He's 'happily' placed in a rehab...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by cookingmylife, Jun 14, 2019.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I should probably say it's more like he's accepting that this is what it is right now but is already chomping at the bit. That tells me he's improving! :giggle

Dick was discharged from the hospital Wednesday which ended up being a loooong process with a few snafus, including my noticing on his discharge paperwork that some medications/pills were to be administered by mouth. No no no...everything must go in via the feeding tube with pills crushed and mixed with water. (Yes it is a p. in t. a but...) The change for that one sheet of paper had to be referred to the Hospitalist, signed off by him, taken to the printer and given to us. Yep, an hour. But in the end Dick was untethered from all his lines and in my car just to hit our local rush hour at 5:30.

Rehab admission became a comedy of errors as it certainly seemed that all admission staff had gone home at 5 and none of the nurses or techs seemed to have an idea of who to tell that this man was here. Dick was put in a room (yes the private one we asked for) and then we waited and waited.... After a few trips out to the nurses station I finally found one who knew what to do as Dick's paperwork had been sitting on their desk for an hour. I did remind her that he didn't have any food since early afternoon and was to be on continuous feeding. That necessitates getting a pole to hang the food (which fortunately had been given to us by the Hospital !) and the key to the storeroom that had the pole was no where to be found. One nurse who released info like it was gold finally announced that she had the key. Sigh...a bit of a control issue??

By 8:30 Dick had his food and a water drip though no meds had arrived which was a normal situation we were told. (eek!) Fortunately Dick had his pain patch which was good for another day so we said goodbye, with a lot of Oh well...shaking of heads. At points like this you just have to go with the flow and lose some of the 'smaller' battles and win the war.

Yesterday we met the Doctor who seems very on the ball but occasionally said...I'll send that info to the nurse...with a bit of a raised eyebrow look. We get understood. Dick now has had two days with 4 different therapists daily, PT, Speech, Occupational, and another neither of can ever remember. That occupies his morning and the afternoon is given to rest or asking to be untethered from food and water so he can use the walker and walk or even go and sit outside which he's done. No PTs on weekends so I'll encourage his/our friends to visit!!

The only forgetful thing I did today is after going out for lunch with a friend, (Indian Buffet!!) I gave my credit card to pay and then we both walked out neither signing the slip nor getting the card back. Sigh. So tonight back I go to get it. Such things are part of my chemo brain!
    But Dick is really happy to be able to finally sip a tiny spoon of water at a time and actually swallow it w/o choking. The speech therapist lessons are really working for him and he's doing them. <--Amazing! I think we both now have tentative hope for the future and the knowledge he did all he could so far. That's a wonderful feeling. xoxoxo to all

bonnenuit, KarenB, KarenW and 7 others like this.
  2. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Oh Maureen. I am amazed at the strength that you exude. Glad you were able to squeeze in some delectable Indian food!:clappy Keep going with that joy- it is working for you!:beat

3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Glad he was finally able to get settled and that you both have a good outlook on things. You both continue to be in my thoughts and prayers :heartlub:heartlub

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Glad he's settled and it looks like things seem to be improving! So wonderful to read the speech therapy already is making a difference. I'll pray he continues to improve and to feel good!

5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I've been thinking about you both a lot lately. So sorry the transition wasn't exactly smooth but I hope things continue to improve with all the therapies (& that you get your credit card back- good to hear you got some time out with a friend though - all in, it's sounding positive! )

6. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Such great news overall! I hope and pray that he continues to improve and settle into his new place.

7. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Hugs & continued prayers! So glad to hear that you both have hope. I know how frustrating this whole process can be. Thanks for the update.

8. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Glad to hear he's getting settled in and that things are improving for him already! It's been such an ordeal for the two of you. You have such a good attitude for handling things!

9. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Yay for small improvements! Control issues are problems everywhere!

10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Great to hear the progress.. continuous prayers and glad you can get rest while he is doing his therapy.. hugs and prayers for Dick and also for you!

11. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

One up on the scoreboard in your favour, I hope for many more for you.

12. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

So glad to hear he's making progress with sipping and not choking. Wishing you the very best as always.

13. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Maureen, thank you for keeping us up to date with everything.
    That is good news about the improvements... may it all improve for him.

14. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thinking of you and Dick. Hugs

15. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

wow, they do not make it easy huh? happy to hear about small victories for Dick though. it all sounds so tiring - glad he gets some rest and down time to heal.

16. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

oh Maureen...this is so hard,I'm glad things are getting better...baby steps! keep you both in my thoughts!!

17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That is great news Maureen! I'm glad you're keeping them all in line and there to advocate for Dick.

18. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Glad to hear about Dick's improvement, even if it is small. Sounds like therapy is working. Thank you for keeping us informed.

19. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Thx for the update Maureen. I've been thinking about you. Glad he is in rehab and hopefully now things will go smoothly. He is so lucky to have you at his side. Take care of yourself and prayers and hugs to you both.

20. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Thank you all for your support. Today I had my meltdown as Dick feels that he will be discharged in a week. I just felt I couldn't handle that and truly need a couple days where I just sleep in and don't visit, make plans for his care etc. I just broke down when he kept talking about that and felt I just can't do it. At the point my mind just couldn't be in the same place I was when, at the hospital, when his discharge was imminent and the Care Coordinator suggested I go visit all the rehabs I was interested in. Like I had a free day or two??? I understood but at the same time I had to be in the hospital to catch at least half the doctor or hear what Dick heard from any one of them or what he thought he heard. For a time he had morphine, oxydocone and a fentanyl patch so I didn't always trust what he said.

Most nearby rehabs must pay their nursing staff peanuts and it shows in the attitude. But, after a couple of crying spells, I pulled up my big girl pants and said I'd look into home care for the week before I leave and while I am gone in Canada. Dick has the occasional accident and so he's back in the Depends as well as having the catheter. Putting a full rubber sheet on his bed was something he refused while in the treatment stage but something I did while he as in the hospital. Good thing. I will be happy when he is off, god willing, the last of the pain meds - the patch - knowing that his mind will be clearer and also god willing he has no more pain.

Each day seems to present a new challenge and I keep reminding myself that things are not happening TO me, they re happening FOR me and giving me a chance to grow. Sometimes I just grumble and say F*that! to myself but then laugh at my foolishness. Years ago, when I was 'between marriages' I had a few dates with a recent widower. I recall his huge dining room table just covered with piles of relative bills from x,y and z. Guess who has that table now even though the bills haven't started coming in yet. It's just various categories of important papers covering all current options in our lives. Oy vay, as they say... :dizzy

KarenB and Karen like this.