Keep or toss?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by djp332, May 18, 2019.

Keep or toss?

Poll closed May 28, 2019.
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

So, I’m moving and downsizing within the next couple of months. I’m purging everything. This week I’m going through all the stuff in my craft room, including thousands of photographs.

I’ve scanned just about every single one and they are safely stored of SD cards and uploaded to every imaginable place.

Should I keep all of them? I’ve already tossed quite a few and I’m beginning to have a bit of remorse.

Keep or toss? That’s my question.

KarenB likes this.
  2. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Keep. Just think of the old 8 track tapes and about wonderful old photos! You never know what the future will bring! I am voting Yes as keep.

cfile likes this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Unless you truly don't want to move them (and I totally get that), then keep them. My issue with all of my digital photos is the future: what happens when I'm gone? Will my kids be able to access my digital content? I like knowing I have print versions of important photos (I don't print every photo). Is it possible to go through and throw out duplicates or blurry pics, so you have, like, a more curated collection of prints?

cfile likes this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I agree with Sara... go through them and throw out duplicates and if you have time, organize them while doing so. I did that in October. During my basement purge, I found pictures down there and had bunches up here as well. I took the time to go through them, purge duplicates and organized them. They are now all in one place. Since I had Mom's photos as well (as a family, we made duplicates for others all the time), I had lots of really old photos that were duplicates. I had scrapped many of these traditionally and I even pulled out those scrapbooks and double checked photos to see if they had been scrapped. If they had, out they went.

Some of these have been scanned but many have not. Another project for another day.

5. djp332

So far, here’s what I’m doing. If the picture is scrapped and printed, then the pictures are tossed.

If we have no idea who is in the picture, the picture is tossed.

If the picture is faded beyond saving, the picture is tossed.

If the photo is over 60 years old and in good shape, I’m keeping it.

Who really needs 20 copies of Becky’s first grade picture? Not me and not even Becky wants it! Lol.

AJK, amien1, Angela Toucan and 7 others like this.
  6. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I think your idea about making the list of which are keepers and what to toss is perfect. I couldn’t throw them all out but there’s definitely a bit that need to go!

djp332 likes this.
  7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place! Good luck finishing it up!

djp332 likes this.
  8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

That is pretty much what I did!

It did bring back a lot of happy memories while doing it. An added bonus.

djp332 likes this.
  9. djp332

Yes, this whole getting ready to move has been like that. So many memories!

10. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

good post! I need to go through my photos too, have a lot from my mom and my aunt, quite a few heritage photos, so this will help me to think about what to keep!!

djp332 likes this.
  11. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I'd probably try to save some, but toss most. Even if you don't do it before the move. But, what criteria would you use is the real question?

For a mid-sized cull, I'd probably curate like an album - group by event, and then only keep what you need to tell the story, represent everyone who was there, and then only keep the best shots.

For a massive cull, I'd keep only photos that would be meaningful to those I'd pass them along to (eventually). In fact, I might try to pass them along right now.

jesskab and djp332 like this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I like this thought, but will your kids care about who's in the print photo? Are they labelled?

Juliestcyr likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm so the opposite. If it's scanned and backed up I've tossed them. We have some photos hanging around the house that I update every so often. But my son prefers to watch the google photo stream on our google home or look at the printed books with the stories. He doesn't care about the individual photos.
    It's a reminder for me to print and print often with books, but the individual photos have been tossed.

jesskab and djp332 like this.
  14. djp332

Haha! I keep trying to pass things off to my daughter already, and she's having fits about it! I said once I give her something, she doesn't have to tell me what she does with it.

15. djp332

I do print. A lot! I have 3 full shelves of scrapbooks.

bestcee likes this.
  16. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I like to think that they'll be interested in looking at the photos, even if they want to look through them only once before throwing out all but their favorites (if they have any). :) And all of my photos are labeled and most are already in albums. My thinking is that I like putting the albums together. If the kids want them, which I think they may, then they're all set.

And, if I may share my humble opinion, there is something comforting to me about holding a photo (or photo album) in my hands. While my kids are still young and their tastes may change, as of now they too seem to enjoy looking at photos. Maybe if I printed scrapbooks more frequently, then I wouldn't worry so much about the photos? No, that's not true: while now, in the digital age, I focus on "quality not quantity" with printed photos, I still think of my prints as another form of redundancy.

bestcee and djp332 like this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

We did this recently too & I ended up putting a lot of printed pre-kids pics in pocket albums & they were more interested in them than the scrapbooks I've slaved over about each of them - tried not to feel bitter :-/ Keep on as you are, sounds like its working for ya!

18. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I ended up scanning a bunch & organizing the keepers in photo boxes. I sorted them with index cards explaining whatever the occasion was & who the people are in the pics. I do better with that type of organization, rather than photo albums.
    School portraits & their birthday portraits are the hardest for me. I have a storage bin full of those. I don't have a lot of pics from when I was a kid, so I always buy school pics & have professional portraits taken on their birthdays. I always have leftovers & cannot let them go. I have gotten better about not ordering packages with wallets & sticking with the very basic order.

19. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Good luck Donna.. I need to purge as well and I have been the keeper of the family history, as it is only my brother and I.. I have no children so my nephew will get them. I keep photos of family we know. I have photos from my Grandfather's cousin and her husband... My Mom already went through them over 30 years ago and pulled out my Father's family from the cousin's photos.. now we still have the albums as she had no children.., Those albums while I have them will get purged.. I just have to "do it" I hate throwing family stuff out, but I need to get up the courage to just do it.

djp332 likes this.
  20. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I would keep them but that is me. I have read so many articles about technology failing or there being advances with technology making things obsolete.

We used to have this weird external drive that used these plastic floppy disks although they weren’t floppy disks. I honestly have no clue what the media was. Anyway we had all our old digital pictures stores on these disks. Well the drive stopped working and there were no support updates, so basically I lost all those photos. It makes me so upset when I think about it. Well that’s my dad tech tale.

cfile and djp332 like this.