Getting/Keeping in Shape MAY 2019 Goals!! JOIN US!

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, May 6, 2019.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

May is here, and in my hemisphere, the sun is showing its stuff! Pools are opening and shorts are in a top drawer! Getting fit and healthy is high on my list and I hope you join me!

We do a fun challenge, a page is NOT a must do, but I am doing it, and a few others as inspiration and accountability for ourselves to press in. I am gonna do a book of my journey, so each page, makes me smile!

THIS month, is WHAT. WHAT are you doing or WHAT is working for you to lose the weight? I am committed to Cycling and made a page of my first couple long rides.
    [​IMG]

Also!! This portion of the Lily Pad forum has been featured on today's blog, to encourage more to get healthy!! Pop in and see your sister in scrap's pages to help you press in and get fit or healthier!

LoveItScrapIt, Cherylndesigns and A-M like this.
  2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Well losing weight has to be more of a priority than it has been - got weighed at the hospital today in preparation for my sleep study and I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been and about 15-20 kilograms heavier (30-40 pounds roughly) than I thought I was. Have no choice but to face the reality but feeling very depressed about it and not sure how I’m going to get out of this mess especially as it’s harder for me to loose weight with having PCOS and until my fatigue lifts I can’t really exercise either.

3. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I still have not created a page with the photo my granddaughter took of me. It is a shocking photo and I should enlarge it and have it pinned everywhere in the kitchen. The photo shows just how much I do need to lose some weight.
    This afternoon I head off to my weekly exercise class so I may take a photo this afternoon of the hall where we meet and create a page as these exercises are not only to help me lose weight but to help with my osteoporosis.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  4. AnneofAlamo

@littlekiwi
    You might look into keto, as it is especially good when exercise is not possible. I did it for over a year and lost 50 pounds before I started exercising.
    Oh @A-M , having motivation is a good kick in the butt. I had the ringing of my doctors voice. You can’t loose 50 pounds in 6 months. Made me so mad. I lost 52! Just to show him. I hope the photo pushes you to where you want to be!!

LoveItScrapIt and keepscrappin like this.
  5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@AnneofAlamo Thanks, I have been following some keto pages/groups on Facebook so it might be worth looking into. At any rate I do better being more low carb anyway. It’s just hard when the other half of the family needs more of a heart healthy diet

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@AnneofAlamo and @littlekiwi - what are your fav keto sites? I really want to do Keto but need a good push. Even some of your fav recipes would be an awesome help. Thanks in advance.

7. AnneofAlamo

oooooooooooh stayed tuned tomorrow! I am doing a recipe page, and am gonna try and do a new one each week! try but @bcgal00 is the one to ask, she goes to sites, and her pinterest is pure knowledge!

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. AnneofAlamo

the main thing in starting, there is a crazy phase at the beginning, called the Keto flu, it can really mess with you and cause you to give up..
    but, prepare with good low carb snacks, cheese sticks, pickles, broth!! I love beef broth in a coffee cup to get over that hump! salty low carb! bacon! rotisserie chicken (yes eat that skin)!
    make ahead lunches, plan until it becomes routine best advice.
    plan, plan and implement plan.

realize, you are never gonna replace your favorite donut with a keto friendly food that taste like that yummy starch/sugary treat. But, play and experiment!

9. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I think I got the keto flu when I have tried and failed in the past. I had tried back when Rae was doing her posts. I'll have to start again later in the month when we get back from Disneyland. I'm not going low carb there. I gotta have the beignets!

10. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@keepscrappin .... don't dispair.... @AnneofAlamo and I will help you....right Anne? Keto is actually pretty easy once you get the basics down. I'm on FB so you can always ask me questions there too (and here). I'm happy to help.

I started with keto, then progressed to paleo,then tweaked to a combination of AIP (autoimmune-paleo) and low carb. I eat more carbs now b/c I'm at goal weight, around 40-70 carbs/day generally. I like to cycle it up and down a bit so my body doesn't get used to the amount of fuel I put into my body, the same with exercise, I vary it, some days none, other days jogging, walking, hiking, weights, etc).

BTW....I can help ensure you don't get the keto flu. No problem. Contact me after your trip and Anne and I can get you started. I am a full believer that low carb is the way to go.

11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Well, I need to get back on the wagon! I was gone for a week and can I say I ate way too much and too much of the wrong food? I had "kankles" when I got home and they're slowly receding. Sodium is not my friend and while I'm at home, I can control my intake. When I'm away, we eat out a lot or I start snacking on all the goodies that are setting around. I spent a week with my oldest DD and family and they have "goodies" everywhere!! Here's a funny - all of her goodies say "Artisan" on them. I guess they're trying to fool us into thinking there's no sodium, carbs, calories, whatever you're trying to avoid or just that they were healthy. They were cookies, cupcakes and Rice Krispie Treats, etc, from the grocery store.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  12. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

With something like Keto, do you ever fully "graduate" from it, or is it expected to be a total lifestyle change in order to maintain results?

I successfully lost about 20 lbs 10 years ago doing WW (I didn't actually join, but counted points and exercised) and pretty much kept it off until I started TTC #3. After a M/C and some meds that made me gain weight, I gained those 20 lbs back and then got pregnant with Tyler (he turns 2 this weekend). I'm at my pre-pregnancy weight, but it's still 20 lbs heavier than where I want to be. I recognize my metabolism is slower than it used to be. Finding time to exercise is doable on some days but is a challenge and requires some creativity.

