Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 5 Discussion *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by weaselwatchr, May 12, 2019.

1. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

2. weaselwatchr

Let's talk about what happened!!
    [​IMG]

3. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neither necessarily in a good way...

Now I need to process WHAT. JUST. HAPPENED.

Kate and weaselwatchr like this.
  4. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I guess next week will be the final showdown.

I felt great satisfaction with Euron, Qyburn, and the Mountain meeting their fates. Hats off for Sandor Clegane.

5. weaselwatchr

Well Game of Thrones can’t give us a happy ending now can they? Lol

I will write some more tomorrow but I just feel blah. Dany went all crazy. Which was building up to that but still. Why?!? I thought she would just go after Cersei not burn the whole town to the ground.

The expressions on Jon, Davos and Tyrion summed it up right there for me because that was my face during the whole second half of the show. I guess deep down I knew they were going to go this route. I kept pausing it to see how much more time was left to gauge how much more carnage there would be.

Arya and the Hound. I really love how both of their individual scenes mirrored each other. I loved how it was shot. Very creative but very nerve wracking at the same time. Now Arya is going to be out for revenge again, even though the hound tries to save her from that life. The horse showing up was a bit over the top. At first I thought she was hallucinating or even dead. I didn’t know what the heck was happening.

And Claegan bowl. Poor Hound. Having it end the way it did. But I guess it ended on his terms.

This was a very bad episode for Tyrion. Having to turn Varys over. Saying good bye to his brother. Finding out Dany was a vengeful maniac one thousand times over.

Jaime, Jaime, Jaime... forgetting all about Brienne. He was definitely under Cersei’s spell. I liked it better when everyone thought he was going to kill her.

I don’t know if Jon or Arya are going to kill Dany. I would think Jon just because it would be easier for him to get to her. And yes Arya has mad ninja skills but it will just be more tragic if he has to kill the woman he loves. He just never is going to be happy.

Curious to see what @Ferdy @mommyish thought about the episode.

Kate, Ferdy and Chippi like this.
  6. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

@weaselwatchr Danica, I need to process in my mind, but:

- I don't believe it's Arya killing Dany, but I really wanted that! I feel that D&D (the producers) just did a big mess with the story. Arya is my fave since the begginning, but c'mon...she survived yesterday after all the fire and the city falling to pieces, and didn't kill Cersei...

- Jaime was dying, and then he was walking like nothing happened? seriously? and that talking with Euron, so horribly written...

- well, they really spent all the money on the CGI and dragons, that explained not having money for a better Ghost ending. right?

But I felt more emotional yesterday than on the white walker battle. Possibly because I could sse what was going on. Alll that fire really made me nervous and I had a few WHATTT ??? moments...specially the dracarys on Varys, I didn't see that coming!
    I don't like the way the story was told. I can understand a Mad Dany, but it seemed a little rushed, not enough time to develop this arc on the characters.

I read the leaked plot on the internet, but I was surprised on how the story happened. I knew that Varys was going to die, but the execution was hard to see, well done! but if the Leak is correct, I'll hate the end.

Kate likes this.
  7. AnjaDD

AnjaDD Designer

Well, I only have this to say:
    GOT S8 E5 was amazing AGAIN, as the whole season has been so far. Visually stunning, great acting, intense, moving and whatever else I can think of. I DO NOT agree with all the critics... bad writing, worst season ever... I think they're just frustrated because it doesn't go the way they had it in their heads. One can never please everyone. I'm GLAD that none of the far fetched fan theories have been right so far, I'm GLAD that the show surprises me episode after episode... and that it has me on the edge of my seat every single time. I'm just very SAD that it's about to end... and I cannot wait to find out how! Gosh, what am I going to look forward to after next week? :hairpol

Kate and cinna like this.
  8. weaselwatchr

I have not read anything about the end. I have tried very hard not to read any leaks.

I don't think Arya is going to kill Dany either. I think it may be Jon just because you could see how disappointed he was and shocked that Dany turned Drogon on the peeple. He would be the only one that could still get close to her. But with GOT who knows?

I agree that the episode was full of bad acting. Jaime should not have been able to move around like he did for the injuries he sustained. Especially climbing up and down stairs. He should have bled out way before getting to Cersei.

I think Dany's downfall had been in the making for awhile now. There were little snippets of it here and there through out the years. Even last season when she was burning people for not bending the knee. There are less sadistic ways of killing people like beheading. Even though she freed the slaves she always showed people she should be feared too.

Kate likes this.
  9. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

I’m still processing the Hound is gone. He was one of my favourites.

I wonder if there will be a showdown between Sansa and Dany. Sansa has her pegged and Dany feels threatened by her.

Was kind of expecting a more epic death for Cersi, was a letdown.

I agree on it feeling rushed at times to end things, wish they had a full season to wrap things up.

Driving appearing like that to take out Varys was WOW.

Kate and Ferdy like this.
  10. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

I guess I was right the whole time about Dany - and I wasn't surprised that she would go over the edge. The leads have been there for a long time before even this season started.

But I am so sad about The Hound - that was really one of my favorite characters in GoT! Who's gonna protect Arya and Sansa now?

On the other hand (hahaha) I am glad that Euron is gone. To bad that Jaime ran back to Cersei so easily - I was hoping for another ending for both of them.

Where does this leave Tyrion now that he's the only one left and with Varys gone? That and realizing the true nature of Dany?

My thoughts about the ending?
    - Sansa and Tyrion on the throne as a couple.
    - Jon killing Dany and going back as King of the North
    - Arya going back to Gendry (a girl can wish)

But then we have Bran.......:backing

SeattleSheri and Kate like this.
  11. weaselwatchr

Bran really is the elephant in the room isn’t he?

