Road Trip | Pad Patter 6.3

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Jun 3, 2019.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm on my way home from a quick weekend trip to family. 6ish hour drive, so we define it as a road trip day! It made me wonder, what do you consider a road trip? Is it distance? Time?

And of course, what's your road trip must haves?
    Dh is gummies and diet coke. Me water and crunch. Crunch is chips or nuts lately!
    Munchkin? His is longer: Kindle, root beer, candy and water bottle.
    Got any road trips planned this summer?

2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Well, have fun on your road trip, Courtney!! Sounds like you'll have all the munchies and drinks you need. Mine usually consist of driving across Florida and back to visit oldest DD and GK's. I usually go alone, so I have to have a couple of bottles of water and my bag of unsalted potato chips. I usually start off with a cup of coffee too.

3. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

A road trip to me is anywhere that's more than 30 minutes away from home. So it could be a half day trip, a day trip, or anything up to a couple months on the road! I have several specific road trips that I want to do someday - the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Great River Road, circle tours of the Great Lakes, and the Mother Road - Route 66.

Road trip must-haves: the GPS, good music, and snacks. I go by the snack philosophy I saw on Facebook recently - snacks like they were bought by a 9-year-old boy given $100 to spend at the store. :circles

4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Our road trips are usually anything that's over 30 minutes to several hours. We will make day trips to our immediate area and we still consider that a road trip, especially now that summer is upon us and all the summer visitors are going to the beach as well . . . the traffic makes any trip long. LOL

Snacks? Usually water, Diet Pepsi, something salty, something sweet. We also stop frequently for me to walk around and use facilities, so we have been known to grab extra stuff on our stops. Ha!

Oh, and I have to have something to read!

5. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We love road trips! There is SO much cool stuff to see just within a few hours of us! I would say anything over a couple hours is a road trip.

It's about 6 hours to my mom's house- we make that trip often! The must haves: me: pillow, water bottle, book or nook, snacks- I like almonds & crunchy things! Kids: pillows, blankets, books, headphones, my son brings toys, daughter brings coloring stuff. The hubby (usual driver) really only brings his big water cup but packs his pillow for our destination. We're all pillow snobs! lol!

This summer we are driving to the Oregon Coast, then my moms, then dropping kids off with my mom for a week or so, then hubby & I are going up to British Columbia for a few days! :)

6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

We'll be going to Michigan this summer. It's a 13-hour drive (including stops, of which there are at least 4 cuz kids lol).

IDK how I define a road trip. I guess IMO usually it would involved fun stops along the way to your destination...to MI we do NOT stop for fun on our way. So is it a road trip or just a vehicle-as-transport vacation? Hmm.

I need Lifesavers Gummies, water, somthing salty (usually peanuts), and a book/magazine. Not that I read much cuz I'm usually managing the kids and what they need. Thankfully DS is old enough to read, which has decreased the "I'm bored!" comments a little.

7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

My daily commute is 40 min or so each way, so can't really count that as a road trip LOL. I would say anything over a couple of hours is a road trip for us. There's lots of cool places to go and things to do within 2 or 3 hours from here. The beach is about 5 1/2 hours, so it's a good road trip, but not a day trip.

These days, all DS needs is his phone and a snack. I'm usually driving, so def something to drink and a snack. DH usually needs his iPad and doesn't really snack.

We are planning a few day trips to the amusement park (3 hours), a beach trip (5 1/2 hours), and probably some hiking spots, lakes, rivers. and museums (all within an hour or 2).

8. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

A road trip for me is anything that requires driving on the freeway/highway for more than an hour or so. I'm not a big snacker but I love to have an iced coffee to sip on and some water. The kids like potato chips and candy along with a soda.

9. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I love road trips. We just got back from DC. It's about an 8.5 hour trip.