13. AnneofAlamo

I was strict keto for a few months, very strict...lost 40 pounds BAM...then started exercising. I had to lose those 40 to get to a point I could exercise (large I was).
    I now do a mix of lazy/dirty keto, with more fruit added and a full on cheat day here and there. I am exercising 2 hours a day (loving that) and not losing a pound! ha ha, but I have lost 5 inches off my waist! so something is happening!

but yep, it is a life time commitment...I eat carbs on a regular basis and explode
    [​IMG]

14. SeattleSheri

@AnneofAlamo that is phenomenal that you lost 40 lbs and another 5"!! Wow! ... and double WOW for 2 hours of exercise per day, you are a warrior!

Are mostly focused on cycling or are you doing other types of exercise too? I have an elliptical, but get bored of it, but I love that it's convenient and I can still kind of hang out with the family.

What's a typical day for you food-wise? Not necessarily quantities, but what are your big staples on Keto? My challenge is that I'm terrible (like truly horrible) at meal planning, so I end up getting lunch out when I'm at work. It's so hard to find healthy options.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  15. AnneofAlamo

LoveItScrapIt and SeattleSheri like this.
  16. SeattleSheri

Thanks for sharing the recipes! That cheesy "bread" looks super yummy. I'm a huge cheese fan! You are lucky your hubs is supportive and helpful (my hubby isn't unsupportive, but he has no desire to modify his own diet and it's super tempting with a bunch of crap around! :lol

I actually squeezed 45 minutes of elliptical in today after work, but before I had to pick Tyler up. Baby steps!

17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

@SeattleSheri I have the same type of hubby. He isn't interested in changing his diet/exercise which makes it really tricky when I'm trying to be good. I do have the one benefit that I do all of the grocery shopping so I don't buy the junk food that I can't resist. I can't have ice cream in the house or it magically ends up in a bowl on my lap somehow. :giggle

I don't do keto, but last year I started tracking my calories using My Fitness Pal. I've done Weight Watchers a couple of times and it's sorta similar, but with more freedom to pick what you eat in my opinion. When you're counting calories you know that you can't eat a donut for breakfast or you'll be out of calories by noon, so you just logically make better choices and eat more veggies to stay full longer, etc. Also you see a direct correlation between exercise and calories, so if I want my glass of wine at night, I have to go for a couple short walks, or hit the gym to earn my treat. Anyway, that really worked for me and I lost 30 pounds last year doing that. I still track my food every day and have kept the weight off.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  18. SeattleSheri

@Karen 30 lbs is awesome! Thanks for sharing your journey! I've used a fitness/calorie tracker before too. I seem to go in phases where I'm good at tracking and then other times where I just don't make time to do it, sigh. I sound really undisciplined, don't I? lol

Karen and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  19. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

These could all be me. In the past I've done the damn thing. I've invested all the planning and did Atkins to lose about 20lbs. I've used MyFitnessPal religiously before and went for my daily walks on time.
    But since everything with DH happened in the last year+ I just have no desire to do anything that takes more thought, time, or clicks than I have to give. I'm drained, emotionally and mentally, which in turn has caused me to comfort eat and gain most of what I spent years losing- back, and now that means I'm also physically drained.

I've thought about Keto, and the lazy Keto sounds like the most doable for me, I need something clear cut, BASIC, and it can be the same.
    If I have to eat eggs and bacon every breakfast that's easier than trying to meal prep etc. for me. Now that I'm the breadwinner and working I don't even come home and cook dinner any more. Which means we eat out a lot, or we all have different processed junk at home that we eat.

Can something like that be done on Keto @AnneofAlamo or @bcgal00

20. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@LoveItScrapIt Kiana....its easy to do basic on keto or paleo. It depends on what you want to do. First you have to decide if you want to severely restrict carbs (keto) or choose a more moderate approach with low carb (paleo). I don't feel that one is better than the other, they are just slightly different types of LC plans and its a personal preference and dependent on your goals. Keto is the fastest for weight loss but the most restrictive plan and paleo has more options, focusing on clean healthy eating with moderate protein, fats and good carbs (veggies/fruit).

I lost the weight/fat the fastest on keto but I knew that I wasn't going to stay keto forever b/c I wanted to eat more veggies/fruit so wanted to increase my carbs a bit so paleo was what I switched to as I got closer to goal weight and had healed my leaky gut. I cut out dairy except for a very infrequent indulgence (found out it gave me symptoms that I never realized before) but eat goat, sheep and buffalo cheese and yogurt.

On keto you will focus mainly on protein and fats (with or without dairy). On paleo you decrease the protein and fats a bit but add in more veggies and fruit.

Everyone's macros are a bit different but basically on keto, my meals were 2/3 protein/fats and 1/3 low carb veggies and a very small amount of fruit occasionally. On paleo, I have 1/4 protein, 1/4 fats and 1/2 veggies with moderate amount of fruit. I don't count calories, carbs or anything, just rougly follow the above given proportions.

You can prepare protein ahead of time (refrigerate or freeze it in portions) and pull it out during the week for quick meals. I bake veggies and keep them in the fridge for the week to add to meals. I cook rice and freeze it in single servings for my hubs (I don't eat rice). I bake sliced potato (for hubs) and sliced yams/sweet potatoes for me, and then refrigerate them for the week.

Hope this gives you some ideas on what you might do.