Uggh - what did i do now?! (blue box PS question)

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by bellbird, Jun 5, 2019.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So I 'reset my workspace' or something like that accidentally a while ago and if you've been using the same program for years and tweaking your setup ever since, you'd know how annoying that would be on it's own. Anyway i've been squinting at the icons in my Layers Palette ever since because I couldn't remember how to find that change the size screen. (I know I probably should have just asked here but anyway) So staples for example would take me forever to find because they were shown as a miniscule blip on a grey checkerboard background.
    **future note to myself or anyone else using Photoshop - you don't have to squint, just make sure 'Layer Bounds' is checked instead of 'Entire Document' in the Layer Panel Options box (in the dropdown menu of the Layers Palette)
    Capture-dontsquint.PNG

OK on to my problem:
    At some point while clicking and searching, I ended up enabling this blue box around whatever layer I'm using at the time, like the staple in the zoomed in screen grab below - (it's like a stroke around the edge of the whole layer (the invisible parts of the PNG included, rather than the default red Layer Style stroke that clings to the edges of an element) and it's driving me crazier than when I was squinting at the Layers Palette icons because it's messing with what I can see especially for shadowing.
    Capture-HELP.PNG
    Any ideas what I clicked and should unclick and where to find it?! Please and thank you!

2. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Do you have SHOW TRANSFORM CONTROLS checked? When I check mine & click on a layer, I believe I see what you are seeing... And FYI... I always use the LARGEST thumbnail for the layers panel. It makes such a difference, especially since I can't see worth a darn.

upload_2019-6-5_6-43-22.png

cfile likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Also another fun trick I learned along the way.... rather than finding the layer by looking at the thumbnail, if you have the move command selected (or hit hot-key "V") you can hold down CRTL and then with your mouse, just click on the item on your layout. That will select the layer for you. :agree

OR you can right click on an element and select it from the popup that comes up. It's usually the top item in the list.

Sorry I don't know about the blue box without having PS in front of me.

busywoman139 likes this.
  4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

ooh! i thought that was it but dang it, no i don't have it checked - i know what you mean though; when i check and uncheck the 'show transform controls' box all it does is overlay those squares on the corners (the ones you can grab and make it resize and warp all funny - i know I'm not the most technical of scrappers but shhh don't tell anyone #FakeItTilYouMakeIt )

5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this is how i survived really for the last while instead of always squinting at the tiny thumbnail! lol i'm about to give up and go to bed and hopefully by the magic of the international TLP forum, there'll be a (glaringly obvious, 'why didn't i remember seeing that option?!') answer here when i wake up!

Karen likes this.
  6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@bellbird Justine it seems like that may be slices is clicked.

Look under View and make sure under "show" that slices is not checked.. if so, unselect it and see if that solves the problem. It should not have a check mark on slice. Hope that helps.

slice.jpg

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Usually when something like this happens to me it isn't even because I've turned it on, it's usually because I hit a hotkey on accident that I didn't even know existed! :giggle Hopefully Christa idea is the culprit.

busywoman139, bestcee and cfile like this.
  8. mcurtt

I went & googled blue box in Photoshop. :happyclap

Try this: View > Show > Layer Edges

cfile likes this.
  9. cfile

I tried the google.. Hope the show unchecked layer edges fixes it :)

10. cfile

Marilyn @mcurtt @bellbird Justine @Karen Karen - Marilyn is correct. I tried it and omg that would drive me nuts... so yup View > Show > Layered Edges UNCHECKED will do the trick... it may have gotten checked by accident.

I love when we all work together to solve an issue :) Hugs @mcurtt !! :grouphug

busywoman139, mcurtt and Karen like this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

slices isn't checked

12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

george (bird) has found more hotkeys than i knew existed :bird - i think i was originally trying to fix something after he landed on the keyboard when i reset my workspace :badputer

Karen likes this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

oh thank you! thank you! you're right! and nuts is right! (i even tried switching out the darkblue background i was working with because the blue box against it was doing me head in all the more!) go team! :grouphug

cfile, mcurtt and Karen like this.
  14. cfile

I was getting a headache when I was testing it out.. LOL

bellbird and mcurtt like this.
  15. mcurtt

@bellbird One of my pet peeves is accidentally hitting CTRL R when I want to transform something. I always like to see rulers when I'm working in Photoshop. The first time the rulers disappeared, I was totally freaked. But then when I realized what I did, the R is just to the left of the T, at least I could fix it. But for your mystery box, I had never even heard of layer edges. Learn something new every day. :-)

Karen, bellbird and cfile like this.
  16. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Wow.
    [​IMG]
    Amazing team work!

mcurtt, Karen and bellbird like this.
  17. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

The power of TLP! Glad you got to the bottom of it though @bellbird

mcurtt and bellbird like this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

It is definitely nice to be able to type in my rambling & have someone figure out what to google from all my gobbledegook ! Thanks again to all the TLP tech team!

Karen and mcurtt like this.
  19. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Love learning from all of you!

bellbird, cfile and mcurtt like this.
  20. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Glad you all figured it out ... OMG - I hate when I hit hot keys by accident! :duh

bellbird and cfile like this.