WWYD?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by amien1, May 20, 2019.

1. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

What would you do edition! [​IMG]

DUDE!!!! My new neighbor's dogs are driving me I.N.S.A.N.E!!! [​IMG]

Today this is ALL THEY HAVE DONE-- bark, bark, bark, bark, bark (and so on.....)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'm a dog person- I LOVE dogs. Our dog- Lucy lou- is our 3rd child. Poor Lucy. She likes to sit outside in the yard bothering NO ONE, not barking back at the neighbor dogs & just looks at them like "WTF is wrong with you!?" The only way they stop is if I make Lucy come back inside (which isn't really fair to her) or their owner brings them inside (WHICH DIDN'T"T HAPPEN ONCE!) *Like I literally timed them- 30 mins solid and then I couldn't stand it any more & called Lucy in. Just this last hour, they barked for a solid 15 minutes until Lucy chose to come inside.

HELP ME! How do I fix this?

They are brand new neighbors- bought the house last month, moved in, proceeded to cut down 9 HUGE pretty Pine trees (so now they are a giant fishbowl & everyone can see ALL their business), and put up a stupid fence that offers NO privacy due to the angle of the hillside (probably to keep stupid dogs from running away!) I have not met them, only because we have been super busy & then I was sick all last week, and to be honest, they don't seem very friendly when they are out & around the house.

[​IMG]

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I would bring over some nice dessert, store bought. Hey I’m so and so just wanted to welcome you to neighborhood.
    I wouldn’t say a word about dogs YET. But meeting them is important. You will get a feel for them. If they are butts from get go, smile and walk away.
    But they may notice your dogs are well behaved and ask how you do it.
    Then later you can go back, hey I’m the cinnamon bunn lady! Oh thank yous will happen. Then you ease into, I’m really having a hard time bringing this up, but your dogs are barking all the time.

3. amien1

I do usually give the other neighbors I know my left over cupcakes... maybe next time I bake some I will take some over! Thanks for the great advice!

AJK and Karen like this.
  4. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I have a herb garden that is very productive at this time of the year. I make a bouquet of herbs and take them round to new neighbours along with a card to introduce myself and welcome them.

Maybe mention some of your favourite dog walks to them, if conversation goes well, or on your second visit.

Tree City and amien1 like this.
  5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I think Anne and Angela gave great advice. I'm so sorry to hear this though. It's a really rough one because they just moved in and aren't likely to go anywhere anytime soon, so as much as I hate confrontation, this one is worth putting the effort into and addressing as nicely as possible. You'll have to live next to each other, so it's better to work together to find a solution and the sooner the better for your sanity.

amien1 likes this.
  6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I would offer a peace offering like others said, a welcome to the neighborhood.

After you feel them our a little, and during another meeting, maybe a suggestion and say that you (whether you did or didn't) had a similar situation, and offer suggestions to helping alleviate the situation. (Like leaving a radio on for their dogs, TV, or fan with white noise, bringing the dogs in occasionally).

amien1 likes this.
  7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

If your peace offering doesn't work, if you have an HOA, get them involved. You pay them dues, they need to do something about it :)

amien1 likes this.
  8. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I agree with being friendly, getting on their good side if possible. The thing is....if their dogs are barking a lot, that's their fault. They are not meeting the needs of their dogs, either through intention or through inexperience or lack of time to give them. Hopefully, it is not intentional and them just being dicks about it. Hopefully they are just busy getting settled and not focusing on the dogs (yet). But if you become friendly with them, at some point you may be able to (even jokingly) say something about the barking and they might realize they need to address it (if they are not just being dicks which you don't know at this point). We had a neighbor a few doors down who had 2 dogs that were left outside for hrs, ignored and, not abused I don't think but just ignored, untrained and I never saw them give love. Those poor dogs were aggressive and barked constantly. The owner said it was the dogs right to bark and although he rec'd many complaints, the SPCA was called many times, nothing came of it, no one did anything and the situation never changed. The dogs eventually became elderly and passed away.

