Keep or toss?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by djp332, May 18, 2019.

Keep or toss?

Poll closed May 28, 2019.
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I know what you are talking about.. My Dad had that too plus that converter thing... like you said, nothing to use to be able to get data etc. I keep photos for that reason... plus I have the 8mm movie film from growing up. My husband converted most of them and put on DVD plus I have the mp3 s on my EHD and he wanted me to chuck the movies as we had them.. I will not get rid of them and have the box full of movies. I cannot do that. As long as our projector still works I will keep them

I do suggest though to those that have home movies and memories on VHS to get them converted over to disk.. after the years, the magnetism on the VHS dies and so the movie film gets lost/deteriorated. Those do need to be transferred over before the data & audio on them is lost.

djp332 and HavaDrPepper like this.
  2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

@cfile I agree about the old movies on tape.

I have had VHS tapes digitized in the past and just a couple months ago, I had some VHS-C tapes digitized. Found them during the great purge.

Having them digitized also gives the option of getting screen shots from them if you have the right software. The stuff I have on tape are things that I don't have photos for because back in those days everyone was taking videos. There was a photo on one of the first ones I had digitized that the photo is no longer around. I was able to screen shot it and printed it out. My cousin and I laughed at it... I was about 7 or 8 and he was a baby sitting on my lap. He'd dwarf me if we tried to recreate it now. Granted, it isn't the best quality but it is better than not having it at all!

Also, if you have slides, get them digitized as well. My grandparents were into slides in the 50's/60's. I was given a few that pertain to my mom's family after my grandpa died but my uncle decided the majority of them were of no use to anyone and pitched them without asking any of the grandchildren if they were interested in them. A cousin was really upset! Most of them were of the vacations they took every year. Imagine photos of historical sites from the 50's/60's... She was a teacher and could have used some of them in her classroom.

bestcee, djp332 and cfile like this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I agree with the screen capture.. I do that with the 8mm movies I now have on my EHD from the conversions.. i have a slide scanner and scanned a lot of what I now use on my scrap pages. I will say the slides are prestine and I also have Dad's slide projector that is "in the round" so while I have scanned them, I refuse to get rid of slides too. :) We also have reel to reel tape and I listen to my family from old parties every now and again. I did record them with my phone too but the reel to reel and the old reel to reel player are still going strong too. It is nice to hear my Grandparents voices again and also my Aunts and Uncles as well as my parents who have now passed away. The sound is perfect on the reel to reels :) I think the quality of machines (slides and such) back in the 50/60s was so much better :) Fun to reminisce about our times back then. The reel to reel to hear me and my brother as small children is priceless!

HavaDrPepper and djp332 like this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am the worst at throwing out printed photos. I just can't do it. Your plan seems great though, so don't listen to me! :giggle

5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I don't know how to answer the survey... yes or no to Keep or Toss... but my vote is to Keep. You never know. If later, all are scanned, and no one wants the images, then yes I would toss. But, if you have room, and can take them where you are going, I say keep.

cfile likes this.
  6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I agree with this! Perfect compromise!

djp332 likes this.
  7. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

In general, my answer is always toss when it comes to keeping or tossing but in this case since they're pictures, I'd be more inclined to keep.

djp332 likes this.