Printing Your Digital Art Journal?

Discussion in 'Journaling and Storytelling' started by Spacecadetswife, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Spacecadetswife

Spacecadetswife Well-Known Member

Wondering if anyone has done this? I'm getting ready to finally get things together and make it happen. Do most of you work on 12x12 or 8.5x11. I'm finding that I prefer my Art Journal stuff in an 8.5x11 size. Not sure why, but somehow that seems right.

Would love to hear what other Art Journalers do.

scrapsandsass likes this.
  2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I've printed lots of pages. I use Persnickity Prints. Mine are 8x8 and now I'm creating 8x8 books, instead of pages that go into albums. There are 30 pages in the book and a front and back cover, so you'll need 32 pages. They're SO cute! I can show you pictures if you want.

scrapsandsass likes this.
  3. Spacecadetswife

Love to see it! I'd never thought of doing it in 8x8. BTW I like your Siggie. I need to redo mine.

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Hmm. I always scrap in 12x12 and usually print in that size, too. But I've never printed an art-journaling-only album. Whatever you decide, please come back and show off your album!

5. Cherylndesigns

Thanks so much, Stephanie! I scrap 12x12, but print 8x8. I learned that trick a long time ago. It makes the resolution better. These books are so thin - that's one thing I love about them. I've only had two books printed out, but have a third one close to ready.

aj-fronts.jpg aj-backs.jpg aj-page.jpg aj-page2.jpg aj-page-3.jpg

The first picture is the front of each book, second one is the back. I just took some shots of the pages so you can see that they lay fairly flat.

6. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

8 1/2 x 11 all the way. I print on mat brochure paper with my printer. I also use Blurb's magazine option as it is also 8 1/2 x 11. I have been doing digital art since 2006. I love art journaling and vintage layouts.

scrapsandsass and busywoman139 like this.
  7. Spacecadetswife

Those are terrific, Cheryl! How many pages in your books? What about font size on your scrapbook pages? I mean for reading in an 8x8 size? I'm so excited after seeing yours.

8. Spacecadetswife

Marilyn, how do you bind your home printed pages? Going to check out Blurb's magazine option too. It sounds interesting.

9. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I just printed a 12x12 AJ book at Blurb (wait for a 40% off sale that happens about every 2 months or so). I started doing AJ in 2015 and wanted to document my progress, so I printed all the pages through 2017 (about 30 pages). In addition to the AJ pages, I included some of the MOC challenges where we had to write about ourself, etc. My cover is here:
    [​IMG]

AJK and busywoman139 like this.
  10. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I just use archival quality sheet protectors and put them in a 3 ring binder. A bit sterile which is why I really like the Blurb option. I can touch the page. And the page cost is ridiculously inexpensive. I use their premium paper option for the magazine, think Stampington magazines as a comparison.

AJK and busywoman139 like this.
  11. Cherylndesigns

Thanks, Stephanie! I have 30 pages in the books + a page on the front and one on the back. So, I need 32 pages to make up a book. The font is great - I don't have any problem reading any of it. I believe that creating them in 12x12 format and printing them in 8x8 is the key! Be sure you upload them as large as possible, too. Mine are uploaded into my books at 3600x3600 pixels. Persnickity will reject your print (for pages and books) if it isn't large enough. They need to be as large as possible to print well.

12. tam65

tam65 Break out the lawn mower!

I create in 12 x 12 and and print my art journaling in 8x8 and love it.

13. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

If I plan to print a page, I start with an 8.5 x 11 document. I always make AJ pages 8.5 x 11 because that size seems more like a "journal" to me than a square format. I print hundreds of scrapbook layout pages every year--mostly for my 3 grown children of their family activities. If I am doing something for a challenge I don't plan to print, I will uses 12 x 12 because almost all the templates and papers are for that size. I wish more designers would make templates, especially, for 8.5 x 11 so I didn't have to adjust them (difficult for many artsy templates).

I print my own pages for the most part, and put them in nice 3-ring binders (Staples has some cool ones in many colors) inside archival sheet protectors I get from Costco. Once in awhile I'll make a book through Persnickety Prints when they have a sale.

I don't like the feel of 12 x 12 books...feel like I need support under them to hold them up, so if I were going to do square, I would do 8 x 8...maybe even 10 x 10.

busywoman139 likes this.
  14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Persnickety has a sale today!

16. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

17. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

18. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

I kissed a frog!

19. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

20. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!