so I'm the same as Shar! I use ProCreate on iPad Pro w/apple pencil and love it. I just learned how to use it by watching a few you tube videos here and there. I found it pretty easy to navigate and learn. Best part is ... the app is $10. Most of the last few layouts I did with with the ProCreate app if you want to check out my gallery. I really don't miss having a laptop since I have the iPad. Good luck!

10. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

by any chance did you bookmarked those videos?

11. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I scrap on an iPad Pro using Affinity Photo at the moment. Photoshop for iPad is in the beta stage right now and will probably be released in the next few months so I will most likely switch to that when it arrives. At the moment though, Affinity Photo is doing just about everything for me that photoshop did. The iPad and apps have really come a long way for the scrapping world and I only see it getting better as the years go by.

12. jenn mccabe

I probably have some saved in YouTube. I’ll check for you.

Dalis likes this.
  13. jenn mccabe

@Dalis here are a few channels I subscribed to.

Teela Cunningham
    iPad Lettering: Masking in Procreate:
    iPad Lettering Procreate Tutorial: How to use layer masks:
    James Julier Art Tutorials Beginners Guide to the Essentials and his Complete app guide for iPad artists:
    Art and Design Procreate tutorial - Drop shadows:
    Bardot Brush - she has many - here's one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo-dLMmViqw
    and her Intro to Procreate Tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI-ToB0tG9A
    Art with Flo Add text in Procreate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Okhh7WpSws

If you like the way some of these people teach - then subscribe and check out their other videos. They all have a lot of videos to choose from. The other thing I did is just search what I wanted to learn, IE: "How to create shadows in ProCreate" and went from there.

janedee and Dalis like this.
  14. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Belated answer, but I did buy Procreate but have so little time now for such great playtime. It will come and I'll give it a go later in July.
    Thanks SO much for a link to all those tutorials Jennn @jenn mccabe I can't wait to try them out. :circles

jenn mccabe likes this.
  15. ElizabethW

ElizabethW Pledging to lambda lambda polly

I have so many questions about this!! If you’re familiar with Photoshop/layers, is Procreate pretty easy to use?? Do you have to have the pencil? Is storage space an issue for supplies? I have an iPad Pro that I bought with the intention of using it to scrap but just never figured it out. I actually bought Affinity awhile back but didn’t get very far - maybe I need to play with it some more.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  16. jenn mccabe

The layers are similar in ProCreate. You don't have to use the apple pencil, but some kind of stylus would help with all the movements you have to make so your fingers don't cramp up. I don't store the supplies on the iPad. I use drop box to put my supplies.

ElizabethW likes this.
  17. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Have you considered taking your MacBook to repair shop? I replaced the hard drive of my 2010 machine for $300-400 and it works like new. It's a pretty reasonable option in comparison to buying something new.

18. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

Affinity Photo is the one that is similar to Adobe Photoshop, with the layers and editing, for making scrapbook pages. My understanding of Affinity Designer is that it is a vector graphics editor, similar to Adobe Illustrator, and less useful for layout design. I have both Affinity programs (I am only missing Affinity Publisher) although I've only used Photo in the past. I haven't done much scrapbooking in general -- outside of the Project Life App -- so my skills are still pretty bottom level with Affinity.

However, I did make some stickers for my husband's workshop with Affinity Photo on my Surface Pro and it was a better experience than PSE for me on that same computer, so I plan to start digging into it more (at least the Windows version).

There is a bit of a learning curve on the iPad, but the built-in tutorials are really good and I do pretty good when I actively use them -- I just get impatient having to research my every move. I purchased two Udemy courses to learn Affinity on the iPad and have not dug into them yet (that is one of my proposed summer projects.)

19. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Jenn, thanks for the links. I’m always scouring for new videos. I’m long in answering because, ironically, I’m “on the road” at the moment. We’ve been away from home a little over a week, and I’ve made 4 or 5 layouts using ProCreate. It is still more awkward for me than PSCC on the cpu, but each LO is easier, and I learn/figure out new things with each project. Just today I figured out how to make a “stroke,” just just drawing, with a square brush, around the edge of a photo, and holding the pencil on the surface for a few seconds. ProC automatically smooths out the lines and makes my messy rectangle into a perfectly “squared” rectangle. YAY! I don’t have to take my LO into PS to add strokes! And I’m getting so quick making shadows in ProC now, that I just go ahead and do it rather than waiting until I get home and putting it on the cpu.

Elizabeth, I think you CAN do ProC on the iPad Pro w/o a pencil, but I have one, and ALWAYS use it. Can’t imagine not using it. Storage hasn’t been an issue for me yet, and I have quite a few kits loaded onto it, as well as a few dozen projects, but then my iPad is the one that had the biggest memory capacity at the time I bought it (a couple years ago).

My biggest complaint when making LOs on the iPad is that it is not easy to keep track of the credits. I have to write them down because the name of the elements does not show up in the layers palette. Do I remember to do that? Never! So I could go look them all up (I never use just one kit), but instead I don’t post most of my ProC LOs because if I do, I am required to list credits.

janedee and ElizabethW like this.
  20. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Great thread! I’m going away in a few days and can’t take my laptop, so I’m going to try out Procreate on my iPad. Off to pick up an Apple Pencil!
    Thanks for the links @jenn mccabe
    Good point on the credits @SharLamb

jenn mccabe likes this.