Menopause - have you been through it?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by gonewiththewind, May 25, 2019.

1. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I had surgical menopause starting in 2005. But never had a hot flash until about 5 years ago. You just never know when you'll get one and they are really embarrassing. But I found out about Amberin and have been taking it for several years without a problem. It really does work for me.

https://amberen.com

gonewiththewind likes this.
  2. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I take Relizen (Swedish pollen flower something...) to help with the hot flashes and they aren't too bad, at least compared to what others complain about with sweat pouring off of them. Mine are just little bursts of heat. Honestly, I have fans everywhere! My boss laughs because off and on all day I'll say "Alexa, turn on the fan...". I actually bought a ChiliPad recently as a splurge to chill the bed at night to see if that might help me with more consistent sleep. I guess it's luckier for those around me that my main complaint is that it's tough to fall AND stay asleep vs my having any mood swings. Like Christa, there is too much cancer in my family to take hormones so those are out.

Hot flashes in Florida in the summer are no joke @gonewiththewind , I feel ya!

gonewiththewind and cfile like this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I don't take it every day anymore either, Bev. But I feel it coming on and I take it. It has been wonderful for me. Glad it has helped you, too.

gonewiththewind and BevG like this.
  4. Cinzia

Cinzia Well-Known Member

I find that if I don't drink coffee or tea and exercise (a lot) it helps with the hot flushes and the crazy. The exercise helps to stimulate the liver to process the hormones faster and you have the added benefit of the endorphins. I am a Canadian who lives in Australia and took up figure skating at the age of 48 ... just another example of the irony of life.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    gonewiththewind and Karen like this.
  5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I'm 18 months no period - so I'm on the other side. I had the bad night sweats that required changing clothes, whole body hot flashes (multiple times a day), and brain fog. It lasted about 5 years. Had trouble sleeping too. The emotional thing for me was the opposite of most - I became more mellow. I felt like everyone around me was having their period LOL and I'd just look at them or listen like - why are you freaking out about this stupid little thing that was done or said? Now that I'm officially done - the hot flashes are way less, but I do get them occasionally - they are less intense too. I don't get the night sweats anymore, whew! I didn't take anything for it - just went through it naturally. Not sure how I'd handle the hot flashes with living in your climate though Cheryl. That must be horrible. I can't tolerate too much heat these days. I still love summer - but my inner thermometer is forever changed. It's a struggle to blow dry my hair some mornings! You have a lot of great advice and things to try - I wish you relief and comfort as you go through this. It's not easy!

6. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

@jenn mccabe This is so me! If I even think I am going to be hot I put the AC on, lol.

AJK, gonewiththewind and jenn mccabe like this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

So far I'm trucking along like normal at 44, but I'm taking notes as I'm sure it's coming for me soon! My mom was 47 and she said that it was just like someone flipped a switch. She had a period one month and then next she didn't and then never did again. She had no hot flashes or symptoms. I am PRAYING that I inherit whatever gene caused this to happen! :giggle

jesskab and gonewiththewind like this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I feel like I've been perimenopausal for a long time now. It's just everything seems to have increased incredibly in the past year. And the no period thing - sooooo looking forward to that!

We have fans in every room of our house, except the kitchen and dining room, and the bathrooms. We also have oscillating fans as well! It's just way too hot here not to have air circulating.

Bwahahahahaha!

Yes, calves and feet on fire!

Mine seem to be worse at night as well. My sheets are being changed all the time.

I've seen this gadget you wear on your wrist that's supposed to change your temperature. It's like $300, but if it works . . .

Thanks for the recommendation!

I'll take 'em!

Me too. I'm ready for that phase of my life to be over.

Thanks for the recommendation!

How does it feel to sleep on it? I really have thought about getting something for the nighttime!

Yep. NO JOKE.

I've started limiting caffeine already, so I just need to stop the one or two drinks I'm continuing to have.

It's pretty bad. I basically hibernate.

I'm praying that for you as well!

Karen and Cherylndesigns like this.
  9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

$300 for a gadget....yikes. I'd be doing a lot of googling to see what reviews are like. My little $5 fan hanging around my neck worked like a charm :)

10. gonewiththewind

Yes, reviews are very good on it. It might be something I get for my birthday as a combined gift from hubby/kids/mom/sister/dad thing. LOL

bcgal00 likes this.
  11. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

@gonewiththewind It's like a mattress pad but a little bit bigger but not bulky enough to feel weird. It will chill down to 55 degrees and up to 100 ish. Let's say 55 is REALLY COLD!! I've found that 71-72 is plenty cool enough to stop me from rolling around trying to find the cold spot on the sheets.

12. gonewiththewind

Thanks! I'll see if I can convince my hubby it's worth the $$ investment!

staciahall likes this.
  13. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Been "visitor" free for three years, YEA! Have had only a few true hot flashes. Once in awhile a night sweat- but that's been awhile. My issue is sleep, or lack thereof. I did start Estroven and found that to alleviate the nonsensical mind racing at night if I would awaken. Out of it right now and keep forgetting to go pick it up! LOL

14. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I'm gone through all the stages and am on the other side. I do have to admit my doctor told me at the time that to exercise helps it was the last thing I wanted to hear LOL but I did do the treadmill everyday and those times I was more faithful it did seem to help. I'm left with not sleeping as well and it was NEVER an issue before going through the change.

15. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Thanks for starting this thread Cheryl - it's been enlightening to read. I *think* I'm starting to experience some form of hot flashes/night sweats, but not horrible bad. To be perfectly honest, I will take either one of those (or both) over my period in a heartbeat. I'm absolutely OVER everything involved with that!!

AJK likes this.
  16. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I think I shared before with you, Cheryl. I am going through it at 42. I don't know about mood swings since I'm also going through the divorce. So, who knows what's swinging for what reason!?!

But the heat! I was having lunch with my mom & her bf, I was so embarrassed. I couldn't stop sweating & drinking water. They were trying not to let on that I looked crazy. I haven't figured out how to control it, yet. But, I fell ya sister!

17. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

My life is ALL ABOUT THE MENOPAUSE!! My life just feels like a sweaty irritable "I've been in a bad mood for a few years" mode.

I did the perimenopause phase about 10 years ago so I thought I had some time. Then like...Tuesday - insert random month about a year ago - it started and hit me like a train. I dont even like myself, y'all

18. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

On a side note, I did start this mineral in my coffee everyday about 2 weeks ago, and I have 100% less sweats at a moments notice. I have made it through an entire night without feeling like a Sahara camel rider. Most menapuase symptoms are a lot of mineral loss, and this was recommended by my Oncologist.

This is the oil, but I have the powder. Smells like...dirt. I dont even taste it in my coffee.

41VFcH1LbEL._AC_SY400_.jpg

weaselwatchr likes this.
  19. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

After following this thread I have to say I can't wait!!!