DSLR photography for all skin tones

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by Juliestcyr, May 25, 2019.

1. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I know that photographing darker skin tones was a problem with film, and I know the problem persisted with digital technology to some extent.
    I was mostly using my iPhone to photograph Brownie and Girl Guide events and I noticed that the girls with darker skin don't photograph as well. Mostly I was cleaning it up in PS with brushes. Today, I brought my DSLR to our Craft Day event. And... it wasn't much better. I was mostly using the "auto" setting on the DSLR, but the "indoor" setting was worse. If I used a flash, the lighter skinned girls were white as ghosts.
    Any advice on what I need to adjust for a group photo where I can see everyone's facial features?

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

If you use Lightroom, you can us the radiant feature to lighten up the darker faces without changing the overall exposure of the photo. Shooting in raw gives you more control over exposure, etc.

bestcee and Juliestcyr like this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

4. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

My granddaughter is darker skinned than her mom, so I expose for mom's face. When photographing them together I often create a curves adjustment (pulling up the midtones) inverted mask so I can brush a bit of lightness over my GD's face, at a low opacity.

bestcee likes this.
  5. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

That article was helpful @bestcee ! And thanks for that tip @bcgal00

I've had a hard time photographing my kids with a variety of skin tones. Some of them get pretty dark in the summer. This might help!

bestcee likes this.
  6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I remember when I started converting my GK's pictures in the pool to B&W. They all had such different skin tones and I discovered if I converted to B&W that I had more control over their different skin tones.

bestcee likes this.