March 2019 Book Club - Nine Perfect Strangers

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Here we go! This will be our second selection for 2019. :clap

Like I've been doing the last couple of times, I am posting the next few months (February -May) all at once, so we can all get these books on hold at our libraries in time. :) The book we will be reading for March 2019 is Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here(highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]

berniek likes this.
  2. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

On waiting list for both the book & ebook...we'll see which comes first!

3. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I finished this one the beginning of december (luckily got it really fast from my library!) Spoilers in White: I liked this one- it was funny & the characters were well developed. It felt a bit slow going at first, but then wraps up the ending in the last few chapters rather quickly. I love Liane Moriarty books- but this one seemed a bit far fetched with the resort leaders 'new direction' at the end. End

4. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I finished this one. It was ok...not my favorite LM book, but I did like it. The ending was a bit strange. I'll say more in March =)

Karen likes this.
  5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I'm with @amien1 ... it was a slow start and it felt much more like an alternate reality type of book than a "normal" book for her. I bawled at certain points, but some of the characters didn't grab me or perhaps I just figured where those characters' stories were going. end. I'll say more but I just wanted to jump in cuz I'm excited that I finally got hold of one of our selections lol! :)

6. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I'm in the middle of this one and like it so much that I have to tell myself to get some things done around the house before I waste the whole day reading more of it.

7. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Finished this one too and liked it. Good not great. I agree with Amie and Farrah. This was my first LM book. Favorite part (spoiler in white) >>>>> I loved when Masha's husband whispered to his grandbaby "That's your crazy grandmother." <<<<<END

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    KimGeling likes this.
  8. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Just finished Educated. You all need to add it to your list. Super interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karen likes this.
  9. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I had it and read like the first chapter before my loan was up lol! It's back on my (digital) library hold list; IDK when I'll get it again but I can't wait! Really liked what I read.

KellyM likes this.
  10. Karen

It's on my hold list too. :) My IRL book club is doing it for April.

KellyM likes this.
  11. KellyM

Make sure you check out again!!!

Tree City likes this.
  12. southernmother

southernmother Headed to SB for some cold brew & coconut milk

I have been so sick for a while, so I haven't been keeping up in here but I'm excited to see this is the March book because I actually *just* bought this. I've been really excited to read it!! I'll return once I've read enough to have anything to say!

13. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I had to read this really fast since 3 books became available within days of each other.
    >>>>I thought it started out slowly, too, but it soon picked up speed. I loved when they went to Tai Chi class since I also take that class once a week. I'm also wondering how they learned it so quickly since I've been at it almost 2 years and still have some learning to do! lol! I think Masha was a loon - locking everyone in that room for so long while she ate all the Doritos with the fake fire going on! It was great to learn what they all did after leaving the retreat.<<<<

I must say, too, that I really love this book club. I've read so many books that I normally wouldn't even pick up. And even better, I've liked all of them, too.

bellbird likes this.
  14. KimGeling

KimGeling Active Member

I read this at the end of last year and I agree with some of the other ladies. >>> I found it slow in some parts and far fetched in others, not at all realistic (not that I frequent that type of retreat anyway). I've never read Liane Moriarty's books before but if this is not her best work then I would try another. <<<

bellbird likes this.
  15. KellyM

I’m still on the wait list for this one! I have to say the longer I wait the more I want to read it!

16. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

I forgot to update after I read this because I felt so meh about it.

Like pretty much everyone has said, it felt a little unbelievable. Some of the characters seemed a little unbelievable. I looooved Frances though. I hope I'm that cool when I grow up. I really liked Tony's character too. End.

17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I've about given up on this one. I've supposedly been on the waiting list with the public library for months now. Scribd didn't even have it - I dropped my free 2 months, because I'm paying for Amazon Unlimited Reading. Of course, they don't have it either. I'll just wait.

bellbird likes this.
  18. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I really liked this one and have to say there are a lot of quirky characters here. I gave it 5 stars!

bellbird likes this.
  19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

ok this is the second time i've started this (i put it down a few chapters in before we went overseas in April and i had to start again to remember what was going on but it feels just as slow the 2nd time) and i'm at about 20% now and it feels 'meh' already to me too, like 'get on with it already' (and i'm also finishing My Not So Perfect Life at the same time and so the two 'retreats' in the books are looking very different (I'd much prefer to be a guest in the other book so far!) and i keep trying to remember who is who but i'm glad i'm not the only one - will push on

20. Karen

I had a hard time getting into this one too. I felt like is was 2/3 over before it even got to the plot points where I knew what the book was really even about. It also took me a long time to sort out ALL the characters and even care about them. I was going back and forth between reading the book and listening to it on audio. Without the audiobook I would have struggled even more I think, but I remember it took me a long time to finally finish this one.

bellbird likes this.