Popular? Music|Pad Patter 6.12

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Jun 12, 2019.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So, Monday night at Watch Cheryl Scrap, I said her layout reminded me of the Sarah McLachlan song "Ice Cream". I ended up singing the first two lines because everyone was all "I never head that song!". Me? I thought it was on the radio all the time.

So, then they mentioned a song called "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman. And apparently they all knew that one, but I'd never heard of it. And then I thought of the Taylor Swift song "Never Grow up" which is not as well known as I thought it was...

Which brings me to the question: Is there a song you like that you are sure everyone else knows? What is it? I'm learning what I thought was popular isn't as popular as I thought!

busywoman139 likes this.
  2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I didn't know any of them!

Only song I can think of that everybody probably knows is "Happy Birthday"

LOL

bestcee and BevG like this.
  3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

your love is better than ice-cream?! is that it? people don't know that song?! seriously? i wouldn't have thought that was an unknown - i kinda want icecream and chocolate now though :( - i think it was used in some tv show i liked ages ago at a pivotal moment- i wanna say Felicity or Angel or something like that but i'm not sure

hmmm, i'll think on the question - kinda related but it always blows me away when the kids, DD especially, start singing verses to songs that for no reason can we figure she would know - like she was rapping some part of an old Eminem song in the car the other day out of nowhere when they had a random flashback song on, and neither of us played that regularly (or at all) in the past, but she can pick up lyrics quicker than i can blink these days
    [​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  4. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Popular music is my bread & butter! :beat:beat:beat

I'm currently obsessed with The Jonas Brothers' "Sucker," BTS' "Boy With Love," and Shawn Mendes' "If I Can't Have You."

At almost 40, I feel like I should feel like that music is too young for me (Shawn, for instance, was born the year I graduated from high school)... but I don't. :giggle

AJK and bestcee like this.
  5. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I find this super surprising seeing as SCC is a Christian artist who is not played much on Christian radio these days as he had his heyday 20 years ago when I was growing up.

bestcee likes this.
  6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I am a music lover. I love pop, country, classic rock, alternative, some rap, and lots in between. I usually find a lot of good music - both mixed and known! :)

bestcee likes this.
  7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I don't really know any of the songs you mentioned at all :giggle I spend quite a bit of time in my car and I go back and forth between the classic rock stations and pop stations. I'm not a Taylor Swift fan, but her new song "Me" is kind of catchy and on the radio ALL the time here. My very favorite popular songs right now are "High Hopes" by Panic at the Disco and "Sweet but Psycho" by Ava Max. Maybe they are as popular in other places?

Pffft, I'm 53 and I love popular music and those you mentioned. Shawn is younger than both my older kids :giggle

bestcee and Cherylndesigns like this.
  8. bestcee

I'm horrible at names and artists lately. But I read High Hopes and thought "Whoops there goes another apple tree...". :giggle I'll have to go play that yours now.

AJK and IntenseMagic like this.
  9. bestcee

No music is too old or young for anyone!
    As a kid, my dad listened to the 50's, 60's and 70's oldies station. I know so much music from those years before I was even born!

AJK likes this.
  10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I do the same in my head every time I say the name of the new one :giggle

11. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Y'all are too funny! I knew the songs, Courtney!
    I wonder of "Old Town Road"

is popular outside the Carolinas? This is the "clean" version. It's not a fav of mine, but it is catchy and somehow is a peanut butter sticker in the brain. I don't like the "can't nobody tell me nothin'" part- for so many reasons, LOL!

bestcee likes this.
  12. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

DH and DD both really like Billie Eilish. I'd heard of her but had never listened to a song...and they were both smugly incredulous when they found out that I didn't know the lyrics to "Ocean Eyes." Sigh.

I'm a HUGE fan of Garbage and I'm always surprised when someone around my age hasn't heard of them or only knows one or two songs (usually "Only Happy When It Rains" or "Stupid Girl"). Their song "#1 Crush" is on the Romeo + Juliet soundtrack--the film with Claire Danes and Leo DiCaprio, for Pete's sake! :giggle

This thread is making me think of the board game Spontuneous. It's fun to play when you've got a range of musical tastes but not too different. (I hate playing it with my FIL because he pulls out words from old country songs. Not many music genres use words like "pine," "shabby," or "tractor" lol.)

busywoman139 and bestcee like this.
  13. bestcee

WHAT?!?! Not Special? I figured everyone knew Special by Garbage. How many movie trailers is it used in?

Tree City likes this.
  14. bestcee

I'll have to look into that game. I've never heard of it!

Tree City likes this.
  15. Tree City

It's fun and simple, which I enjoy in party games. :) You write down a list of single words from different songs. When it's your turn you say a word from your list and then the other people have 20 seconds (or something like that) to think of a song with that word in its lyrics. They must sing at least 5 words from the song and the word must be part of the lyrics. First person to correctly sing wins that round. I'm trying to find games that three generations like, and this is one of them.

busywoman139 likes this.
  16. Tree City

Right?!

Recently a computer company used a Garbage song in a commercial and DH just laughed and laughed. "Your fave grunge/alt band is now in mainstream commercials. How's it feel to be OLD?" he said. TBH, it stunk. :cry lol!

bestcee and busywoman139 like this.
  17. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

That is the music that I still love to listen to. Add in the early 80's. After that I switched to country music and the country music from the 90's/early 00's is still my preferred country.

I just never kept up with current music trends and since I don't watch many movies either, I don't get that exposure to various musical types.

bestcee likes this.
  18. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I try to keep up with popular music, if only so I can converse with my children who are exposed to a lot of the newest tunes.

I'm a huge fan of Billie Eilish. I love her song "Bad Guy" as well as "You Should See Me In A Crown." The lyrics are a bit disturbing, esp. considering her age, but it's really the beat/chorus that gets me.

I do like a lot of pop/summer hits. I like Katy Perry's "Never Really Over" and Ed Sheeran's duo with Justin Bieber "I Don't Care."

I'm a fan of Brendon Urie/Panic! at the Disco, but only because my daughter is a super fan and went to see them in concert this year for her birthday. I hear it a lot . . . LOL . . . I knew of Panic! from "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" but that was about it. I like Brendan's duo with Taylor Swift "Me."

@LeeAndra I like "Sucker" as well . . . Olivia is going to see them in August in Orlando. :)

Having shared ALL OF THAT (whew!), I will always turn to 40's/Big Band music. I love Glen Miller and Benny Goodman instrumental, but just about anything from the 40's makes me happy.

bestcee likes this.
  19. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Garbage??? Special?? :blush:giggle:giggleOnly song I knew/know with Special in the title is this one:

As to Sucker, I have to laugh- I can only see Joe as little Joseph in my Kindergarten class!!

Tree City likes this.
  20. bestcee

I'm dying laughing!
    Here's why:
    About an hour after I posted here, we got in the car to go to the pool. And that song was on the radio! Not Special by Garbage, but The Pretenders - Brass in Pocket! I made DH stop scanning the radio because it made me laugh and think of this thread.

Tree City likes this.