Father's Day | Pad Patter 6.16

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 16, 2019.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there and those that take on the role!

My DH got his gift a few days ago when the package arrived. He'd been wanting a bass amp, so I got him that and a guitar stand. Later we are going to grill steaks, and that's about the extent of our celebration.

Missing my dad today. It's always a little rough for me because Wednesday will be 7 years since he passed. The last time I spoke with him was on Father's Day 2012. My FIL passed just a couple of weeks after Father's Day in 2007, so it's a little rough for DH as well.

Anyone doing anything special for the dads today? Any great gifts?

2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

My dad passed away many years ago too. We're away at our trailer this wkend, but we'll head back over the border later this morning and we'll be out visiting Bailey for the afternoon and go out for lunch, her and my daughter have an awesome gift for my hubs, a Dr Ho's TENS muscle relaxant kit which is like a mini less powerful machine than what is at physio therapy. Then we'll go home and drop off Taz and head out to see Rocketman. Busy but fun day.

3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We're cooking dinner for my DH. He asked for meat loaf, mashed potatoes and green beans. It's just the 3 of us this year, so it will be quiet. Our oldest GS Cameron just stopped by for a short visit. He's "kind of" dating a young woman who attends FGCU (Florida Gulf Coast University), which is just a couple of miles from here. She just graduated and is moving to Jacksonville in the next couple of weeks to go to graduate school.

4. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

We will head over to DD at 1:00 for dinner (beef stroganoff). I just made a peach pie to take along with us. The grandkids were here Friday and crafted some fun cards for their dad and Grandpa. It will be a quiet afternoon.

5. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I really dislike Father’s Day. And Mother’s Day for that matter. It’s just not the same when your parents are dead.

Our plans for today - an outdoor concert with our daughter and her husband - have been rained out. The other daughter is nowhere to be found.

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I got donuts for us this morning. When I got back, DH was still in bed (it was not yet 7am, so no biggie lol), but DS yelled through DH's door "Aren't ya gonna get up for doughnuts?!" Ah, happy father's day, amiright? Around 1pm DH had to go into work to start some cultures. That was the way his experiment's timing worked out, so that's on him lol. But DS has been begging to go to his work, so DH took him along. They're back now, and he's grilling out tenderloin. (I asked if he wanted me to be in charge of dinner today and he said No. I did make lunch for the kids and me today, which means I was in charge of two whole meals today! lol.) We're supposed to get hit with storms, so I'm really hoping he's finished grilling before the storms hit.

7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We celebrated Father's Day at our house yesterday. My dad came over as well as one of my sisters and her boyfriend - so there was 8 total. Jay's father passed away when we first started dating, so we never really had a chance to celebrate him.

Jay wanted spaghetti (Daddy said to have Jay pick the menu this year), so I made a fresh sauce and had it simmering for about 20 hours. It was so good! We also had a green salad and for dessert, cheesecake with strawberries.

Jay got an addition to his man arsenal . . . a crow bar. The thing is red and huge and heavy. I said when we got it . . . this thing looks like a murder weapon. What are you going to use this for? We all laughed then, and then we laughed again yesterday because it was such an odd gift. Jay also got two new Alabama t-shirts - he didn't pick those out, those were a surprise!

Anyway, Daddy got a new t-shirt that says "King of the Coals" because he loves to grill, but it also says "Grey and Disorderly." We attached a $50 bill in the shape of a bow at the top so he can shop for his fishing lures and such.

I hope everyone else had a great day yesterday . . . no matter what you ended up doing!

8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Father's Day is no longer fun for me. My father passed away right before Father's Day 3 year ago. We had the funeral visitation on Father's Day with the funeral the next day. This year was rough with the anniversary of his death being the Friday before Father's Day. I paid my respects at the cemetery.

Mother's Day is always rough as well since my mother's birthday was also in May although they never were the same day since Mom's birthday was the 20th. I do go to the cemetery a couple of times each May. Always on her birthday to clean the gravestone up and switch out flowers and again on Memorial Day for both of them.

So yesterday was just a regular old Sunday for me. In fact, I never turned my computer on all weekend. Just wasn't interested in getting online.

9. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Sorry to all of those of you who have lost your dad. It's a good reminder to spend time with our fathers while we can.

On Saturday night we had my mom and dad over for dinner. We grilled steaks and had a baked potato bar and salad. On Sunday my hubby wanted to go to the creek with the kids so that's what we did after church. We packed a picnic dinner and just relaxed together. I also got him an indoor/outdoor thermometer (fun stuff!).

10. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Father's day is always bitter sweet for me. It's a long story, but I've never met my father (he's alive, but doesn't have a desire to have a relationship with any of his kids, sigh) and my step father was more of my mom's husband than a father. Nice enough man, just not a parent. I suppose I feel a twang of jealously to those of you who have/had a father figure in your life.

I do make sure to celebrate my husband and other dads. Yesterday my husband went fly fishing in the morning and met us for a nice brunch ... took a nap and then I cooked him one of his favorite meals.

11. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

The kids went with their dad to see his dad so I went to church, had lunch with my sister and her boyfriend and our dad (my mom was recovering from being sick), and then binge-watched "Outlander" on Netflix until they got back around bedtime. :)

12. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

We always made a big deal of Father's Day growing up, but to my DH's family it's just yet another day. It doesn't help that DH's scout troop always has a big campout over that weekend so he doesn't come home until around 4:00. My dad passed away in 2009, so I spent the day at church, staying away from Facebook and just doing stuff around the house, although we did go to District Taco after DH got home.

13. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Well, there are no fathers here to celebrate. DH & I never had kids, and both of our fathers have passed away as well as any grandfathers. So we did nothing other than to watch a DVD (Peter Rabbit). It was a quiet day...