I was always hoping for Tyrion to end up on the iron throne. I actually love Sansa and Tyrion as a couple. I am not sure why people hate on Sansa so much.

And I also wish that Gendry and Arya end up together. That was the first thing I thought of when she left the Hound. But now it appears she will be consumed with the new person and dragon on her list. You cross one off and you add another two...

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    SeattleSheri and Kate like this.
  12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh so much to process. I don't LOVE each episode, but I don't hate them either. It's all too rushed and I just don't want the story to be over, but I understand this has to be rushed since they only had 6 episodes to wrap it all up.

I HATE how Jaime went back to Cersei. I really thought he was going back to kill her or at least stop her from hurting anyone else somehow. They spent years building Jaime up as a good person and as someone you wanted to route for and then to end it with him going back to her just didn't feel like where he was as a character to me at all. I also HATE how Jaime and Cersei died without anyone getting to out right kill her. She deserved so much worse.

Poor Hound too... but at least he got the only thing he wanted in life and took out his brother and it was fitting that they died in fire.

I really wish they would have shown Dany's face during her mad burning spree. I wanted to see something of her emotional state, like was she crying or raging? I didn't want to see her turn in the mad queen even though we definitely saw bits of her temper throughout her journey. She was always willing to listen to those around her who told her burning cities was not the way to gain her throne. I think she could have just burned the red keep and killed Cersei and not all those innocent people.

I feel like this is moving towards Sansa and Tyrion ruling together, maybe married, maybe just together. I don't know. But also, there's Bran. If his story doesn't impact the overall story somehow I'd be disappointed, but I also think it's going to have to be insanely clever for me not to be disappointed in whatever his twist is. If at the end, Bran opens his eyes and it was just a dream or something. I. will. hate. it!

I also can see Jon ending up King, but ruling from the North maybe because that really does seem like where he belongs. And there's nothing left of King's Landing.... so there's that.

I also wonder if Dany is just going to ride off on Drogon and go far away, which will be a cop out too. If they do kill her, I think possibly it will be Tyrion that kills her or maybe even Sansa? Or maybe she will kill herself if she feels guilty about what she did to King's Landing? I really thought that she was going to end up pregnant with Jon's baby... or maybe she IS? And it's dragons. Lol. I just don't know what to expect next week! I can't wait and also I don't want it to be over.

Wow... I just wrote a book! :giggle

13. bonnenuit

I like this idea!

weaselwatchr, Kate and Karen like this.
  14. Kate

Kate The Doctor's new companion

Unpopular opinion - I thought it was perfect that Jaime went back to Cersei, I never bought the idea he was going back to kill her, I always thought he just needed to be with her. I thought it was a great end for them both.

Arya's scenes in the city and how they mirrored the Hound's were brilliantly shot. I was getting a definite Star Wars vibe during Clegane Bowl - I even thought to myself, "Oh no, the Mountain has the higher ground! - and while I would have loved the Hound to survive, I guess it's fitting he died the way he did. Loved Cersei's awkward little walk past them when it was all kicking off too! :backing

Poor poor Jon. He's become a bit of a one-dimensional character of late but I really felt for him in this episode, he's going to have to give up either his loyalty to Dany or his honour / nobility to come out of this and either way is going to break him I think. Always presuming Dany doesn't try to get rid of him now that's she's gone into full Mad Queen mode... Part of me is wondering if we might get some sort of a nod to Ned Stark's execution, with Jon in Ned's place and hopefully Arya and/or Tyrion or Sansa coming to the rescue somehow. I'm interested in what Arya will do next given the amount of time she had in this episode and how her world and priorities have been turned upside down.

Seriously cross at Tyrion for ratting out Varys. Initially I thought he had told Varys about Jon because he knew that Jon would make a much better leader than Dany but didn't have the guts to do something about it and so was hoping Varys would help him out there. Really hoping for something outstanding from Tyrion in the final episode to redeem himself. I enjoyed him releasing Jaime, a nice reversal from when Tyrion was prisoner.

I would have liked to have seen more of showdown between Cersei and Dany (even if it was a few bitchy glares!) - there are so many parallels between them (women fuelled by loss, grief and a lust for power) that I would have liked something more between them. I also would have liked to have seen more of Dany's internal struggle / grief / rage / whatever was spurring her on.

The pacing has been shocking at times this season (along with some of the dialogue - Jaime and Euron fight scene, I'm looking at you) but it's still the most gripping show on TV! I'm going to be so sad when it's all over next week.

Oh look, I wrote a book too! :giggle

AnjaDD, SeattleSheri, Ferdy and 4 others like this.
  15. cinna

16. weaselwatchr

I was happiest was it season 6? When he didn’t make an entire appearance?

Karen and cinna like this.
  17. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I'm worried for Tyrion in the final episode...Dany did say that this was the last time she would allow him to let her down and then he went and released his brother, so I'm wondering is Dany going to kill him too? I hope not.

Interesting idea of Sansa and Tyrion ruling together. Whatever happens in the final show, I'm sure it is going to be surprising and as gripping as the last few shows have been.

Karen, cinna and weaselwatchr like this.
  18. cinna

Oh - and do you think we will see Yara anymore???
    And what about Bronn???
    What will happen with Brienne?
    And Sam and Gilly???
    Soooooo many loose ends right now!

Ferdy, Karen and bonnenuit like this.
  19. bonnenuit

Anybody else want the final episode to be 2 or 3 hours long to get all those loose ends tied up?

Chippi, cinna and Karen like this.
  20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yes!