counting down | pad patter 5.21.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, May 21, 2019.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

[​IMG]

Only 7 more days until my oldest daughter leaves on her mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She will be gone for 18 months! She is first going to the Mexico Missionary Training Center for 6 weeks to learn Spanish and then to Salta, Argentina.

Things have been crazy busy around our house. In the last 2 weeks we moved her home from college, did a family vacation to Disneyland, had a farewell party with 90 people at our home and have been getting her things ready to pack. I can't believe we are in the final week. The days have just flown by and there's still so much to do. Ready or not, the time will be here and it'll be time to send her off.

It's also nearing the end of the school year for our youngest DD, so we're counting down the days there too. Only 8 days left of school... YAY! I'm usually not as excited for school to end as the kids are, but this year I'm ready for summer vacation. Bring on the sun and days of sleeping in!
    [​IMG]

Are you counting down to something too?

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    cfile and umyesh like this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

That's cool your daughter is going to the Mexico MTC to learn Spanish! My oldest brother served in Argentina and married a girl he met on his mission :)
    I'm also counting down until school is out. I don't necessarily love the lack of a schedule over the summer but I do love letting my kids (and myself) sleep in a little bit longer. We're starting off summer break by going camping so that should be fun too!

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. keepscrappin

oh yes the lack of schedule can be good and bad... good for the sleeping in and bad for the not getting anything done. :yup

umyesh likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

That's so exciting that your daughter is going on a mission trip! I'm sure you have all been super busy, but what an experience for her!

We're actually moving - soon. We decided to have our daughter and grandson move in with us, so we needed a bigger house. Asher needs his own room and right now he's been sharing a room with his mom. A moving company is coming this afternoon to give us a quote. We're only moving about 20 minutes away, but a move is a move. Haha Lots of work. My older daughter, oldest grandson and one of my granddaughters are all coming this weekend to help me start packing.

keepscrappin likes this.
  5. keepscrappin

Moving is a lot of work! I'm glad you've got some help with it. I want to move, and look at new homes off and on but don't want to do the work it entails.... too much has accumulated over the years. I really need to de-clutter and just get rid of stuff so when we do decide to move it will be easier. We've been in this home for 18 years and thought we'd be here 4 or 5. Boy does time fly.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  6. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

That's so exciting @keepscrappin !! Does she come home at all during those 18 months or no? (totally clueless how those work)

Good luck with the move @Cherylndesigns !

My kids are on countdown. They are down to 12 days. But, my daughter has a few weeks of summer school so IDK what she is counting down for. Haha! The thing I look forward to most is not having to make lunches. IDK why I hate it so much and they are definitely old enough to do it themselves. It's just something I've always done for them. I really should hand off the task though. When I'm away my husband makes them pack their own lunch and I'm always worried they won't have enough or will have too much junk. I guess it just gives me piece of mind knowing they have a good meal during lunch when I do it.

keepscrappin and Cherylndesigns like this.
  7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

11 school days....11 school days....11 school days
    :giggle
    And then it will take me a week or so to recover from going from 100 mph to 0. It's an adjustment.
    Also...
    7 days until my daughter's 24th birthday
    11 days until my son's wedding
    13 days until his 28th birthday
    1 month to DS #2's 14th birthday
    and if I make it through all of that....
    :hammock

Good luck to your daughter, Kayla!
    And good luck with the move, Cheryl @Cherylndesigns

8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Lots of countdowns for you, Jan! I thought I had a lot on my plate. We finalized everything today. The movers are coming for the furniture on Tuesday, May 28th. So it's official!! My "crew" is set to come this weekend to help me pack.

cfile, IntenseMagic and keepscrappin like this.
  9. keepscrappin

My DD won't be coming home during the 18 month mission. The girls go for 18 months and the boys go for 2 years. She is allowed to email or call/skype weekly. It used to be that the missionaries could only call/skype on Christmas and Mother's Day in addition to weekly emails. That's how it was for my son's mission. I'm not sure how good the internet will be in Argentina where she will be, so I'm hoping at least she can email each week.

