unspoken rules | pad patter 6.11.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Jun 11, 2019.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

[​IMG]

DD made brownies the other day and they were so sooooooooooo good and oh so hard to not eat them all myself while she was at soccer practice, but somehow I managed.... hehe

We have an unspoken rule at our house that the person who made them gets the last one. It applies to all treats and it's best for everyone if we stick to the rule. Otherwise, who knows how much grief it'll cause.

That got me wondering if others had rules like that. What unspoken rules do you have at your house?

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Hmm...we have a rule but it's spoken lol: No shoes in the house. DS has bad seasonal allergies (plus I'm a germaphobe and a dirt-aphobe lol) so I don't want shoes, which carry everything, inside my home. All the kids' shoes are in the garage--they're supposed to be kept neatly in little bins, but it's getting a bit messy out there.

There are very few exceptions to our rule. My FIL has some foot issues, but he has started bringing a second pair of "clean shoes" to our house. I bought a Silhouette image that says "leave your worries and your shoes at the door." I want to make a vinyl cut of it to put on our garage/kitchen door (the door everyone uses).

As for family unspoken rules...No food in the family room. I got a new sofa about 3 years ago and I admit that it was expensive and that I really like it. I don't want stains on it, so food/drinks aren't allowed. My kids follow this rule without issue (it helps the dining table is basically right behind it and they can sit on one side to watch the TV lol).

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. keepscrappin

oh the food rule is unspoken but should be spoken at our house too. It includes the bedrooms. My youngest DD is always taking food in her room and leaving dirty dishes in there... oy!

Tree City likes this.
  4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Oooh, for sure no food in the bedrooms! DD tries to get around that by saying "I'll use a plate." How in the world does that make it okay?!

keepscrappin likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We have a few spoken rules. Our dog gets NO human food and we always have to inform the other GK's when they're over. Even Asher will remind them. They feed their dog everything. I try really hard to enforce no food in bedrooms. We even put a little table and 2 chairs in the corner of our family room. Asher can't stand to leave his gaming long enough to come down to eat, but eventually he gets hungry. Haha He always promises he won't spill, but no dice.

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I like the unspoken rule about the baker getting the last dessert b/c that would always be me :)

In our house, there's an unspoken rule out about not leaving the toilet seat lid up b/c our doodle Taz will get into the bowl and play.

Same as Cheryl, we also have the no food allowed for our doodle b/c he has allergies and eats a very clean strict diet (he eats better than we do LOL).

keepscrappin and Cherylndesigns like this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Yes, they have very sensitive stomachs. We don't want Daisy to get sick in her crate at night.

Oh, Rae - I'm the same way with toilet seats!!

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. keepscrappin

@Cherylndesigns @bcgal00 No pets here, but I agree no human food for the dogs is a good one. Don't want them getting sick. And dogs drinking from the toilet, eww! Good call on that one.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Kayla, I'm like the toilet lid cop! I go crazy when somebody leaves them up. When we got Daisy, we made the decision that she would only get dog food. She can beg all she wants, but she never gets anything of ours. She gets really good kibble - not even wet food. I finally convinced my DD to start feeding her Doodle kibble - they wondered why she had intestinal issues. They still feed her human food, though.

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

We have a rule that if you put something in the fridge for later (including baked goods) you have 24 hours to eat it or it becomes fair game. Rosie and I are good at hiding treats though so we have a work around.
    Toilet seats must be down in this house as well.
    Cats are given some chicken bits from dinner if they beg sweetly.
    Love the thread though - great talking points.

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I have decided after reading this thread that my home is utter chaos :giggle

12. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

If we had any unspoken rules, they'd never get followed! As it is, I have to repeat the rules over and over and over again -- and DH chooses when he follows them or not (like standing at the pantry door and shoving food in his mouth while I'm finishing up dinner even though the rule for the kids is they're not allowed to snack once I start to make dinner). Ugh.

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I like that rule @keepscrappin We might adopt that over here.

Food in the bedrooms is definitely an unspoken rule. It's just something we've never done.
    Another one is that Mom gets a certain spot on the couch whenever she actually sits down. My kids know to move over.
    No shoes upstairs.

I know we have more...but because they are so natural I can't think of any off the top of my head!

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

No shoes in the house, wash your hands as soon as you enter (or even better take a shower) and wear clean clothes.

keepscrappin likes this.
  15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

No food in bedrooms. It's OK if you have water on your bedside table at night. Other than that, nope.

We do eat in the living room, which is open plan with the dining room. When we first got our new sofa, there was no eating on it, but it's no longer new . . . you do have to have a cloth or paper napkin with you now. You can't leave plates, cups, bowls, napkins, wrappers - they need to be thrown away and not left willy-nilly.

Shopping bags are unloaded immediately and put away in the fridge/pantry/cabinets and/or person's room (if it's clothing or something). Bags are put away as well.

All tabletop surfaces should be free from clutter. If you are using a device and are done with it, put it up. If you have paperwork or mail, that needs to be filed away as well.

Toilet seat has to be down. We don't even have a dog. It just has to be down. We don't speak about it because everyone in the house is trained to close them.

The person who cooks is not the person who cleans up, which is totally fair in my opinion!

I wash and fold the laundry for me and my hubby and son - they have to put away their own clothes from the folding table/hanging rack in the laundry room. My daughter does her own laundry.

No dirty clothes in bedrooms or bathrooms. All of that goes in the basket in the laundry room. I'm not going around collecting dirty clothes. Everyone follows this rule except for my son. He still will "forget" from time to time and leave them in his room. He would leave them in the bathroom (which is also our guest bath), and I told him if he didn't start picking them up, that he would lose a day of technology for every time I found them. That incentive worked. LOL

Now that I'm typing all this out, it sounds awful, but that's just the way I like my house. Everyone here is on board with it and/or they are trained to do it at this point . . . except for the boy and his clothes in his room. It truly does help to keep the house clear of clutter and we can have drop-in company at any time without having to run around cleaning up.

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I like your rule, Courtney.

Our rule involves vacations - we cannot eat at a chain restaurant when on vacation. Exceptions to the rule are only if we do not have that particular restaurant at home.

It's funny that now most of my family - sisters, nieces, cousins, etc., now do the same thing.

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We have this rule, too :) I'm really firm on this one!

keepscrappin and djp332 like this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

you have my empathy! it's like we have the same life. ugh squared.

keepscrappin likes this.
  19. keepscrappin

hehe... my girls and I are sneaky with the treats too!

20. keepscrappin

yep, those men need a whole set of rules just for them. :giggle