I would consider anything more than 3 to 4 hours a road trip. We have to have audiobooks. Lately, we've also been listening to podcasts. And since it's special we'll get a big fountain drink. I usually pack water, snacks and if it's longer we'll pack lunch & stop for a picnic along the way.

cfile likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

We just took a road trip to Minnesota over Memorial day weekend to visit friends and for their daughter's HS graduation. It was supposed to be 6 hours... but on the way there is was awful... raining, lots of traffic and accidents, but thankfully we had all day to get there, so we didn't have to feel that rushing feeling.

I'd say anytime the family gets in the car to anywhere that we are staying overnight, counts as a road trip for us. I do usually try to pack a few snacks and water bottles, especially for my youngest because he gets so cranky if he's hungry. :giggle We also have a thing for stopping at Arby's on our way for road trips because we don't have one anywhere near us. We did just find out they are building an Arby's in the next town over, so my kids wondered what we will eat on road trips now. :giggle

11. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Road trip:
    road trip
    noun
    A usually lengthy trip taken in a motor vehicle, especially for pleasure.

RoadTrip.gif

I don't consider anything under two hours a "road trip", but it really doesn't matter, does it? :) Since hubster's interview went really well yesterday, looks like have several road trips ahead of us- all within next 2 months!
    Anybody here from /near Music City USA? (Nashville)

12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@gonewiththewind
    I would love to be able to read in the car! Most times I can't as it triggers dizziness. I take my lapboard, sketchbook and watercolor pencils instead.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  13. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Anything over 3 hours is a road trip for me. Must haves.... Dr Pepper.

Oh, and a GPS. Nothing else since I am usually the driver. Anytime a trip crosses a state line (well, except to visit the cousins when they are in Michigan), I make it a point to stop at the welcome rest area. Always for the restroom and may get a snack while there.

Hope to get the Michigan trip in this summer.

14. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Anything out of our metropolitan area is considered a road trip. We always take drinks and treats and pick up more along the way when we stop for breaks. Our drinks range from water for me to soda for hubby and the kids. We all like chips, jerky, crackers and fruit (grapes, cherries, berries).

15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have to limit it . . . I usually also have embroidery/cross stitching as well as drawing supplies. Also, sleep is good. LOL

16. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

A road trip is enough time to finish at least one movie (around 90 minutes) or book (my DD is a really fast reader!).

I have one kid who is almost always hungry & one kid who is almost always thirsty so we have to have snacks & drinks for all. I prefer clear-colored drinks and/or something with a tight lid + snacks that are not quite as messy (Goldfish crackers, fruit snacks, etc.) for them.

I always have a Diet Coke IN A BOTTLE (having a can open will make it go flat) but if it's a trip where I could potentially not stop (between 90 minutes - 3 hours), I will drink as little as possible so I don't have to stop. I haaaaaaate stopping but my bladder loves it so we battle it out. :giggle I don't like to eat when I drive but if I'm just ridin', I'll take chips & something chocolate, thanks.

I'm thinking about taking DD down to Mansfield to visit the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum (especially since she just did a huge project on her) but it's about 9 hours one-way for us so it would need to stretch out into a 3 or 4 day trip & I'm not sure I want to spend that much $$ on mostly gas & food for a museum visit that will only take a couple hours.

17. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

Road trip is any trip in the car made just for fun, and can be a drive only a few minutes or several days long. It's the purpose and destination that make it a road trip, not the length of time.

We always have to have our drinks (usually water bottles for the kids and my husband, and my insulated stainless steel cup with ice water for me. I'm the fussy one, I guess.) The kids bring their own car activities, usually something digital (like their phones or portable game consoles), and either a book to read or their drawing kits.

This summer we are planning to go on many road trips; I have a lot of family memberships around here and we want to take advantage of them this year! So, we'll be going to the zoo, and maybe a couple of reciprocal zoos (where our membership gets us a discount), the planetarium and a couple of science centers that we can get in for free (because of our membership to the planetarium) and whatever else we can fit in between cross country and marching band practices.