You're a wonderful mom to make their lunches. I've only made lunches a few times for my kids. I always bought school lunch for my older kids, but when they decided they didn't want school lunch I told them they had to make their own. I buy stuff for them, but they have to put them together. My youngest never liked school lunch and I'm pretty sure she takes a lot of junk but I decided it wasn't worth the fight if she's taking the responsibility to make her own lunch.

10. keepscrappin

WOW, Jan you have a ton going on! Happy Birthday to your kids and I hope all goes well with the wedding too!
    You'll need some time relaxing in the hammock after all that!

11. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Might seem small to others but after 4 months of feeling crappy and fatigued I’m down to 14 more nights til my in-house sleep study where I’ll be put on a CPAP machine to take home

keepscrappin likes this.
  12. keepscrappin

That's a BIG deal Jennifer! Getting a good night's sleep is so important. You've been waiting for a long time and I hope the sleep study will give the answers you need to get feeling better.

13. keepscrappin

I'm so jelly you're getting a new place... how exciting!

14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

kind of counting but kind of dreading - i have stitches in one of my ears at the moment - quite a lot of stitches after a biopsy meant i had to have a skin cancer behind my ear cut out and it's itchy and catching on my hair and stuff and it's the side i used to sleep on and the last few weeks haven't been great so i kind of want them gone but it means more pain in getting them out, y'know - i'm just glad it's not full on summer still, the sweat would be driving me more crazy i think & small blessing, i can use it as 'see?! this is why we use suncream!' next time the kids complain :-/

(i don't know how all you mission families can manage saying goodbye to your kids for so long - college seems hard enough but anoter country with barely any contact even on xmas and such - i don't know how you all do it Kayla but i hope she enjoys it and at least her Spanish should be wonderful after this! )

15. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

I am counting down the days until we leave for our 3 week trip to Italy and Greece!!!
    Only 25 more days!!!
    Also, only 38 more days until I get to see my oldest DD (who is on a Rotary Student Exchange Program). She's been in Italy since September!!

keepscrappin and Karen like this.
  16. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Oh, wow...hopefully the contact with her will be good!

17. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I feel like my life IS a countdown right now!

Counting down until my husband is home on May 31... he went to PA ahead of us to start his job and is coming home for the actual move.

Counting down until Raileigh goes to Space Camp Robotics at the NASA US Space and Rocket Center. She received a full academic scholarship and will start a week long experience of a lifetime on June 2.

Counting down until the movers arrive on June 3... and also SO THANKFUL that my husband’s company is footing the bill to have movers pack our entire house, drive it across the country, and unpack it all for us.

And counting down until June 7 when we pick Raileigh up from camp and start the journey to our new home.

Karen likes this.
  18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Wow! Everyone has so many fun things going on! I don't know how you do it saying goodbye to your kiddo for over a year either! Yikes! Mine haven't left for colllege yet either, so I haven't had to do that yet. The longest I've had to not see them is for a week of summer camp which I usually love because Hubby and I do date week while they are gone, but I sure am happy to see them when we pick them up! :)

All of you that are moving make me crave the decluttering that I know would happen if we moved too. Plus and all new fresh and clean house would be awesome too. I feel like I should pretend we are moving and go through one room at a time and box it all up and clean everything and then only put back what I really need! I've been toying with this idea for awhile now. I think this might be my summer project. I have a few room I want to paint too! :agree

For us, we are counting down to summer vacation. I LOVE summer vacation even though it doesn't really change much for me because I still have to work, but I love the relaxed schedule for my kids. They can stay up later and sleep in all they want, plus since they are home all day, they are required to do chores every day and that takes small things off my list for me! Win-win! :) I think they have 12 days left after today. Yippee!

keepscrappin likes this.
  19. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Spanish in 6 weeks? That's an intensive course.

keepscrappin likes this.
  20. keepscrappin

I hope the skin cancer is all gone and you're healing up well.