Simple blending of a photo into the background

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by cfile, Sep 8, 2017.

1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

[Photoshop screen shots but can also be done with PSE]

This was written for a request by @flowersgal Patsy who asked how I did some of my blend work.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Simple blending of a photo into a background

(Photoshop )

1. Start with a blank canvas. (My canvas here is 600X600 at 72 dpi)

2. Choose a neutral paper. One that is not busy that will allow the photo to mix well with the background. I am using a beige paper from Little Butterfly Wings Basic Kraft paper (PP04).

blend1_zpshkx9zu8v.jpg

3. Now select your photo. I will be using a photo from www.pixabay.com of the NY Skyline. It is a free stock photo.

new-york-1078135.jpg

4. Place the photo into your workspace.

blend3_zps0ffoayyy.jpg

5. With your photo layer selected, hold down the alt key (on PC) or opt key on a Mac and choose the mask button at the bottom of the layer pallet. (3rd button in). That will put a reverse mask on the layer hiding the photo. (Black = conceal/hide; White = Reveal/show)

blend4_zpsxev55gb9.jpg

6. Using a soft round brush and working on the mask layer and the color white, paint on the mask the portion of the photo you want to reveal. Use a soft round brush or one with texture. ( I like to use a canvas brush that I got with a course I took a few years ago). Remember if you get too close to the edge switch your color to black and go back over to hide the squared edge.

blend5_zps5m3dmtie.jpg

7. That really is it… you can then decorate as you wish...change blend modes and opacity to suit your needs. Here is my finished quick page using elements from the Sept. Create Crate Monthly. The font for the title that I used was a free font on Behance called Moon.

blend6_zpsaefxdqdj.jpg

A quick and simple page blending a photo into the background. Experiment with multiple photos blending together, or adding a framed photo of the original in smaller version.

[You can also clip a photo to a purchased mask or a painted area (screen shot shown below), but if you are using an older version of photo shop or PSE that does not allow clipping masks, the above instructions are the best way to achieve the effect.]

blend6a_zps1xmttaal.jpg

The finished page, with embellishments and a small framed photo of the original.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Nemla, Ga_L, Ferdy and 6 others like this.
  2. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Great tutorial, Christa. Thank you for sharing.

cfile likes this.
  3. cfile

:) You are welcome Cindy!!

4. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Thanks, Christa. You make it sound so simple. I think I only have the brushes that are standard. And just reading your tutorial without being at my computer I didn't pick up how you switch from black to white as you use the mask. Other than that it sounds simple enough... we will see.

cfile likes this.
  5. cfile

That is the default color of the background and foreground .. upload_2017-9-8_8-13-2.png That is the bottom of your tool pallette

When you add the mask, it automatically makes the foreground/background black and white :)

Re the standard brushes, just use a round soft brush then.

6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I always clip my photo to purchased masks, but this does seem so simple, I really should try doing it myself. That will solve the frequent problem of the purchased mask not showing quite all the photo I want to show, no matter how I transform it. I'm going to remember this next time I want to blend in a photo. Thanks for the inspiration Christa!

cfile likes this.
  7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Love your tut ... and your page Christa! So soft and pretty!

cfile likes this.
  8. cfile

:) Michele, yes you can do with the clipping mask too.. I do that alot... I put the paint layer underneath and clip the photo to the blank layer and then with a canvas brush or soft brush paint where I want.

Older versions of PhotoShop (cs2 at least, don't remember cs3) and some of the older PSE software doesn't have clipping masks so if someone can't do clipping masks then the inverse mask will do the trick! Have fun.. also with a purchase mask, you can always paint a little around the edges or where there is a hole that you want visable. I look forward to seeing what you come up with in the future Michele!! :)

michelepixels likes this.
  9. cfile

Thank you Jenn!!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  10. cfile

11. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Michele, with using a mask you can paint over the bits of the mask with black if the mask is black in the areas that your photo is not showing on. That is if the missing areas are the problem.
    I rotate, resize the mask in all sorts of directions to get the photo look right clipped to the mask.

cfile likes this.
  12. cfile

absolutely Anne-Marie.. i do the same too or create my own from brushes :)

13. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

The fun part of using a mask is that you can use anything as a mask. If you have a painted element in a kit, you can clip your photo to it. (my LO using Lynn's Sailboat paint) Or as in NBK's recent challenge where we clipped a photo to her magic lights. (my LO) It's fun to see what you can create.

cfile and mcurtt like this.
  14. cfile

Exactly Sandy. I use masks alot and other things as masks :)

15. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

nice tuto, thanks for sharing.
    I do that too but I apply a blending mode (multiply, overlay, or other) so you can have the texture of the paper on your picture

16. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks to you, Christa @cfile I have learned to love blending and I do it all of the time now. I could NOT figure out how to do it until you explained it so well in your tutorials. Thank you so much!!! Here's a new page I just created, not only blending a photograph of my GD Alyssa into the background, but blending two different pp's together first.

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  17. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

cfile likes this.
  18. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

19. Coreen

Coreen Active Member

kissed...i'm gonna need chapstick! lol

cfile likes this.