February 2019 Book Club - Where the Crawdads Sing

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I love that you were able to read it in English and get the dialect from it that way. I'm so impressed that you are able to not only read in a second language but also get the nuances from a second language! I also loved this one, so I'm glad you did too! :) We tried to do this for my IRL book club for June and still nobody can get the book from the library because of such long wait times!

berniek likes this.
  2. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

I loved this book!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I really really liked this one too. Read it in March.

4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I borrowed it from the library and never finished it. I need to get it back again.

Karen likes this.
  5. jaharvey

jaharvey Well-Known Member

This isn't a book that I would have ever thought of borrowing from the library or buying if it hadn't been on this book list. It took months on the waitlist before I was able to borrow it from the library. I absolutely LOVED this book, though it took a little bit at the beginning for me to get into the story. I don't think the ending needed to be cleared up, as leaving me hanging with just my own thoughts on what was done (not to spoil it) would have been just as good. I also thought I'd mention that the hardcover of this is in the British Columbia Costco locations right now for just $20 if you are someone who likes to add to your reading library. I know for me that books are like shoes … you can't have too many! (I will admit now that I'm adding more to my e-reader than to my bookshelves though.)

Karen likes this.
  6. Karen

Yay! I'm glad you liked it too @jaharvey ! I love it too. After the tie-ups at the end, I had to think whether I liked that or not... but in the end I did like it. I would have liked it either way I guess. :agree

jaharvey likes this.
  7. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

My sister in law lent me this book while I was visiting and I'm so glad she did!! Hands down it has been my favorite read this year.

Karen likes this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i think i'm gonna be the last person to read this one - i'm not sure when our library actually bought this book but i checked where i am on the queue after seeing it when i was looking for the Elin Hildrebrand Summers book and my turn for Crawdads is late September 2020, but it has reservations into March2021 now! that is so far in the future at this rate it might as well be a decade away!
    I haven't read thru this thread but i have some significant expectations now! if i got on the reserve list now for something next year, i wouldn't even remember i was in the queue!

Karen likes this.
  9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this was me too - so i avoided this thread but i'll go all the way back to voting and say i didn't even have a clue looking at the cover of the book what a crawdad was, i think the closest i can get is what we call 'yabbies', one of my nieces has/?had a pet yabby in a fishtank but i did a lot of googling initially
    [​IMG]
    and now i'm wondering because i audio'd it, were there any of Kya's drawings included in the 'book book' that i missed?? that would have been a selling point on the paper versus the audio for me. I do like audio for the accents which make a big difference to me understanding when language is so different even among English speaking communities.

And for the record - i did appreciate the time jump at the end and having a more definitive answer. the whodunnit kept me going but it took me a while to realise the two separate plotlines at the start of the book would merge and then i didn't want them to. i thought it was Jumpin that killed him, acciddentally, that maybe he arranged to meet with him, to talk to him and tell him he's on to him or whatever and then he fell and dies, kind of returning the favour after Kya threw rocks at the racist local boys that encountered Jumpin on the street that time (although i don't think it was clear whether Jumpin knew what happened or whether he just kept walking with his head down. I really don't even know how to rate this book - it was good but cringey for the most part to me waiting for the plotlines to merge and then waiting for the trial to conclude<< end.

Karen likes this.
  10. Karen

Yep... crawdads and crayfish are the same thing. I never heard yabbies before, but I like it! :)

bellbird likes this.
  11. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

So... I’m so, so, so late to this party. But this was my 101st read and last read of 2020. I did not enjoy this book. :hide

I am pretty confident my lack of enjoyment stems from being most typically a fantasy reader. Fantasy genre usually has so much depth, and layers... I love magic systems and complexity. This book was NOT that. I found it flat and boring. I completed reading it because I so rarely “dnf” a book... my workplace book club voted on this book and I wanted to try being a part of the conversation. With so many people raving about it, it had to be great, right? .... not so great for me.

I will say, what I liked best about this book was the atmospheric and descriptive moments. I was able to vividly picture the setting without having ever been there.

I think I, along with many of the other characters in the book, underestimated Kya and her accomplishments and the challenges she overcame. I was too busy not liking the book to appreciate Kya’s complexities. So I totally think my mediocre rating for this book is my own fault. I would still recommend this book if someone asked for something that fit.... but it is not one I will be purchasing for my shelves.

michelepixels and Karen like this.
  12. Karen

Wow! 101 books is amazing! I struggled to get through the 30 I set as my Goodreads goal for the year.

Totally interesting to hear your views on this one, especially compared to your usual Fantasy genre. And that's why we have lots of genres to choose from in the world, right? I'm impressed you finished it. I also hate quitting a book that I'm not loving, but I'm usually too stubborn to give up. Ha ha!

klee73010 likes this.
  13. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Seeing this thread pop up again made me realize that since reading this in November, I could actually contribute something here. Leaving aside the believability of a young girl in that situation being able to both raise herself and, once taught, bring her reading level up to the academic paper level, I loved this book! I found the author's descriptive passages of the swamp lands and the wildlife almost poetic in quality. She planted clues among the descriptions with such subtlety. And she was able to build the suspense during the trial section of the book. I would recommend this book.

klee73010 and Karen like this.