Brushes with fame ! Pad Patter 14 June

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Jun 14, 2019.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm not really one to seek out or follow celebrity 'news' but this week one of my Pinterest notifications that popped up on my phone stopped me for a second. Apparently Vin Diesel is following me on Pinterest now - I know, I know; you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I can't help thinking that him scrolling through scrapbooking & craft inspiration & slow cooker recipes that make up like 95% on my pins doesn't really gel with the branding & persona of one of the guys from the Fast & Furious movies (that admittedly I've never seen).

So tell me about any brushes with fame you or your friends & family have had!
    (And is Vin Diesel following anyone else? Maybe he is a studying for a new film role :hehe)

(P. S. My DD googled him & looked on Pinterest & it's not his birth name & there's like 30 Vin Diesels so I doubt it's him anyway but that's what sparked this topic & it was definitely funny to think of him sitting at a table arranging paper die cuts, scraps of coloured papers & flowers!)

Ferdy likes this.
  2. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

OMG... too funny! No brushes with fame on my side. Now, Bianca knows Kendall Coyne (USA hockey women's gold recipient!).... and Kendall knows her by name!

3. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

When I was a kid Matthew Kelly was a big TV celebrity in the UK. When i was doing my service flash for Guides I was helping take a pack of Brownies to the Panto. Mr Kelly was a special guest in the VIP box. We didn't know that at the time, and one of the girls in my group managed to bump into a big man in a brightly coloured patchwork overcoat while running up the steps to the theatre (I still don't know how she didn't see him). I was a bit tongue tied when I started to apologise to him - having suddenly realised who the man was.

4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Last year (I think) I met a prominent tv host at an event they were patron of. Apart from that I was seen on the big screen at a sports match and on TV (was right behind the opposition team bench)

5. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I met Alex Trebek when I was on Jeopardy. I've met a number of Star Trek actors (used to go to conventions) and had dinner with the original Chekhov (Walter Koenig). I've also met a number of of best-selling authors.

AJK likes this.
  6. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@bellbird - who knows? Sometimes we forget that these are just people- when not in the spotlight- they eat, sleep (snore?!), and do the many other normal human things! lol.
    When hubster and I were on staff at Christ for the Nations in Dallas, Tx, Kevin (Sr.)& Denise Jonas would swap babysitting our kids and Joseph was in my Kindergarten class. Here is a video of the Jonases with Kevin Jr. singing lead (minus the two youngest boys, Nick, and Frankie whom I've never meet. Our daughter is in top right row green dress, and Joe(Joseph) is bottom row right in plaid vest. So I can say I knew them when...LOL!

Several years later at a Pastor's conference in Orlando, we literally fell into Chuck Norris when exiting the escalator. He was very gracious and gave us a signed trading card for our son. We then went to see the premier of The Passion of the Christ with Mel Gibson in person. You would be surprised how nervous he is off screen! LOL- see, they are just people.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I shared a seat row in the cheap seats of a plane with Coach K, the men's basketball coach for Duke University. The other person in the row spent the whole time talking to him.

8. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

DH is a cousin to international space station astronaut, Peggy Whitson. We got to go to her first launch! DH grew up on the family farm next to theirs and was a playmate to her mother.

AJK likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I met Sinbad, the comdedian/actor, in a bar my freshman year of college in 1985. He was just getting started. So much so that he was playing a show at a tiny private college in WV with less than 1000 students :giggle. I had never heard of him and didn't go to the show, but told him I did when we met later that night :p.

I also had a brush with a couple of members of The Go-Go's in a hotel lobby. They were getting off and we were getting on.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  10. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

a few years ago I was a heavy Twitter user and used to chat, and got replys from a lot of people...once a famous brazilian rapper, Mv Bill, chated with me and I was like omg! he is not my favorite singer, I don't even listen to rap, but he was, let's say in a proper way, that kind of bad boy that makes a girl dream, you know what I mean?

11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I met and talked with Roy Jones, Jr. and his entourage as the law firm where I worked represented him. If you don't know him - he's a boxing legend and he's acted as well - most notably in one of the Matrix films.

12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

My daughter would be envious of your Star Trek connections!

bonnenuit likes this.
  13. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I was able to (briefly) meet the country duo Sugarland when they were just starting out as a longtime scrapping friend of mine was friends with Christian Bush's wife & arranged passes for me when Sugarland came to sing at the county fair. That was fun!

14. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Sat and chatted with Neil Armstrong (First Man to walk on the moon) at a hospital I worked at when his father was in the ER for treatment. Of course, I had known his parents for years and he knew my parents. I didn't even have to tell him my name when I said hi. He knew who I was immediately.

Other than that, got nothing.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  15. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

Chelsea Handler, Rita Rudner, Joe Koy, Wayne Newton (he called me a "hot ticket", lol), and shared an elevator with George Foreman in an elevator in Chicago.

A few years back, Grumpy Cat (ok, ok her owners) followed my pinterest board All things Grumpy Cat. I thought that was cool.