So, I think the only way you might get results is with kindness. Good luck. It's a crappy situation.

amien1 likes this.
  9. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I agree with all the advice here. HUGS....hoping that your gorgeous yummy cupcakes will make friends!

amien1 likes this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thank goodness, with the HOA's here, I don't have to encounter this. I'm a huge dog lover, but have NO patience with dog owners who let their dogs bark incessantly. Back in the day, I remember that well, though. I have no advice that is nice. I'm too judgmental about irresponsible dog/pet owners.

amien1 likes this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i only have sympathy (and am amazed you ever have left over cupcakes!) - i've never been a dog owner so i can't offer advice and the neighbours that have dogs here generally keep them inside or well fed and we only hear from them during fireworks etc (it's the cats we have issues with and DH just threw some of their literal crap back over the fence at them this morning)
    i did wonder if taking a dog toy as a treat might go a ways to an icebreaker intro with your new neighbours (or is that to an obvious, in-your-face statement that you know that they have a dog b/c 1. barking 2.fishbowl (i feel bad for you on all accounts - a different neighbour just cut his hedges down to the fence line and his new massive shed with the corrugated metal roof shines a blinding beam of light into all our back windows now for most of the day - sunglasses probably wont help you but i'm wearing them inside more than ever atm)

amien1 likes this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Check your city bylaws for noise ordinance. Then anonymously send them the law with the part about barking dogs highlighted.
    Then stop by two days later when you know they will have received it with the cupcakes and sympathy. "Oh man! That sucks! Yeah, I've heard your dogs barking, but I always prefer to stop by and meet the new neighbors. Have you tried this or this? We did blank with Lucy to train her."
    :giggle

Cherylndesigns and amien1 like this.
  13. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Don't do as I do...when we moved into our old house, our backyard neighbors let their dogs do the same.exact.thing. all day 24/7!! By day 3 I finally stood in the backyard and yelled STFU at around midnight at the top of my lungs. Not a proud moment, but they got the clue.

14. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

As I was walking my dog, Daisy, this evening, for her "evening ritual" I was thinking about this thread. We have really mean, dog-not-likers next door, but they're gone for the summer back up north. They don't even want dogs walking in their grass and there are NO sidewalks in this neighborhood. We walk our dogs down to the cul-de-sac to (hopefully) do their "business". One night, our little elderly neighbor lady rang our doorbell and was hysterical because our next-door neighbor yelled out the open window because her little dog was on his grass. She was just beside herself and was gearing up to go over there and tell him off. We talked her down and walked her home and kept her from going over and telling them off. There's one in every neighborhood. :crazy3

amien1 likes this.
  15. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Anyone who lets their dogs bark for 30 minutes is either an idiot or a jackhole. Bringing over the cupcakes will help you figure out which. If the former, you can use the voice you might use with little kids at the dental practice and a big smile, "You know what I noticed the other day?? Your dogs bark every time my dog is outside. Isn't that the craziest thing? OMG! So funny, right? What do you think about maybe bringing your dogs in when they start doing that?? I'd appreciate it soooooo much! Oh, thanks, you're the best!' If the latter, you can involve HOA, the city, etc.

16. amien1

LMAO! The "I heard you say you floss every day, but your gums are bleeding like a stuck pig- so let's go over technique" voice!? [​IMG] [​IMG]

I was really hoping they'd be cool people- as the previous owners were a bit crazy... You just never know right!?

I have to say when I was right in the middle of this situation the other day- that thought was not far off! ;)

17. amien1

We do- and our fees are ridiculously expensive for our area. I looked up our CCR's about barking dogs & theirs definitely fits the paramaters. The only thing is they have to get 3 complaints before any action is taken. I put in an official complaint, hoping that maybe some other neighbors will do so too! I'm wondering if they have, since last night when we were outside playing with the kids, as soon as the dogs barked, the owners called them in. We'll see! I am baking cupcakes right now & will deliver some treats later today! :D

ME TOO! Why get a pet if you're not going to be responsible for it!? We treat our dog like a child, so of course she has the same rules (lol!) as our children. I wouldn't let them scream & yell for hours at a time outside either! ;)

Lol- It does happen! Often I make orders of only one dozen or 18, but most of my recipes make at least 2 doz. My family doesn't seem to mind eating the leftovers! :D

bellbird, cfile and Cherylndesigns like this.
  18. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

The HOA as a courtesy may have contacted them knowing they are new in the development and may not be aware. Good luck with the cupcakes :)